Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-04-2011, 11:32 AM   #1
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:
Default How do the ratings work?

I noticed today that for the first time the maker of our sim software has released details on how ratings in the sim actually work. This information is public so I feel its only fair to share it. It provides some pretty good insight into how this crazy program works and could impact how you build your team.

Enjoy the read:

Players Rating

Checking -
The higher the stat, more hit he'll give.
Fighting - The higher the stat, more fight he'll be part of.
Discipline - The higher the stat, less penalty he'll take.
Skating - The higher the stat, less chance to get successfully hit. Part of decision making formula*.
Strength - The higher the stat, less chance to get successfully hit. Limited effect on faceoff. (Affect by Coach)
Endurance - Affect all games stats. If a player's is send on ice when he's fatigue, this stat is used in the formula to decide if all stats for this shift will be lower than normal. Also uses in the post-game fatigue formula.
Durability - The higher the stat, less chance to get injure.
Puck Handling - The higher the stat, less chance to get successfully hit / less chance to lost control of puck / better chance in shot block or shot deflection. Part of decision making formula*.
Face Offs - The higher the stat, the more faceoff he'll win.
Passing - The higher the stat, better chance to have a successful pass. Part of decision making formula*.
Scoring - The higher the stat, better chance to score by normal shot or deflection. Part of decision making formula*.
Defense - The higher the stat, better he'll play in defense / he'll block more shot / he'll retrieved more free puck. Part of decision making formula*.
Penalty Shot - The higher the stat, the more chance to score in a penalty shot.
Experience - The higher the stat, the better his morale and his team morale will be. Limited effect on faceoff.
Leadership - The higher the stat, the better his morale and his team morale will be.
Morale - Affect all game stats at beginning of game. The higher the stat, the higher the players performance boost will be. (It's combined with the Team Morale)
Potential - Only used in the STHS Rerate Formula
Weight & Height - The heavier and bigger the players are, the more hit he'll give.

* When a player has the puck, he needs to make a decision of what to do with it. There are 3 results possible: skate, pass or shot. It doesn’t matter if the player skills are at 50 or 99 for this formula. The player’s skills are compared between each other’s for this formula.

The decision is based on 5 skills:
  • Skating (Primary) and Puck Handling (Limited affect) are uses to decide if the players skate.
  • Passing (Primary) and Defense (Limited affect) are uses to decide if the players pass.
  • Scoring (Primary) is uses to decide if the player shot.
So, a players with 99 in the 5 skills has the same % of chance to shot to the net that a player who has 50 in the 50 skills.

Goalies Ratings

Skating - The higher the stat, better chance to stop a shot. (Secondary)
Durability - The higher the stat, less chance to get injure.
Endurance - Uses in the post-game fatigue formula.
Size - The higher the stat, better chance to stop a shot. (Secondary)
Agility - The higher the stat, better chance to stop a shot. (Secondary)
Rebound Control - The higher the stat, less chance for a rebound
Style Control - The higher the stat, better chance to stop a shot. (Primary)
Hand Speed - The higher the stat, better chance to stop a shot. (Primary)
Reaction Time - The higher the stat, better chance to stop a shot. (Primary)
Puck Control - The higher the stat, better chance to intercept puck when puck is dumped.
Penalty Shot - The higher the stat, better chance to stop a penalty shot.
Experience - The higher the stat, the better his morale and his team morale will be.
Leadership - The higher the stat, the better his morale and his team morale will be.
Morale - Affect all game stats at beginning of game. The higher the stat, the higher the players performance boost will be. (It's combined with the Team Morale)
Potential - Only used in the STHS Rerate Formula
Weight & Height - No Impact. The rating Size is use instead.

Note - Age, country, contract length, salaries and star power has no impact in the simulation engine for players and goalies.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2011, 12:41 PM   #2
BagoPucks
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
So, a players with 99 in the 5 skills has the same % of chance to shot to the net that a player who has 50 in the 50 skills.

Sorry I have to ask,

What exactly does this mean?
BagoPucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 12:49 PM   #3
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BagoPucks View Post
Sorry I have to ask,

What exactly does this mean?
Basically, both 99 and 50 overall guys are equally likely to either skate, shoot or pass, but the likelyhood of those plays succeeding are greatly improved with the 99 guy than the 50 guy.

If they aren't balanced, say a guy has a 99 rating shooting but is only a 70 in the others, then the guy will shoot more often than either passing it or skating. He'll be more apt to succeed with his shots than either his passes or his ability to hold the puck.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2011, 01:51 PM   #4
Hanna Sniper
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is one of the times in life you say to yourself "wow, thats a lot of great information" but yet you can't help to realize you already know it
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hanna Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2011, 03:43 PM   #5
simmer2
Franchise Player

Exp:

One area I think that had a much larger effect on player's performance this year is their individual Morale. As well, if the team they join has a high morale it will also influence that as well.

Which is why someone like Jokinen is doing so well, he has an 85 MO and a Team Morale of 99 so that will artifically boost his numbers. I'm wondering how much more it increases them by.
simmer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 03:46 PM   #6
JiriHrdina

Exp:

I was doing some additional reading today and there is pretty widespared concern about the randomness of the current sim - a lot of leagues are seeing questionable results - where teams with a lot of talent don't do well. The creator of the sim is working on and testing a new version of the sim engine - with an aim to make the results more accurate. So...we'll keep an eye on that.
The Following User Says Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2011, 03:55 PM   #7
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
I was doing some additional reading today and there is pretty widespared concern about the randomness of the current sim - a lot of leagues are seeing questionable results - where teams with a lot of talent don't do well. The creator of the sim is working on and testing a new version of the sim engine - with an aim to make the results more accurate. So...we'll keep an eye on that.
I think there has to be a balance. There has to be some randomness but I think there was lil too much this year. The Pens should not have missed the playoffs with that roster. The Ducks should not have finished last in the west with that roster.

Overall whatever they do the game better I'm all for it.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 04:16 PM   #8
JiriHrdina

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
I think there has to be a balance. There has to be some randomness but I think there was lil too much this year. The Pens should not have missed the playoffs with that roster. The Ducks should not have finished last in the west with that roster.

Overall whatever they do the game better I'm all for it.
The general consensus out there appears to be that version 1 of the simulator (that we used last season) was more accurate than version 2 - which had a lot more added features.

So hopefully they are able to release an updated version 2 that is the best of both worlds.
Old 05-05-2011, 04:29 PM   #9
Hanna Sniper
Franchise Player

Exp:

I came to the conclusion that Morale was the downfall to my team this year. It was also easier to loose Morale then gain it, so once a team started to falter it was pretty much a quicksand effect

it's easy enough to see when you compare the top teams to the bottom. Also high Morale teams even had OV boost as well. Jeff Carter is a much better player since I had him at the beggining of the season. A rich get richer type of effect
Old 05-05-2011, 04:32 PM   #10
Hanna Sniper
Franchise Player

Exp:

What I mean by "rich get richer" I don't mean assetts but rather a team that is hot will have better players to defeat a cold team whim players are getting worse
Old 05-05-2011, 05:29 PM   #11
JiriHrdina

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanna Sniper View Post
What I mean by "rich get richer" I don't mean assetts but rather a team that is hot will have better players to defeat a cold team whim players are getting worse
I agree - my season got de-railed in mid January when I had a bunch of injuries to my D. I lost a few games in a row, my morale dropped and I never was able to get on a roll again. And once I lost two in a row down the stretch I couldn't snap the streak.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:35 PM   #12
BagoPucks
First Line Centre

Exp:

Having had two different seasons under my belt with two different teams and leagues, I do think that morale has a huge part of teams. injuries, icetime, production, team results, player movement all make a difference on the player and team morale. Once morale drops, the only way to recover is to stick it out and win games.

Maybe going into next season if STHS doesnt come out with a resolution for morale then maybe the mods and play around with the sliders of morale or something? and do a test run of a season and see how things play out?

Maybe I am jumping the gun with my suggestion but just an idea.

On a side note : I really enjoy the randomness of the new simulator. It does make the game more interesting as a lot of factors come into play and having the best team on paper shouldnt always result in the best team winning. I know it has been mentioned by other gms that the weighing of randomness and predicatbility is a tough decision to make but i really enjoy it the way it is right now.

Last edited by BagoPucks; 05-05-2011 at 05:37 PM.
BagoPucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 05:43 PM   #13
Knut

Exp:

While i enjoy that the randomness is helping my team push the Flyers to the brink in the playoffs I think more consistency is needed.

Everytime i sold off a few peices my team would go on a win streak... and if i tried to add anything i was pretty much guaranteed to lose. I should not go on win streaks if I dump off 70 OV + guys for prospects and picks.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 09:32 AM   #14
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

I noticed any time I made a trade and added a new player my team always lost. Then went into a mini slide....
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 09:54 AM   #15
therizzle
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Will we be upgrading to the new version of the sim in the offseason? Looks like there have been quite a few changes between 2.0.2 and 2.0.6.
therizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 10:23 AM   #16
JiriHrdina

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by therizzle View Post
Will we be upgrading to the new version of the sim in the offseason? Looks like there have been quite a few changes between 2.0.2 and 2.0.6.
Yup - we will use whatever the latest version is when the season starts. Though most of the changes made between 2.02 and 2.06 have been bug fixes and stuff impacting the financial side of the game (which we dont' use). Core game play including the sim engine hasn't been touched....changes to the sim engine are being tested under a version of the sim called 2.1.

I'm not sure if the plan is to roll out that new version before the fall or not - we'll wait and see.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:23 PM   #17
therizzle
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I was just asking because I saw a thread in the STHS forum where a guy demonstrated a bug that had a player who got a fighting major scoring a winning goal in OT 5 seconds after his penalty was over with no stoppage in play, which seems kind of... not good, and that was in version 2.0.2.
therizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 12:46 PM   #18
JiriHrdina

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by therizzle View Post
I was just asking because I saw a thread in the STHS forum where a guy demonstrated a bug that had a player who got a fighting major scoring a winning goal in OT 5 seconds after his penalty was over with no stoppage in play, which seems kind of... not good, and that was in version 2.0.2.
Yeah there are a number of bugs like this that they have been fixing over time related to situational game play. Utlimately though the instances where it comes up are very limited.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:20 PM   #19
mbeauchamp76
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I think the fact that there is so many variables such as the extra sliders and options allowed some teams to do better than expected (Which is the intangible coaching aspect of the game). One thing that so many teams had difficulty with was overusing players and having fatigued players (that seemed to be a critical factor. I tried to keep my team as balanced as possible so at worst only a player or 2 would drop 1 CON. You can have a team of superstars and still be beat, what you need is the right chemistry of offensive and defensive players and a must is a top 10 goalie, you can score as many goals as you want but if you can't keep the puck out you are done (it seems). GM's are complaining about morale issues, it would be nice to see if a good coach has any effect on keeping morale from going too low even during a slump.

Regardless I still think that this version of the SIM was way better than the last one. Last year it was crazy how many AHL players were getting injured so I am glad it was taken care of this year.

There is no guarantees, but look at the final 4 teams in the playoffs. 3 out of the top 4 teams are there. That is a pretty darn good simulation. There will never be a perfect simulation however if there is anything that can be improved upon that would be great. I just don't like to see drastic changes in how the SIM will work, because it is unfair to teams if you build your team a certain way.

Those are my 2 cents
mbeauchamp76 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mbeauchamp76 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2017, 04:25 PM   #20
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

I wasn't sure where to put this but this seemed as good a place as any, this got me thinking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDuke View Post
Random fact: 3 CPHL goalies this year have played every single game for their team, proving the role of a backup in this league, aside from an injury, might be useless. Why spend a bunch of money on a backup who may never need to play?
I looked it up and Fleury, Gibson and Holtby have all played every game, only Hotlby has higher EN and DU ratings than Dubnyk (my goalie). My backup has played 12 games this year because I didn't want to lose Dubnyk to fatigue but now I'm thinking this was foolish, at what CON rating does a player go down for fatigue? Maybe I'm better off playing a 98 CON Dubnyk over a 100 CON Mike Smith.
Hanni is offline   Reply With Quote