Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2017, 07:38 AM   #41
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post

Jankowski has never dominated any level like Bennett did in his draft year and then that abbreviated spin after shoulder surgery.

Jankowski I see more of that safe two way guy that ideally centers the third line.

Both have high floors though.
Jankowski was absolutely dominant in the AHL last year, and there was reason to believe even his senior year NCAA numbers were lower than they should have been due to how the coach distributed ice time evenly and the fact that his top scoring linemate turned out to be an ECHL washout. He also had a longer development path due to physical shortcomings that are now physical strengths.

If you subscribe to it there's also the fact that Jankowski was estimated to have the top Quality of Competition in the AHL last year yet posted top 3 estimated points/minute (GuentzL was #1 so really it's top two) while leading an entire professional hockey league in WAR as a rookie. There's reason to believe that if Huska didn't roll four lines pretty evenly, Jankowski might have been the AHP MVP as a rookie last year. Tyler Johnson did something along those lines before hitting the NHL and being a 50-70 point two way center (and PPG playoff performer on a contender) - and one might argue Jankowski's tools translate better to the bigger, faster NHL.

Bennett did dominate lower levels but also saw less team success at lower levels - he was a great player on a team that needed him to be a great player. I would argue Jankowski was (eventually, bu the second half of his D+3) a great player on a team that needed and only asked him to be a solid player. I don't believe they win the NCAA Tournament, dominate the standings the next year only to lose when Jankowski was seriously ill, make the AHL playoffs and do some serious damage (an OT gaffe by Kostka away from advancing past #1 seed) the next year, if Jankowski was not highly dominant. It just isn't obvious in the basic counting stats.

Quote:
Jankowski I see more of that safe two way guy that ideally centers the third line.
He could play that role, as Backlund and Bennett could play that role, and as Jordan Staal and Nick Bonino did play that role on teams already strong down the middle. But he is so much more than that. His hands, vision, skating, size, shot, and hockey sense are above the level of even a third line center in my opinion. It's like Ferland and Backlund though, where his raw top 6 production might not be there in a bottom 6 role but will flourish with a Gaudreau or a Frolik rather than a Chiasson or a Bouma.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 09-07-2017 at 07:43 AM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2017, 10:23 AM   #42
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

sure hope you guys are right!

what a problem to have with four centers that could or should all be top six.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 10:37 AM   #43
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
He's a goalie, they're bat#### crazy to project. Looks amazing so far and if I had to pick I'd say he's the goalie of the future but I need to see what he does this season first.
Call me crazy but to me Parsons is a can't miss goalie prospect ala Carey Price, MAF, John Gibson. It isn't a matter of if he will make the NHL but when and how good will he become.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 11:07 AM   #44
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Call me crazy but to me Parsons is a can't miss goalie prospect ala Carey Price, MAF, John Gibson. It isn't a matter of if he will make the NHL but when and how good will he become.
Well even if I give you that, which I wouldn't ... if he's the next Curtis McElhinney you still can't call him blue chip.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 11:28 AM   #45
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have followed Jankowski closely from day 1, and have been a fan and supporter throughout. But I am having a hard time seeing him as a top 6 player in the NHL. I think a 35-40 point, two way guy is a reasonable expectation for him.

Not saying it can't happen or anything, but I don't think it's 'blue chip likely', personally.

I do however, think Parsons is as blue chip as a goalie prospect can be.

As for Fox and Valimaki, if they continue on from an impressive summer, with great seasons and then shine at the WJs, then I'll be ready to label them blue chippers as well. But I think we need a bit more data, and some continued progression first.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post: