Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-08-2017, 08:53 AM   #21
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Tryamkin is a defenseman. Sutter and Horvat never played together.
You don't think receiving outlet passes from Gio/Hamilton/Brodie isn't a significant advantage to Tryamkin/Tanev/Hutton?
The Following User Says Thank You to Love For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2017, 08:55 AM   #22
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
You don't think receiving outlet passes from Gio/Hamilton/Brodie isn't a significant advantage to Tryamkin/Tanev/Hutton?
Could just as easily say Engelland and Wideman. You're just talking off the cuff here.
Old 09-08-2017, 08:58 AM   #23
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

He seems to be steadily improving and plays an important position. His production hasn't been stellar but don't really know who his linemate are.

The deal seems fair and could end up being good value for the Canucks.
Old 09-08-2017, 08:58 AM   #24
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's quite clear that you didn't even watch the Canucks games if you thought that he was playing with Sutter. And I doubt you knew Tryamkin was a defenseman, but it's weird you would go with a defenseman that was often scratched and played 15 minutes a night when he did as a point to make...it's pretty obvious you don't know much about Horvat and are talking out of your ass.
The Following User Says Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2017, 08:59 AM   #25
Gundo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Steal. I don't think Draisaitl or Monahan are better players than Horvat
Tell us more Mr. Linden
Old 09-08-2017, 09:03 AM   #26
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
I like Horvat, but hes not as productive as Monahan or Draisaitl. That said I'd rather have Horvat at his contract than Draisaitl at his...
You're right. He definitely is at the bottom of the three when comparing offensive output, but we also have to account for situational advantage and development curve. He is the only elite skater of the three and has never played with a Hudler/Gaudreau/McDavid/Hall or even Eberle. Projecting going forward I just don't see what either of them do that Horvat doesn't besides play with elite offensive facilitators.
The Following User Says Thank You to Love For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2017, 09:04 AM   #27
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
It's quite clear that you didn't even watch the Canucks games if you thought that he was playing with Sutter. And I doubt you knew Tryamkin was a defenseman, but it's weird you would go with a defenseman that was often scratched and played 15 minutes a night when he did as a point to make...it's pretty obvious you don't know much about Horvat and are talking out of your ass.
You're free to make whatever assumptions you'd like
Old 09-08-2017, 09:11 AM   #28
---Hatrick---
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I just don't see how you would put Horvat on Monahan or Draisaital's level right now. Just because he is a better skater doesn't make him the same level player. I mean, look at the wheels Lombardi had!
Monahan is a clutch scorer and he's done so being a first line centerman. While I agree that Draisaital is well over paid, I would not hesitate to say he's a better player than Horvat too.
His skating has also drastically improved from what I've seen.

It's a fair debate, but it's a very tough one for you to win in this case
Old 09-08-2017, 09:12 AM   #29
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
I like Horvat, but hes not as productive as Monahan or Draisaitl. That said I'd rather have Horvat at his contract than Draisaitl at his...
And I would rather have Monahan at his contract more than either of these!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gaudfather For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2017, 09:14 AM   #30
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ---Hatrick--- View Post
It's a fair debate, but it's a very tough one for you to win in this case
Agreed. It's more of a projection going forward type of thing. But then again, I am a big Horvat fan so.. I think they're all in the same tier, but just that I have Horvat slightly edging the other two. Monahan has an elite mind for the game and is a sniper with great hands around the net, but his skating is clearly the worst of the three. I'm really hoping he took his skating to the next level this summer because I think it's what really holding him back from being a bonafide #1C.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Love For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2017, 09:22 AM   #31
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fair deal, buys 2 UFA seasons

At this point his floor is basically a top end 2C who scores 55-60 points, if he makes no jump off that the contract is fair value

If he can make the leap, maybe with more power play time and better linemates to being a 70+ point 1C than its a great deal for the Canucks, but Bo will get paid again at 28 on another deal
Old 09-08-2017, 09:22 AM   #32
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You're right. He definitely is at the bottom of the three when comparing offensive output, but we also have to account for situational advantage and development curve. He is the only elite skater of the three and has never played with a Hudler/Gaudreau/McDavid/Hall or even Eberle. Projecting going forward I just don't see what either of them do that Horvat doesn't besides play with elite offensive facilitators.
You're only looking at one side of it.

Sure, Monahan and Draisitl have had some better line mates. But they also likely face much stiffer quality of competition. Also, what about opportunity? What about zone starts?

And what about simple things like the fact that the Nucks suck and good teams simply play them at a lower gear right now? I think it is very difficult, and usually very misleading, to try and compare players, just based on these stats or those stats, or line mates, or whatever. Results are what matters most.

Horvat is a very good player, but he simply isn't as productive as the other two. And for a top 6 C, that is a pretty important thing.
Old 09-08-2017, 09:24 AM   #33
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
Fair deal, buys 2 UFA seasons

At this point his floor is basically a top end 2C who scores 55-60 points, if he makes no jump off that the contract is fair value

If he can make the leap, maybe with more power play time and better linemates to being a 70+ point 1C than its a great deal for the Canucks, but Bo will get paid again at 28 on another deal
I agree with your post overall. But considering his career high is 52 points, it's a bit of a stretch to say that his floor is 55-60 points.
Old 09-08-2017, 09:29 AM   #34
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Agreed. It's more of a projection going forward type of thing. But then again, I am a big Horvat fan so.. I think they're all in the same tier, but just that I have Horvat slightly edging the other two. Monahan has an elite mind for the game and is a sniper with great hands around the net, but his skating is clearly the worst of the three. I'm really hoping he took his skating to the next level this summer because I think it's what really holding him back from being a bonafide #1C.

Monahan is already a bona fide #1 centre. He has been one of top producing centres in the WC the past three seasons.

And while his skating is not great, I think you are drastically overrating Horvat's. He is a good skater, but "elite"? I disagree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2017, 09:33 AM   #35
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
That seems about right. It is difficult to know what sort of player Horvat is.
Is it? I'm not sure it is. To me he looks like a foundational #2 centre with intangibles. He's one of their better young pieces so far.
Old 09-08-2017, 09:43 AM   #36
BigRed
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
You're right. He definitely is at the bottom of the three when comparing offensive output, but we also have to account for situational advantage and development curve. He is the only elite skater of the three and has never played with a Hudler/Gaudreau/McDavid/Hall or even Eberle.
This is a fair point. Horvat has wheels and certainly has some skill, but has never had players alongside him even approaching the quality of even a Hudler, frankly. I agree he's capable of more than he's shown, and the fact is we don't know if either Monahan or Draisatl are capable of driving the play without elite linemates (in Calgary I hope we never find out!)

Quote:
Projecting going forward I just don't see what either of them do that Horvat doesn't besides play with elite offensive facilitators.
That might be a bit much, but time will tell. Goes to show that only the truly elite overcome their circumstances and produce in spite of them. Look at Iginla. He was a one-man show for more than a decade.
Old 09-08-2017, 09:43 AM   #37
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudfather View Post
And I would rather have Monahan at his contract more than either of these!

I agree.

And just because I love this stat so much:

Sean Monahan was drafted in 2013.
Sean Monahan has 107 goals.
There were 843 players drafted to the NHL from 2010 to 2013, inclusive.
Of those 843 players, 5 have more goals than Sean Monahan. FIVE

2010: Seguin (189); Skinner (180); Hall (152); Tarasenko (145)
2011: Landeskog (118)

That is it.

None of the 632 drafted since (2014-2016 draft) have scored more than him.

So, of the last 1,475 players drafted in the NHL (again, not counting the 2017 draftees), 5 have outscored Sean Monahan. FIVE

Bo Horvat was also drafted in 2013. Sean Monahan has 58 goals more than him, or 123% more.

The kid is good.
Old 09-08-2017, 09:45 AM   #38
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Might as well pay him well because the Canucks have the worst group of prospects in the league.
Old 09-08-2017, 09:52 AM   #39
Hockey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
Might as well pay him well because the Canucks have the worst group of prospects in the league.
9. Vancouver Canucks
Previous rank: 13

I'm sure Vancouver fans may argue their slot should be a little higher after using back-to-back No. 5 overall picks, with those picks being Olli Juolevi and Elias Pettersson. Although both are good prospects, they don't move the needle at an elite level. However, Brock Boeser provides a lot of value, and looked outstanding in his brief NHL time this past season. Getting Jonathan Dahlen from Ottawa was also a boost to this system.
Old 09-08-2017, 09:56 AM   #40
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey View Post
9. Vancouver Canucks
Previous rank: 13

I'm sure Vancouver fans may argue their slot should be a little higher after using back-to-back No. 5 overall picks, with those picks being Olli Juolevi and Elias Pettersson. Although both are good prospects, they don't move the needle at an elite level. However, Brock Boeser provides a lot of value, and looked outstanding in his brief NHL time this past season. Getting Jonathan Dahlen from Ottawa was also a boost to this system.
Real world rankings for the next 5 years.
NHL:
17/18-28th Sedins retire at the end of the season.
18/19-31st
19/20-31st
20/21-31st Quebec gets a team at the of this season.
21/22-32nd

You better hope you get lotto lucky during this time.
Closed Thread