Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-17-2017, 09:24 AM   #801
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

I think NIMBYism was on display with the West Village, although a bad public proposal didn't help the Flames and the City's cause. Then again, NIMBYism is usually a Calgary tradition when it comes to change and new things, so I wouldn't have expected anything less.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 10:29 AM   #802
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
I think NIMBYism was on display with the West Village, although a bad public proposal didn't help the Flames and the City's cause. Then again, NIMBYism is usually a Calgary tradition when it comes to change and new things, so I wouldn't have expected anything less.
NIMBYism?

West Village is no ones backyard.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 10:51 AM   #803
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

CalgaryNEXT failed because of inadequate planning, awful financial implications, a mickey-mouse presentation, and a frontman who comes across as incompetent and tone-deaf.

NIMBYism is alive and well in Calgary, but not in this case.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2017, 10:55 AM   #804
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

A few people in Sunalta complained that it would increase traffic through their neighbourhood, but that's the only NIMBYism around CalgaryNext I ever heard, and it wasn't a big part of the complaints about it.
Old 08-17-2017, 10:55 AM   #805
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
NIMBYism?

West Village is no ones backyard.
Except for the people that live in Sunalta, Bankview, Altadore, Scarboro, Killarney, Shaganappi, Kensington, Hillhurst, and downtown. That location is, very much, a 'backyard' to those communities.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 11:05 AM   #806
East Coast Flame
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Yeah, I don't get that. I live in Sunalta and pretty much everyone was thrilled about the arena going there.
East Coast Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 11:07 AM   #807
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
A few people in Sunalta complained that it would increase traffic through their neighbourhood, but that's the only NIMBYism around CalgaryNext I ever heard, and it wasn't a big part of the complaints about it.
NIMBYism is there, as I have a few friends who live in Sunalta, Bankview and even the Shaganappi Trail area who are concerned about more density/new venues in addition to what's already there. Although to be fair, the scale is far less than other projects.

That being said, just wait until the creosote cleanup is planned and funded; I think that's going to be very bothersome to a lot of Calgarians, especially since it has crept to the other side of the river, basically where Memorial Drive is.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 11:26 AM   #808
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Except for the people that live in Sunalta, Bankview, Altadore, Scarboro, Killarney, Shaganappi, Kensington, Hillhurst, and downtown. That location is, very much, a 'backyard' to those communities.
This is the first time I'm hearing about any issues coming from those neighborhoods.

Also, I thought it was good for those neighborhoods? creosote cleanup, businesses, YAY!
Old 08-17-2017, 11:54 AM   #809
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This is the first time I'm hearing about any issues coming from those neighborhoods.

Also, I thought it was good for those neighborhoods? creosote cleanup, businesses, YAY!
I didn't say there was issues, I said that location could be considered those communities' "backyard".
Old 08-17-2017, 01:20 PM   #810
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
If I didn't know any better I'd say you were talking about the West Village concept and that exact purpose, an idea promptly destroyed by everyone involved.
Yes and no. The big difference being that the Foothills Athletic project would be primarily focused on amateur athletics and development and the facility would be more accessible compared with CalgaryNext. Foothills can be developed with a community focus whereas CalgaryNext would be developed with a corporate focus that attempted to use public funds for private gains.

Basically, McMahon Stadium and Foothills Athletic park need to be developed into something similar to Commonwealth in Edmonton.

Last edited by calgarygeologist; 08-17-2017 at 01:28 PM.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 02:43 PM   #811
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I didn't say there was issues, I said that location could be considered those communities' "backyard".
...and NIMBYism would mean those people were opposed to having it in their backyard.
Old 08-17-2017, 03:25 PM   #812
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
...and NIMBYism would mean those people were opposed to having it in their backyard.
I'm not calling them NIMBYers. I just said that the West Village is their 'backyard'. Big distinction.
Old 08-17-2017, 05:27 PM   #813
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not calling them NIMBYers. I just said that the West Village is their 'backyard'. Big distinction.
OZY_Flame was, which i responded to.

The response was tongue in cheek given that it's a brown site. Not to mention, some of those communities mentioned are hardly in the "backyard" of West Village...

But it's irrelevant and off topic.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:34 PM   #814
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I'm surprised that anyone woudn't want a brand new stadium/public fieldhouse facility and revitalized river front right in their back yard vs the GM dealership and the Greyhound station.

Im personally really in favour of the idea of West Village and the concept of CalgaryNext itself. The presentation, lack of planning, and expectation that the city and tax payers roll over for it, and the subsequent murmurs of moving the team is what sour me on it. I would still rather the stadium go there personally.
Old 09-12-2017, 07:31 AM   #815
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Salt Lake City and Denver are considering bids for 2026. Their efforts are expected to intensify after LA is officially awarded the 2028 Summer games on Wednesday.

https://apnews.com/6be24a966ad9459ab...dium=AP_Sports
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 08:23 AM   #816
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Salt Lake City and Denver are considering bids for 2026. Their efforts are expected to intensify after LA is officially awarded the 2028 Summer games on Wednesday.

https://apnews.com/6be24a966ad9459ab...dium=AP_Sports
I doubt the US would get awarded 2 in a row, particularly if they're both in the west.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:31 AM   #817
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting to see where that goes. Denver having been the only city ever to have won a bid then backed out.

The Innsbruck referendum is also key - if it has support, I wonder if the IOC are inclined to just go there, then NA for 2030.
Old 10-15-2017, 11:57 AM   #818
vennegoor of hesselink
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Another city out for 2026 bid as Innsbruck residents vote no in a referendum for an Olympic bid

https://www.insidethegames.biz/artic...g-down-to-wire

vennegoor of hesselink is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vennegoor of hesselink For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2017, 12:19 PM   #819
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not NIMBYism, IMO. More like the opposite. Planning and execution, aside, the city really wants to do everything in East Village and Vic Park. CalgaryNext would have been a huge competition for development bucks.

Last edited by GioforPM; 10-15-2017 at 04:05 PM.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 04:39 PM   #820
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seems like with Innsbruck out, and IOC desire to do '26 in a more winter based country, Calgary's pretty much got it if they want it.
Joborule is online now   Reply With Quote