Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-26-2017, 07:50 PM   #7661
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
Says the guy posting on an opposing team's message board.
Of which my entire time here has been spent respecting this board, the rules, and the city of Calgary. I get that it's a bit ironic me posting that and that I spend so much time here.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:52 PM   #7662
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_fan View Post
Of which my entire time here has been spent respecting this board, the rules, and the city of Calgary. I get that it's a bit ironic me posting that and that I spend so much time here.
Yeah, the bolded part was my point.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:54 PM   #7663
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well one thing that does suck, is Oilers related forums. So I'll give you guys that.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:01 PM   #7664
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
I believe the OP was joking and not being serious.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:27 PM   #7665
Yrebmi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I can't believe so many of you have this much time on your hands. The whole Calgary v. Edmonton city rivalry is so weird to me. I don't see why people from various cities feel so threatened by other cities that they have to expend so much energy hating on the other city. I'm not only talking about hating on Edmonton, but also the other way around. Whatever floats your boat I guess.

I understand hating the other city's hockey team, but the hating the city itself has never made any sense to me.
Come on man, the entire thread is intended to be overstated and bordering hyperbole. You would have to admit that from the entire City of Champions sign era, there was lots of material to draw from.
Personally I prefer keeping it more to the sports clubs, but the thread is Edmonton is no good, not just Oilers.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Yrebmi For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2017, 08:39 PM   #7666
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I can't believe so many of you have this much time on your hands. The whole Calgary v. Edmonton city rivalry is so weird to me. I don't see why people from various cities feel so threatened by other cities that they have to expend so much energy hating on the other city. I'm not only talking about hating on Edmonton, but also the other way around. Whatever floats your boat I guess.

I understand hating the other city's hockey team, but the hating the city itself has never made any sense to me.
West Palm Beach and Fort Lauderdale are no good.

It's just a thing that people do, no matter where you go. I'm sure if you went to Sao Paulo in Brazil they'd tell you that Rio De Janeiro is no good, and vice versa. Don't ask me why that example popped in my head when there are likely a billion better examples, but the point still stands. People love to poop on nearby places they could be living in, but chose to live where they do decidedly so. It's pretty much internal justification at work.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:41 PM   #7667
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

What's even more weird than me being here, is a Carolina Panthers fan being here.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:41 PM   #7668
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

And an Oilers fan logging on to a forum primarily for the Calgary Flames doesn't make much sense to us either.

Honestly, what are you guys expecting to read when you get on this forum? Whatever floats your boat I guess.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:45 PM   #7669
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What's even more weird than me being here, is a Carolina Panthers fan being here.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:53 PM   #7670
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Don't ask me why that example popped in my head when there are likely a billion better examples
Like Springfield and Shelbyville. Or even Dog River and Woollerton.
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2017, 09:30 PM   #7671
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Or Pawnee v. Eagleton, though in that example I feel we're Eagleton, and I don't like it
The Following User Says Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2017, 09:39 PM   #7672
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Cali Panthers Fan = California Panthers(Florida) Fan

I might be mistaken but I believe he used to be Cali Flames Fan but asked the mods to change it to Cali Panthers Fan.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:40 PM   #7673
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah but...it doesn't make sense when there's not even an NHL team in Florida other than the Lightning.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:47 PM   #7674
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Lol,this whole discussion made me think of the national athem in Borat:

“Edmonton, greatest city in the world! All other cities are run by little girls. Edmonton number one exporter of potassium! Other cities have inferior potassium. Edmonton, home of the tinshein swimming pool it's length thirty metre and width six metre. Filtration system a marvel to behold it removes 80 percent of human solid waste. Edmonton, Edmonton, you very nice place…”

Look, my parents immigrated from Winnpeg over 40 years ago, so, unlike me, they aren't originally from Calgary. To this day they still call it "deadmonton", the "a-hole of Alberta" ect. And they are absolutely right, but that's beside my point. 30 years ago was the golden age of Alberta hockey, two great teams with a crazy intense rivalry. I remember my granny and parents taking jabs at each other relentlessly at family dinners, non-stop, about how terrible everything about the other city was (she was was from Edmonton, an oilers fan, and thusly my second favorite grandma). So it's something that just happens, this rivialry, and it's not like it's petty.... It divides families. Lol.

Today my wife is in Edmonton for a concert. She texted me and said "I've arrived safe in Edmonton" and I texted her back and said "Sorry to hear that. But chin up, it's only for one night. Just hold your breath". It's just a part of the Alberta experience for alot of us. I'm excited for the Battle of Alberta to finally be back.

E=NG

Last edited by FlamesFanTrev; 07-26-2017 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Spelling, grammar and punctuation. It was bad in spots, almost as if I went to School in Edmonton.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlamesFanTrev For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2017, 10:43 PM   #7675
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Being honest isn't hate.
Old 07-26-2017, 11:43 PM   #7676
Five-hole
Franchise Player

Exp:

nm
Old 07-27-2017, 12:37 AM   #7677
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just took my Kiwi gf to Canada for the first time. On the way home we had a layover in Vancouver and hit Yuk Yuks. The host of the show dumped on Edmonton for a few bits...COMPLETELY validating everything I'd ever said about that city to her and any Aussie/Kiwi down here willing to hear it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rutuu For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2017, 12:38 AM   #7678
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

listening to the team 1260 a week ago...

Jason strudwick was on Jason Gregor's show and they were discussing salary buyouts. Strudwick repeatedly said that he wished that he had signed one "stupid " contract that got bought out. Gregor with that whiny voice of his argued over and over that strudwick didn't mean that. Strudwick repeatedly said that he did mean that and totally wanted a bad contract.

And while I'm at it, why was chiapet onstage with the team Canada Olympic team management, like Kevin Lowe before him? I hadn't realized that lottery balls were such a big part of international hockey. Ninja edit: it's not chiapet!

And on the world class tag, it means nothing unless you put the word "truly" before it when you talk about it.

As in "Katz's casting couch is truly world class".

We had joy, we had fun, we had a season in the sun, but the wine and the fun like the season is all gone.

Average team is average. Average drafts, average results, average trades, average asset management, average vision, average outcomes. Average.

Last edited by McG; 07-27-2017 at 02:31 AM. Reason: Mistaken identity due to beer
Old 07-27-2017, 02:24 AM   #7679
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by McG View Post
And while I'm at it, why was chiapet onstage with the team Canada Olympic team management, like Kevin Lowe before him?
The guy on the right?

That's Craig Woodcroft. The poor guy just happens to look like Chia.
Old 07-27-2017, 02:29 AM   #7680
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thank you. Will make ninja edit.

We had joy, we had fun, we had a season in the sun, but the wine and the fun like the season is all gone.

Average team is average. Average drafts, average results, average trades, average asset management, average vision, average outcomes. Average.
The Following User Says Thank You to McG For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread