Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-23-2017, 04:26 PM   #121
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
The Flames seem to have a knack most seasons to stumble out of the gate, questions arise, then they have to dig themselves out of a hole. Sadly, I'm kind of expecting the start this season to be the same.

But what I am expecting is once the team settles into their groove, is that we actually see one of the ''best defensive units in the NHL'' live up to their potential. I want to see 3 great pairings control the pace of the game. Be able to to shut down other team's top players and lock down a lead. Be able to QB the PP and make other teams regret taking penalties.
Well, you'll see two great pairings but a Stone - Kulak/Wotherspoon/Bartkowski is highly unlikely to be great. But that's fine as they won't need to be on the ice too often together.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 04:42 PM   #122
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Well, you'll see two great pairings but a Stone - Kulak/Wotherspoon/Bartkowski is highly unlikely to be great. But that's fine as they won't need to be on the ice too often together.
Perhaps the other two sure, but I believe Kulak is the only defenceman that played a significant amount of time with Engelland that had positive possession numbers. Not even Brodie had them as high, but they were facing much harder quality of competition. It's pretty reasonable to expect Kulak - Stone to excel in a lesser role.
Old 07-24-2017, 02:29 AM   #123
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

About 2 Stanley cups.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 03:26 AM   #124
UKflames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Sweep the Oilers and go from there, everything else is gravy.
UKflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 08:23 AM   #125
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
The Flames seem to have a knack most seasons to stumble out of the gate, questions arise, then they have to dig themselves out of a hole. Sadly, I'm kind of expecting the start this season to be the same.

But what I am expecting is once the team settles into their groove, is that we actually see one of the ''best defensive units in the NHL'' live up to their potential. I want to see 3 great pairings control the pace of the game. Be able to to shut down other team's top players and lock down a lead. Be able to QB the PP and make other teams regret taking penalties.
I definitely agree that traditionally the Flames are slow starters and so take some time to find their groove I just hope this year is different. I expect a different mentality this year, just making it is not enough. This team will come back largely the same as last year and in my mind camp should be dedicated to getting everyone up to speed. I don't see any surprise roster spots so no real need to play a lot of the known AHL bound players. Get the lineup set and get to work. Flames need to expect to win not hope to win. I think that is the difference between good and great teams. Chicago has a confidence that they will beat anyone not just thinking they have a chance.

I am not saying we are Stanley Cup bound this year but this season has to be the start of a 3 or 4 year window where I think the Flames can really establish themselves as a top tier team. A good start and a consistent season are key to that in my mind.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 08:59 AM   #126
locsofblu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Top 4 in the conference and win a playoff round or 2.
locsofblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 10:56 AM   #127
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
The Flames seem to have a knack most seasons to stumble out of the gate, questions arise, then they have to dig themselves out of a hole. Sadly, I'm kind of expecting the start this season to be the same...
In 2014 the Flames started six of their first seven games on the road, and came away with a respectable 4-3 record in that span.

In 2015 the Flames started five of seven at home, and only had two wins to show for it—both earned in OT and the S/O.

In 2016 the Flames started four of their first six at home, and registered only one OT win.

This year the Flames have only two home dates in the first two weeks of the season with four games on the road. I think a big part of the problem for this team in the past several years is that they struggle with those first few games at the Dome for whatever reason, and it affects the rest of their play in the opening few weeks. The Flames are probably better poised to get a good start this year than they have been the past two seasons because they will not have a lot of games in Calgary at the outset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 11:07 AM   #128
Five-hole
Franchise Player

Exp:

I want us to compete for the division and win at least one round in the playoffs.

I want top 15 PP and PK.

I want top 15 goaltending.

I want top 15 offense and top 10 defence.

I want at least two kids from the farm to have a full-time spot by the end of the year.
Five-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 11:09 AM   #129
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

They'll win their home opener.

Winnipeg. How do they not beat Winnipeg?
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 11:22 AM   #130
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Winning a freakin' round in the playoffs.
ForeverFlameFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 11:25 AM   #131
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

entertaining hockey. It'd be nice for them to do well but I just want to have fun watching hockey. I'm worried about this season because expectations are so high, the last time the Flames had low expectations, they ended up doing well and going to the playoffs.

I just want to see the guys play well and show emotion and effort.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:30 AM   #132
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Beat the Oilers in game one by the accumulative goal differential from the 16-17 series.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 11:34 AM   #133
Spinach
Scoring Winger

Exp:

If 2013-2014 was the start of the five-year rebuild, then the Flames are right on schedule or a little ahead thanks to the 2014-2015 team.

In 2014, they were supposed to be bad. They were.
In 2015, they were supposed to be bad. They weren't. It was the most exciting edition since '04.
In 2016, they were probably supposed to be respectable. Instead, they were awful.
In 2017, they were probably supposed to compete for a playoff spot. They did, and exceeded my own expectations by making it (not sure what management expected).

This is year five of the rebuild, I guess. Yet, with the successes in '15 and '17, not to mention all the additions and not having a draft pick till round 4, it's pretty clear management thinks the team can and should take the next step.

Independent of a comparative analysis of all the Western teams, I expect the 2017-18 Flames to make the playoffs.
Spinach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 11:54 AM   #134
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Time to start truly competing.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 12:10 PM   #135
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by united View Post
If Smith doesn't regress due to age, the Flames replace Stone with a competent #4 defenceman, and Vegas takes Brouwer allowing the Flames to use the cap space/roster spot on upgrades (or a legit replacement): Conference Finalists at minimum.

If Smith regresses due to age, Stone is the #4 defenceman, and Brouwer continues getting top six minutes: Fighting for 8th spot and first round causality if they make it in.

And everything else in between. Way too early to say.
Smith: Father Time is undefeated - will it come for Smith this year? The year after? Two years down the road? Nobody knows, but he's at the age where it hits most goaltenders hard. This is still the biggest factor in how the Flames' season will go. And even if he has a poor year, maybe he goes on a heater in the playoffs when it really counts.

Stone: Getting Stone off the second pairing is massive. Giving Gulutzan two pairings that can hold their own instead of just one (poor Brodie, carrying the Wideman/Engelland/Stone dumbbells around) is huge for the teams' tactical deployment and usage. Giordano+Hamilton did amazing given their assignments, but they couldn't play 45 minutes a night. Stone + partner should be able to handle the easiest of assignments now.

Brouwer: So long as the Flames deploy him in a third line role at most, things will be fine. He can't handle 5-on-5 play against other teams' top sixes so he has to be given easy circumstances. Be honest, Flames.

With all that clear, and assuming Jagr doesn't happen, I think the Flames win the division with average goaltending. Anything better just moves them up the standings further. In the playoffs, conference finalists should be the goal. But, both those things depend on Smith not cratering. Adding a legit top-six winger, in Jagr, furthers expectations a bit higher still.

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."
united is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 12:27 PM   #136
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

As the offseason wears on my expectations are rising. Maybe itnisnthe chirp wars inget intonwith Oiler fans, the heavy praise Treliving has received from the media regarding his moves, or just excitement for a new season but I am really confident about the Flames chances next year. I expect a top 3 finish in the Pacific and a first round victory as the minimum.
Vinny01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 12:40 PM   #137
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

I expect home ice in the 1st round of playoffs, and I expect to win that series.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Fonz For This Useful Post: