Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2023, 06:48 AM   #1241
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would love to get any insight from some of our heavy metal drivers on here on this video. AC 77W landing in YYZ in some crosswind, and has a bit of "fun" right near touchdown.

Last edited by Bigtime; 11-15-2023 at 09:07 AM.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2023, 03:51 PM   #1242
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Would love to get any insight from some of our heavy metal drivers on here on this video. AC 77W landing in YYZ in some crosswind, and has a bit of "fun" right near touchdown.
Apparently it was inspected for the hard landing, no damage found, and on its way to Japan the next day. Amazing how strong those things are.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 04:22 PM   #1243
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
Apparently it was inspected for the hard landing, no damage found, and on its way to Japan the next day. Amazing how strong those things are.
Surely they had to replace a few brown seats first, though. Oh, wait, nevermind, it's an airline.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2023, 01:01 AM   #1244
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wonder how much stronger the wind would have to have been to flip that jet on landing. Looks like it was pretty close to a disaster.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 04:29 PM   #1245
Cube Inmate
First Line Centre

Exp:

Oh, that's a cool one. They had to be crabbing nose-right on the way in. Perhaps started the de-crab a touch early, then hit the right rudder again a bit hard to fight the crosswind for another second and lost lift on the right wing?

Or just a nasty gust. It's just fun to speculate.
Cube Inmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 04:57 PM   #1246
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

That approach to 24L/24R with a West-NW wind results in odd gust conditions from the terminal buildings to the right. Notorious for that.
Old 11-17-2023, 08:59 AM   #1247
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Had an interesting experience last week which I don't recall experience before, or in a very long time, where we had to do a go-around on our landing approach. We were pretty close to the ground and probably less than 45 seconds from touchdown but there was a slow moving aircraft on the runway and we had to abort.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2023, 03:50 PM   #1248
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great crosswind action video from runway 29 here in Calgary on November 11th.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2023, 04:19 PM   #1249
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just curious as to how they number runways. Is it based on compass degrees?
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2023, 04:40 PM   #1250
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Just curious as to how they number runways. Is it based on compass degrees?
Correct. With magnetic north moving a few years ago the YYC runways had to be renumbered. 34/16 became 35/17 (and the new parallel 35R/17L), 28/10 became 29/11, and 25/07 became 26/08.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2023, 01:37 PM   #1251
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Too soon to LOL?

https://twitter.com/user/status/1729819136228835658
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2023, 02:36 PM   #1252
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

We could use Bigtime's concise answer, or you could watch a 17 minute video!

Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 02:37 PM   #1253
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

CGP Grey videos rule, that 17 minutes will feel like 30 seconds.
Old 11-29-2023, 04:34 PM   #1254
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Too soon to LOL?
Def not, this is pretty bad lol.

Airline: Don't worry, we'll send our last plane to get you guys.
Pax: Nah, I think we'll walk.
Old 12-07-2023, 04:46 PM   #1255
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know a few users here will appreciate this. Recently losing my dream job as well as some of the things said in the mental health thread here on CP has led to me doing a lot of reflecting and research lately about what to do next. Combine that with a lot of late-night chats with my wife, and with some urging from her I decided it's finally time to pursue my other dream of flying.

So I start ground school next week and will be flying in March. Can't wait to get started
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 04:51 PM   #1256
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
I know a few users here will appreciate this. Recently losing my dream job as well as some of the things said in the mental health thread here on CP has led to me doing a lot of reflecting and research lately about what to do next. Combine that with a lot of late-night chats with my wife, and with some urging from her I decided it's finally time to pursue my other dream of flying.

So I start ground school next week and will be flying in March. Can't wait to get started
Congratulations! Good news is that as you know, it’s a great time due to the pilot shortage. Still a little scary I’m sure.

If I can be of any assistance feel free to PM me.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryan Coke For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2023, 05:01 PM   #1257
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Coke View Post
Congratulations! Good news is that as you know, it’s a great time due to the pilot shortage. Still a little scary I’m sure.

If I can be of any assistance feel free to PM me.
Thanks! The big hurdle I thought I would encounter was the cat 1 medical. Lung health is what forced me out of the fire department and I've always assumed that's exactly what would keep me from this as well. But I've been doing a lot of reading about self-doubt and eliminating yourself from dreams before you even try them so decided screw it, give it a shot and 'make them tell you no', as they say. Medical was yesterday and the doctor said it's a non-issue. Best news I've gotten in years, I've felt like a child at Christmas all day
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2023, 05:48 PM   #1258
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks! The big hurdle I thought I would encounter was the cat 1 medical. Lung health is what forced me out of the fire department and I've always assumed that's exactly what would keep me from this as well. But I've been doing a lot of reading about self-doubt and eliminating yourself from dreams before you even try them so decided screw it, give it a shot and 'make them tell you no', as they say. Medical was yesterday and the doctor said it's a non-issue. Best news I've gotten in years, I've felt like a child at Christmas all day
Congrats man. I fully planned on getting my pilot's license after undergrad. Then my second year of undergrad some planes hit a couple of buildings in a neighboring country, and the industry flipped upside down.

Every now and again I check the various airlines websites for careers in admin. Nothing will ever come of it but I still look for my younger self.

I'd love to know where your reading about self doubt. Please DM me some resources. Imposter syndrome sucks.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2023, 08:24 PM   #1259
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
You are living out my biggest dream, one that I sidelined because of doubt for too long. Now becoming a commercial pilot is damn near impossible due to my age and other reasons. Regret is real, good on you for just doing it.
Old 12-07-2023, 09:57 PM   #1260
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
Congrats man. I fully planned on getting my pilot's license after undergrad. Then my second year of undergrad some planes hit a couple of buildings in a neighboring country, and the industry flipped upside down.

Every now and again I check the various airlines websites for careers in admin. Nothing will ever come of it but I still look for my younger self.

I'd love to know where your reading about self doubt. Please DM me some resources. Imposter syndrome sucks.
Nothing directly I can point to sadly, just general stuff on the internet. Went down a few google rabbit holes after reading the mental health thread here on CP. And I have to shout out the CW Lemoine youtube channel, former fighter pilot, the guy can be a bit of a dbag but one overall theme every podcast is they do a mental health segment. One major thing he's talked about for years is not self-eliminating. "Make them tell you no" is a slogan he's always used that's starting to catch on. Even though I've heard him say it for a long time it really only clicked lately that I shouldn't be the one telling me I can't do something, make the powers that be force me out. So that's the plan

It's not a channel I'd recommend if you're not into the rest of the content, but the mental health segments are hugely helpful