Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

View Poll Results: Best prospect from the following list?
Austin Carroll 1 0.50%
Zach Fischer 0 0%
Garnet Hathaway 73 36.14%
Josh Healey 4 1.98%
D'Artagnon Joly 1 0.50%
Pavel Karnaukhov 0 0%
Linus Lindstrom 7 3.47%
Ryan Lomberg 3 1.49%
Mitchell Mattson 0 0%
Mason McDonald 2 0.99%
Adam Ollas-Mattsson 27 13.37%
Brett Pollock 1 0.50%
Daniel Prybil 16 7.92%
Rushan Rafikov 1 0.50%
Adam Ruzicka 7 3.47%
Nick Schneider 0 0%
Hunter Smith 1 0.50%
Fililp Sveniingsson 0 0%
Eetu Tuulola 15 7.43%
Tyler Wotherspoon 43 21.29%
Voters: 202. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-25-2017, 08:45 AM   #1
Bingo
Owner

Exp:
Default Calgarypuck Prospect Ranking 2017 - Round 17

It's baaaaaaaaaaaaaack

Calgarypuck's 5th Annual Prospect Ranking Poll Series

Here are the last 5 years for a quick glance ...
Prospect Rankings
2013 - http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...ospect+Ranking
2014 - http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...highlight=poll
2015 - http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=148495
2016 - http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=156151

As per usual the vote is up to you. Some see it as most likely to play, some see it as highest ceiling, others see it as a mix of both.

Happy voting!

Who will join Sean Monahan, Johnny Gaudreau, Sam Bennett and Matthew Tkachuk as the top prospect. Previous four have gone straight to the show.

2017 Results

1 Jankowski 66% (http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=162793)
2 Parsons 59% (http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=162807)
3 Andersson 58% (http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=162831)
4 Valimaki 38% (http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=162852)
5 Kylington 44% (http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=162870)
6 Gillies 42% (http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=162879)
7 Fox 54% (http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=162900)
8 Foo 35% (http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=162909)
9 Dube 37% (http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=162926)
10 Mangiapane 43% (http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=162958)
11 Kulak 36% (http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=162975)
12 Rittich (Tie / Run Off Tie) http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=162994
12 Poirier (Tie / Run Off Tie) (Run Off Result
14 Phillips 39% (http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=163031)
15 Klimchuk 50% (http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=163052)
16 Shinkaruk 42% (http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=163067)
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 08:53 AM   #2
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

AOM. Big stay at home dman ready to play!
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2017, 09:05 AM   #3
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know people are going to go for the guys like Hathaway and Wotherspoon since they're close to being in the NHL, but may I make an alternate suggestion at this point?

Those kind of players are forever going to be borderline NHLers. If they were to make the NHL full time, they probably would have done it by now. Their skills or ability to play at the NHL level are suspect, and even if they make the team this year, it probably won't be for very long, maybe 1 or 2 years.

I'm going to go with some of the younger guys that still have potential. Some of these guys we don't know a lot about yet, but they have yet to determine their ceiling as pros and could turn out to be quite good. I am intrigued by both Lindstrom and Ruzicka for their skills.

Lindstrom put up great numbers in the lower Swedish leagues, and played mostly in the SHL (top swedish league) last year as a 18/19 year old. He's smallish, but very skilled from the reports I've read. He didn't put up a ton of points last year, but obviously he was adjusting to playing in the top league and probably didn't get a lot of ice time.

Ruzicka is already 6'4" and 210 pounds, and put up decent numbers in the OHL. He is on the world junior team coming up for Slovakia (almost certain), and was also on the U18 teams and put up great numbers there. He's also a 4th round pick, where this team has had major success over recent years, so he's got that going for him too.

I went with Ruzicka, purely because his size will translate well to the NHL, even if he's less skilled than Lindstrom.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2017, 09:13 AM   #4
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
I know people are going to go for the guys like Hathaway and Wotherspoon since they're close to being in the NHL, but may I make an alternate suggestion at this point?

Those kind of players are forever going to be borderline NHLers. If they were to make the NHL full time, they probably would have done it by now. Their skills or ability to play at the NHL level are suspect, and even if they make the team this year, it probably won't be for very long, maybe 1 or 2 years.

I'm going to go with some of the younger guys that still have potential. Some of these guys we don't know a lot about yet, but they have yet to determine their ceiling as pros and could turn out to be quite good. I am intrigued by both Lindstrom and Ruzicka for their skills.

Lindstrom put up great numbers in the lower Swedish leagues, and played mostly in the SHL (top swedish league) last year as a 18/19 year old. He's smallish, but very skilled from the reports I've read. He didn't put up a ton of points last year, but obviously he was adjusting to playing in the top league and probably didn't get a lot of ice time.

Ruzicka is already 6'4" and 210 pounds, and put up decent numbers in the OHL. He is on the world junior team coming up for Slovakia (almost certain), and was also on the U18 teams and put up great numbers there. He's also a 4th round pick, where this team has had major success over recent years, so he's got that going for him too.

I went with Ruzicka, purely because his size will translate well to the NHL, even if he's less skilled than Lindstrom.
I'm pretty much on the same page ... decided between Lindstrom and Wotherspoon and went Wotherspoon because from all reports he had a bounce back AHL season and is somewhat back on the radar.

I just see more value in a 6th dman over a 4th line energy forward.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2017, 09:19 AM   #5
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Prybil is the last guy on my list. After that, I would need to take some guesses bases on the kant of the sun, and whether a sparrow flies left to right, or right to left.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:19 AM   #6
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Voted E2 hoping for the next Ferland.
Macindoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 09:27 AM   #7
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Personally for me it's a multi-tiered judgement call.

1. Make the NHL.
2. Exceed in the NHL.
3. Live up to projected potential.

Some guys are built for top-line duty, some are built to play on the checking lines. If a checking line player becomes successful at his potential to become a checking forward, then his potential is fulfilled. Therefore, I vote on these polls based on expected level of skill an ability to make the NHL.

Seeing as how Hathaway has almost played his way onto the team, was effective in his role, and wasn't projected to be anything more, I would say he is considered a successful prospect- especially if he makes the team right out of the gate in October. The same principle should apply to Kulak, and he was rated higher.

Hathaway is the closed bet to a sure thing on that list.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 09:30 AM   #8
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I haven't voted yet myself. I like Ruzicka as well as Lindstrom, and still feel that there are some quality prospects with good ceilings still left on the list.

I am personally weighing-in on Hathaway. He will more than likely never be a stat sheet phenom, but what he does do he does very well - he agitates. Tkachuk is good at it, and it makes him that much more valuable to the Flames. Hathaway has games where he can totally aggravate an opposing player. He got Brent Burns to drop the gloves out of frustration. Bouma, Brouwer, Stajan, Ferland, Jones, F. Hamilton, or any other recent player that saw time on the 4th line has not had this trait. That carries some valuable (in addition being a capable player in his own right).

That is why I argue that Hathaway isn't exactly a replacement-level player. I just don't personally know exactly where to rank someone like him. Ordinarily I would rank someone like him low, but I ask myself as part of my own ordering in my head "What kind of an impact can this player have?"

In addition to Lindstrom and Rucizka, the Flames still have skilled prospects in Prybil (perhaps his lower scoring is directly attributable to his injury issues last season?), Sveniingsson, Karnaukhov, with Mitchell Mattson being a long-term project that could pay-off well.

Karnaukhov and Rafikov are interesting prospects for me in how I order them. I can see people just ignoring them completely with the thought that they will never come over (thus never have an 'impact' for the Flames), but I try to ignore that. Prospects can always be traded. I do think that there is a chance that both of them would have been selected already if it wasn't for that issue.

I have no idea whom to vote for right now. Wotherspoon isn't a bad selection either since he has regularly shown himself capable of good play in juniors, in the world juniors, and in the AHL. He had 'Top 4' written all over him, but just hasn't managed to quite put it together in the NHL (which might mean there is a chance he never will, but Wotherspoon is just so steady defensively in the AHL).
Calgary4LIfe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 11:11 AM   #9
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Between Hathaway and Wotherspoon, went with Wotherspoon.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 11:25 AM   #10
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I understand if some go with Cali on the potential upside selection, but I simply don't know enough about most of those guys to make that selection. Went with Wotherspoon, who I think still could surprise, but is a more of a known commodity.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 11:57 AM   #11
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
I understand if some go with Cali on the potential upside selection, but I simply don't know enough about most of those guys to make that selection. Went with Wotherspoon, who I think still could surprise, but is a more of a known commodity.
I appreciate that you at least considered my points first.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 12:22 PM   #12
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Man, where's the Josh Healey love?

25 pts in 35 gp as a senior defenseman. Plus a 25pt in 35gp junior year?

I mean if Falkovsky was still a prospect I'd have him here. Otherwise Hathaway makes a good case. But outside those two, it's got to be Healey.
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 12:23 PM   #13
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Wotherspoon is a better prospect than Healey, IMO. Went with him here.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 12:32 PM   #14
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
I appreciate that you at least considered my points first.
I think it speaks to the depth the Flames now have. After trading several draft picks for immediate help, they still have a bunch of guys with decent shots at the NHL level, now pushing down to #20. In past years, I would bow out at about #10, as I wouldn't have a clue about those guys. Now, we still have Wotherspoon, Hathaway and other intriguing prospects that could surprise. This is a good spot to be for a Flames fan.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.

Last edited by Fighting Banana Slug; 07-25-2017 at 12:35 PM.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 12:44 PM   #15
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree with Cali here too, guys like Hathaway and Wotherspoon look like fringe NHL'ers and are going to be bottom pairing or fourth line guys. Those kinds of guys are available all the time, there are lots of prospects who fill that spot but some of the guys still left on the list have potential to be a lot better. IMO Tuulola has the chance to be a really good player, he seems to have all the tools but just needs to put them together. Playing in a mens league will really help him (or at least I hope it does) and hopefully in the future this kid surprises and becomes a good player.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:49 PM   #16
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm voting AOM, as I think he can be a very solid #4 for us down the road. I picture him as another Hjalmarsson type eventually, and he's NHL sized already which really helps his playstyle... 6'4, 216lbs.

Over the last two years he's also played a significant amount of time in the SHL (highest Swedish professional league) too so he's been used to defending against professional men. Looked quite solid in his brief appearance with Stockton too, so the transition to NA ice didn't seem to be much of a shock.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:50 PM   #17
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hathaway for the third straight poll. I don't want to sound overly negative, but we're entering the part of the poll where it's pretty much all junk. Hathaway at least has a chance to play in the NHL. I don't see it for the rest of the guys.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2017, 12:50 PM   #18
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

It blows my mind that Hathaway is still on this list. He's criminally underrated here.
StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StrykerSteve For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2017, 02:00 PM   #19
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykerSteve View Post
It blows my mind that Hathaway is still on this list. He's criminally underrated here.
All depends on how much weight you give potential ceiling versus likely floor. I agree that Hathaway probably has the highest floor of all the remaining prospects, as he is likely to be an NHL 4th liner, while most of the rest likely won't make it to the NHL.
Macindoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 02:37 PM   #20
Mister Yamoto
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macindoc View Post
All depends on how much weight you give potential ceiling versus likely floor. I agree that Hathaway probably has the highest floor of all the remaining prospects, as he is likely to be an NHL 4th liner, while most of the rest likely won't make it to the NHL.
I get your point but Hathaway had a 19 goal season in the AHL. Poirier and Klimchuk also have career highs of 19 goals in the AHL. Why is his ceiling so much lower?

Hathaway is trending upwards, while most of the 2013,14 and 15 draft picks are trending downwards.

A fourth line NHLer is better than a future KHL all star.

Last edited by Mister Yamoto; 07-25-2017 at 02:40 PM.
Mister Yamoto is offline   Reply With Quote