Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2010, 02:37 PM   #41
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
There is a difference between LED array backlighting or side-LED backlighting. It's a completely different design, not a poor implementation. Side lit LEDs cannot perform local dimming leaving the entire image washed out in darker scenes.

Backlighting is one of the most important things in a TV. Black levels depend on backlighting which is one of the most important features for many people looking for a flat panel TV and it's the one feature that has the most variations between the competing technologies.

Turn out the lights so that it's pitch black and tune your CCFL or side-lit LED TV to a channel or part of a movie that shows pure black and what do you see? It's likely a shimmering greyish screen instead of a darker black and you might even see light hotspots along the bottom or the corners where the CCFL light is located or leaking.
All true, but I never said anything at all to the contrary, and you're missing the point. My point was just that not all LED backlit TVs are "better" than all CCFL backlit TVs just because of the backlighting. Just like not all 1080p TVs were "better" than all 720p TVs a couple years ago.

Of course, like I said, LED backlighting is superior technology. But you put that behind a crappy panel and you're still left with a crappy TV. Better to spend your money on a good CCFL set than a below-average LED set.

If all other things were equal: go for the LED backlighting. But all other things are never equal, so just buy the best set in your price range.

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 06:49 PM   #42
Deviaant
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I do currently have Shaw and depending on what goes down with snet 1 I may stay with them or leave for Optic tv. I do intend to get HD TV from one of the two.

So let me get this right if I continue with my DVD player it would more or less be like having a pinto engine in a Lambo's body. Understandable I guess I never did consider it stretching the image.

I guess its a good excuse to get a ps3 though and I have been thinking about it.

As for that damn windows 7 commercial showing that wireless streaming thing damn you microsoft for getting me all excited about some other technology I know nothing about. Maybe I can wait till this one becomes more common place.

In a million years id have never guessed there was so much to know about buying a good tv. Im glad you guys are here to dole out the good advice I appreciate it. Its saved me some cash but also cost me some. Cant wait to watch the Flames on my new TV whatever one I snag.
Deviaant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 07:01 PM   #43
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

FWIW, I have a beautiful big TV, HD satellite receiver, and an old DVD player and it isn't an issue for me. I don't watch a lot of movies, and often I'll just end up buying an HD PPV movie.

So if you aren't much of a DVD movie watcher, I wouldn't (and don't) worry about it.

Having said that, I wouldn't mind a PS3 for the blu-ray, media streaming, and of course a little gaming, but I am at a deadlock with my wife who wants a Wii if we are going to get a gaming system.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 07:16 PM   #44
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentsim View Post
Personally I still feel 3D a huge gimmick for a home television. I would never get one.
It's still pretty infant tech for home users but in 5 years it will be as common as HD is now and in 10 it will be the standard. That is unless it really does cause headaches and dizziness.

I'm going plasma myself, like sports and have still not seen an lcd or lcd/led that I am happy with when it comes to motion. I find the 120/240/600 hz ones even worse as the picture flats around on screen to do away with blur.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 07:49 PM   #45
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komskies View Post
I'm also shopping around for a new TV right now. This is the one I've been leaning towards:

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/...d1486dc061en02
I ended up finding this TV at Costco for $1299 and bought one tonight. Plus it came with the wireless adapter (worth $200). Plus I got 2 extra years warranty for using AmEx. Overall it's a steal of a deal.
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 08:02 PM   #46
Deviaant
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Wow thats a nice looking TV......whats the remote like

Thats quite the savings. The wireless adapter you got there, thats whats needed to stream (I have no idea if thats the right word, but im using it anyhow) to your TV from your computer?

Looks like im gonna have to hit up Costco this weekend.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:44 PM   #47
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviaant View Post
As for that damn windows 7 commercial showing that wireless streaming thing damn you microsoft for getting me all excited about some other technology I know nothing about. Maybe I can wait till this one becomes more common place.
You can do this for $100-$150 bucks with a WD HD TV , an ASUS Oplay, or one of many Media PC. These are what Memory express has to offer.
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Product...ault.aspx?cc=1

You can also use a PS3 or XBOX 360.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:31 AM   #48
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

If I'm not mistaken though, you guys are talking about streaming media that's on your computer over LAN using devices that their own interfaces. The Windows 7 commercial shows Intel WiDi which is a bit different: the TV duplicates your laptop monitor wirelessly.

As far as I can tell, it depends ony our computer, not your TV, and only three laptops have it. And all it really does is replaces an HDMI cable.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2010, 12:47 AM   #49
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
If I'm not mistaken though, you guys are talking about streaming media that's on your computer over LAN using devices that their own interfaces. The Windows 7 commercial shows Intel WiDi which is a bit different: the TV duplicates your laptop monitor wirelessly.

As far as I can tell, it depends ony our computer, not your TV, and only three laptops have it. And all it really does is replaces an HDMI cable.
Well the ASUS OPlay! Air streams over wifi and does a decent job of it and you can plug it into any PC and any TV and works pretty well. At least with something like that, you aren't chained to it because you can always move it around or sell it as well, it isn't integral to your setup.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 06:35 AM   #50
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post

How is this any functionally different/better from the multitude of media players out there?

Right now my O!Play (a box I hook to my TV) takes media directly from my ( cheap 5 year old) PC which is on my network and plays it on my TV. It allows me to use my remote control to stop and start the movie, etc. Total investment , $300 plus TV

Intel Wireless Display takes a box I hook to my TV, with my brand new "special laptop" and duplicates the display on the TV, without needing to actually play the video. Total investment $900, plus TV (although you do get a new laptop, which needs to be there when you want to play media)

I guess if you just wanted to surf the net on a bigger screen, but then you are still tied to using your laptop keyboard/mouse (or adding additional wireless ones). Would gaming be possible or are the graphics going to be good enough?

Last edited by Rathji; 08-24-2010 at 06:42 AM.
Rathji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 04:44 PM   #51
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
How is this any functionally different/better from the multitude of media players out there?
Well... you can show people whatever you're looking at, fast. Be it an actual media file, online streaming, photo, website, webcomic, youtube, CI online etc. It's a little different.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 05:22 PM   #52
Prototype

Exp:

As far as DVD goes... if you're going to do DVD... get an up converting DVD player.

And for what it's worth, most places, when it comes to extended warranty or 'service plan', if you don't use it, you get nothing back (much like car insurance). Visions on the other hand will give it back to you, to use as up to 50% towards a new purchase when it's done.

So if you spend the ~$250 on the 'service plan', in the 2-3 years when it's done, you can go out and buy something for $500 and get it for $250 as long as you line everything up at the end of the time frame. I don't know what that is at this point, but that was a big selling point to my wife and I when we bought our 47' LG 1080p LCD.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:38 PM   #53
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prototype View Post
As far as DVD goes... if you're going to do DVD... get an up converting DVD player.

And for what it's worth, most places, when it comes to extended warranty or 'service plan', if you don't use it, you get nothing back (much like car insurance). Visions on the other hand will give it back to you, to use as up to 50% towards a new purchase when it's done.

So if you spend the ~$250 on the 'service plan', in the 2-3 years when it's done, you can go out and buy something for $500 and get it for $250 as long as you line everything up at the end of the time frame. I don't know what that is at this point, but that was a big selling point to my wife and I when we bought our 47' LG 1080p LCD.
I would never even purchase a service plan or product protection plan to be honest. You get extended warranty for free just buying with a decent credit card.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:51 PM   #54
Deviaant
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I was actually just checking out Visions today and they had the very same LG plasma I was at best Buy checking out for $300 cheaper. Im sure I can pit them against eachother a little bit and maybe get another $100 or so off. I dont generally go for the extended warranty as my Amex gives me warranty anyhow so I doubt ill get the in store one.

I think ive decided that I will go the blue ray route and pick up a ps3. I am a bit of a video game fan.

As for the ASUS OPlay I think I may decide to go this route at a later time as I hate cords and clutter laying around. I dont play many computer games however it would be nice to play the odd game of Command and Conquer. Id have to assume the HDMI cable would be the optimal route to go however would the OPlay be good enough?
Old 08-24-2010, 07:18 PM   #55
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
I was actually just checking out Visions today and they had the very same LG plasma I was at best Buy checking out for $300 cheaper. Im sure I can pit them against eachother a little bit and maybe get another $100 or so off. I dont generally go for the extended warranty as my Amex gives me warranty anyhow so I doubt ill get the in store one.

I think ive decided that I will go the blue ray route and pick up a ps3. I am a bit of a video game fan.

As for the ASUS OPlay I think I may decide to go this route at a later time as I hate cords and clutter laying around. I dont play many computer games however it would be nice to play the odd game of Command and Conquer. Id have to assume the HDMI cable would be the optimal route to go however would the OPlay be good enough?
The OPlay is not for playing games, it's for streaming media like high definition movies and music from your computer to your TV...as some people forgo BluRay and disc media and just download 1080p movies from the internet to their harddrives.

If you are going to just go ahead and hook up your PC to your TV via HDMI cable, you don't really need that at all.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2010, 07:25 PM   #56
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

If you have PS3, you don't need an O!Play because you can stream media to the ps3.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:32 PM   #57
Deviaant
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
If you have PS3, you don't need an O!Play because you can stream media to the ps3.

Ok now that is cool....god its getting harder and harder to like my 360. Especially since I just got the RROD for the 2nd time.

I have a feeling this is going to be an expensive trip to the electronics store....
Old 08-24-2010, 07:58 PM   #58
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ok now that is cool....god its getting harder and harder to like my 360. Especially since I just got the RROD for the 2nd time.

I have a feeling this is going to be an expensive trip to the electronics store....
You can also use a Xbox 360 to stream media.

I have never done it personally but Googling turns up many hits, including http://www.maximumpc.com/article/streaming
Old 08-24-2010, 08:40 PM   #59
Deviaant
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

So have I admitted to the crowd yet that im technology impared.

However you are correct about the 360 being able to stream media. I do recall reading about that somewhere.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:03 AM   #60
TopChed
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm a ps3 guy myself, and streaming has always worked really well for me.

However, if you're getting Telus Optik, apparently they offer a service that allows you to use an xbox 360 as your PVR device. I think you get an xbox upon signing up for the deal, but you also have to pay for it monthly for 3 years.

I just signed up for optik, but I won't be using the xbox.
TopChed is offline   Reply With Quote