Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2022, 11:51 AM   #1621
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
How do you know he was being misled?

Gaudreau was being very upfront last season when he said that if Tre and management were happy with him then he’d be open to re-signing. Elliotte Friedman then confirmed with Lewis Gross that Gaudreau was indeed sincere in what he said.

Then there was that deal that almost got done prior to camp, but for whatever fell through. That was 2 chances for management to get it done. After that, it was always going to be iffy as the allure of the east/family was going to be tough for Johnny to resist.
Because if you are open to re-signing you re-sign when it’s clearly the best offer. And from his answers now, it’s clear he never was going to take Calgary’s offer even though it was the best.

I’ll put it to you: what evidence do you have that he was being “very upfront”. The results say he was “very disingenuous “.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 11:51 AM   #1622
sleepingmoose
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
Probably, the league will still want to protect the owner's reputations. I wonder if we will get the real story of what went down over the next few years.
But why would the agent need to protect their reputation?
sleepingmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 11:52 AM   #1623
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Imagine if Edwards screwed us out of a new arena and one of the best players we’ve ever had in a single year.

How wonderful!
*regular season

Flames have had better performances in single years overall...1989 and 2004 have a few candidates
Old 07-14-2022, 11:52 AM   #1624
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
It's a fact because he allowed the player to take right up to the last hours to decide.
If he had imposed an earlier deadline, Gaudreau and Gross would have known it was phony and arbitrary. They would have called his bluff, or else simply walked in any case.
Old 07-14-2022, 11:52 AM   #1625
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepingmoose View Post
To protect his. If he's out there airing dirty laundry, he still needs to deal with that fraternity.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 11:53 AM   #1626
Press Level
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

delete
Press Level is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 11:53 AM   #1627
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Would his agent say that Calgary did everything they could if Murray Edwards effed it up though?
Somebody made the comment yesterday that seems to make sense now too...maybe the agent was covering his own butt.

Gross negotiated a strong and very good offer from Calgary at $10.5M x 8.

Looks like Gaudreau for whatever reason didn't want that offer. Whether it be family or something behind the scenes.

Gross maybe knew the market was soft and would be throwing him under the bus for "misleading Johnny" when he signed the next day for substantially less than the Flames offer.

In the end something does seem off and it seems like it went sour Tuesday afternoon.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 11:54 AM   #1628
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Still need to be friendly with the people who eventually get him paid. What does the agent gain by saying Murray Edwards was a complete ####### that burned the bridge. GMs might tell his clients to ditch him.
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 11:54 AM   #1629
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
Wtf does Jordan Peterson (vomit) have to do with anything here?
DjsFlames is doing is best discount JP impression and playing victim when people don’t like that his gender views give off incel vibes.

FireSeven is a fan, I guess.

“There are dozens of us!”
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2022, 11:54 AM   #1630
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
*regular season

Flames have had better performances in single years overall...1989 and 2004 have a few candidates
He's saying in a single year Edwards has ####ed up an arena deal and a top player deal.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 11:55 AM   #1631
Poison
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
Shouldn't the team be able to figure this out as well? Shouldn't they be able to read the player and the player's comments/behaviors??? The fans and some of the media had this figured out a long time ago, what was the team missing?
Oh ya? So put words in players mouths if they dont say that? Thats a good look for a franchise.
Poison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 11:55 AM   #1632
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
No kidding. Some completely embarrassing stuff being posted here. Reminds me of how we all laughed at Edmonton fans when the debacle with Pronger happened. Guaranteed that lurkers are laughing at us for some of what's been written.

Especially shame on some people crapping on his family posting about the times they enjoyed in Calgary. His uncle said he interacted with Flames' fans and probably has an account on CP. I hope for his own sake he stops reading this thread. Very strange to see the videos of the Flames thanking him, his family posting thanks, and yet so very few 'thanks' from CP. I would never have guessed that after the years he put here. Honestly makes me a little sad to see it come to this. Hilarious what the end result is, but sad that his legacy is tarnished forever.

Ultimately I enjoyed his time here in Calgary and sounds like I'll be one of the few who isn't going to boo him when he returns. Hopefully cooler heads prevail because pretty much the majority of his time here he was a pleasure to watch on the ice.

Baffling decision for sure to leave like this, but ultimately this is a game millionaires play and people, especially Canadian hockey fans, get way to riled up when their favorite hero leaves. You can be sure next time a player is debating whether to play for this team that their agent is going to tell them to do some research about this fanbase to get a feel for how it would go, and this thread will potentially pop up.

Ugly divorce for sure. But hopefully this is a lesson to fans and management about going into a season with a pending UFA and while the team might be doing good, the hard decision to at least look at a trade needs to be considered.
Yah, I was hoping Flames fans would be better than this, but I guess that's an unfair expectation. I get fans are hot right now, but some of the stuff posted in this thread is just outright embarrassing. I really hope people leave his family out of this and it doesn't sour their perception of Calgary as a whole, but again, I'm not expecting much since social media seems to bring out the worst in most people.

But I know I'm still grateful for the fun 8 years of entertainment Johnny has provided me, and I'll definitely be clapping when we play his tribute video at the Dome.

Last edited by The Yen Man; 07-14-2022 at 11:57 AM.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 11:55 AM   #1633
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
*regular season

I mean the same year, sorry. No arena and no Johnny, maybe because of Edwards being a hothead? I dunno, but that would suck and spell bad things for our entire future with him as an owner.
Old 07-14-2022, 11:56 AM   #1634
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
Shouldn't the team be able to figure this out as well? Shouldn't they be able to read the player and the player's comments/behaviors??? The fans and some of the media had this figured out a long time ago, what was the team missing?
The player’s comments were “I’d be happy to sign with Calgary at the right deal”. His behaviour was negotiating the highest paying deal with Calgary, making him the 5th biggest NHL contract ever (and getting the most money ever for a winger).

Treliving decides to trade him for peanuts in 2021 because he doesn’t trust Gross and you’d be”how could he let him go when he said he’d do a deal”. Why did Gaudreau even counter the initial offer? Why not just say “I’ve changed my mind and want to go UFA”?
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 11:57 AM   #1635
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey_Ninja View Post
Turns out I’m a dumbass and halfway to work I realized I wasn’t wearing the jersey
Careful, next time you’ll find yourself half way to Columbus.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 11:57 AM   #1636
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Re-signing your own players, at higher cap hits, does not make you better.

It is valid to argue that Campbell is better than Smith, but I don't think so, personally. And he certainly wasn't last year. Campbell had worse numbers on a better team, and that team let him walk. We'll see how it goes in Edmonton for him, but that defense is atrocious.
Yeah and the Flames would’ve been the poster boy of re-signing your own players to higher cap hits this offseason.

The truth is, the Oilers now have the same cast of characters coming back who beat the Flames in 5. The Flames on the otherhand were going to have to trade away depth and would not have been better this coming season. So the math theoretically would favor the Oilers here.

In the end, it’s probably as simple as they have McDavid + Draisaitl and we don’t. Just like how the Avalanche have Makar and McKinnon or Tampa has Kucherov, Hedman and Vasilevsky. We just don’t/didn’t have the same horses to compete in the playoffs against these superstar-laden teams.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 11:58 AM   #1637
Poison
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
He's saying in a single year Edwards has ####ed up an arena deal and a top player deal.
The arena deal is f***ed up because of the mayor we had/mayor we have now. Any other thinking is ludicrous
Poison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Poison For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2022, 11:58 AM   #1638
Steve Macfarlane
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Bottom line - Gaudreau earned the right to decide whether to stay or go right until the last day. I believe he did exactly that. He didn't know and couldn't make the choice until he had no more time. He decided Calgary was not the best place for him to live the next seven or eight years of his life. That's more than hockey, more than money. After that decision is made, he had to look at the other teams he circled and the one he chose speaks volumes about how he wants to live and what his family needs. I'm sure more details will come out over time but it's a personal decision and it's a business that doesn't often give players the option to make this massive life-altering decisions.

https://calgaryhockeynow.com/calgary...kets-decision/
Steve Macfarlane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Macfarlane For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2022, 11:59 AM   #1639
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
Yeah and the Flames would’ve been the poster boy of re-signing your own players to higher cap hits this offseason.

The truth is, the Oilers now have the same cast of characters coming back who beat the Flames in 5. The Flames on the otherhand were going to have to trade away depth and would not have been better this coming season. So the math theoretically would favor the Oilers here.

In the end, it’s probably as simple as they have McDavid + Draisaitl and we don’t. Just like how the Avalanche have Makar and McKinnon or Tampa has Kucherov, Hedman and Vasilevsky. We just don’t/didn’t have the same horses to compete in the playoffs against these superstar-laden teams.
So your point is that the Oilers are better than the Flames even after free agency?

Wow dude, we just lost Gaudreau, making this an absolute scorcher of a take. 10/10.
Old 07-14-2022, 12:00 PM   #1640
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poison View Post
The arena deal is f***ed up because of the mayor we had/mayor we have now. Any other thinking is ludicrous
This. She moved the goal posts.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
incels outing themselves