Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2010, 10:50 AM   #1
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default More camera advice needed!

So I just bought a used Nikon D60 with only the body. I'm looking for lenses for my camera and I understand that only the AF-S lenses will autofocus. What lenses would you recommend I get? I'm interested in taking landscape, architecture, and night pictures. I'm going to Mexico soon so those types of pictures.

I'm looking at getting the 18-55mm lens, anyone have one for cheap? I should also mention I am on a tremendous budget strain. Like talking as cheap as possible...

Would you suggest a prime lens - Nikkor AF 50 mm f1.8D for only $140. I know this won't autofocus and I'll have to do it manual... would it be worth it?

http://www.thecamerastore.com/produc...-af-50-mm-f18d

And perhaps get a 18-55mm lens? I'm looking at getting the 55-200mm but I'm not sure if I will need a telescopic lens. Is VR necessary? It adds almost $100 to the lens.

Last edited by wooohooo; 08-16-2010 at 12:12 PM.
wooohooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:18 AM   #2
ah123
First Line Centre

Exp:

I am assuming you mean Nikon D60 (the Canon 60D is coming out soon too, but that is a higher end body

kijiji is probably your best bet on buying a used 18-55 - I have seen people selling them really cheap. Suggest you read-up on what to look for when buying a used lens (fungus on lens etc).

Over the last little while, I have started shooting exclusively with prime lenses and really enjoy it...if you're just starting out with DSLRs (sorry don't remember your experience level), you might want to hold off till you understand what you like shooting; shooting wildlife or landscapes can be frustrating with a 50mm, but both the 35mm and 50mm are great for close up people shots....

Just my $0.02
ah123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ah123 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2010, 11:30 AM   #3
Discoste
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Personally, I use 18-55mm for majority of my shots. Rest of the time I use a 35mm and 55-200mm VR

The 18-200mm lens w/ VR would be awesome but costs $700ish. It's cheaper to get the lenses seperately (one 18-55 and another 55-200) but I find switching lenses a hassle.

VR (IS for Canon) helps if you are shooting with longer shutter speeds w/o a tripod.
Discoste is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Discoste For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2010, 12:13 PM   #4
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Thanks I did mean the Nikon D60. I'm extremely amateur with photography
Old 08-16-2010, 02:02 PM   #5
ah123
First Line Centre

Exp:

One more thought - you might want to consider a used 18-70 or, if your budget stretches that far, a used 16-85VR. The 18-70 was the kit lens for the D80 and a pretty good lens to start with. It still sits in my bag and I use it on occasion... The 16-85VR is considered a very good lens from what I have read (haven't used it).
ah123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ah123 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2010, 02:31 PM   #6
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stay away from plastic mounts on the cheaper kit lens.

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Regulator75 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2010, 03:01 PM   #7
Cowperson
CP Pontiff

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah123 View Post
One more thought - you might want to consider a used 18-70 or, if your budget stretches that far, a used 16-85VR. The 18-70 was the kit lens for the D80 and a pretty good lens to start with. It still sits in my bag and I use it on occasion... The 16-85VR is considered a very good lens from what I have read (haven't used it).
I have the Nikon D-80 with the 18-70 mm and a 70-300 mm.

None of it's top of the line for Nikon but for an amateur starting out you'd probably have fun as it's a pretty simple two-lense set to cover a broad range and not particularly expensive in a relative sense.

Eventually you'll discover what aspects of photography you find interesting and start building your kit to service that interest.

Pick up a copy of this month's Outdoor Photography magazine and there is a nice Nikon kit - put together by a professional - laid out visually for you with notes as to why he has each of the items.

Cowperson
Old 08-16-2010, 06:24 PM   #8
Momo
Draft Pick

I picked up a D40 a few years back. The 18-55mm was pretty much my go-to lens for everyday use. If you're a beginner, the VR is very nice. I found it much more important with the zoom lens (55-200mm). I pretty much always have VR on though as I don't have the steadiest hands.

If you're thinking about getting the 18-200mm lens, just keep in mind what kind of photos you're taking. If you're going out with friends, that is a pretty massive lens to be hauling around.

Also, I recently picked up a Sigma 10-20mm wide angle for a trip and it was amazing for landscapes. It handled decently well at night as well. It could also do portraits in a pinch, but there will be a bit of distortion.
Momo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Momo For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2010, 11:36 PM   #9
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I hear the 18-55mm is a really ideal lens if you're not hardcore. I think I'm going to go down to Thecamerastore and pick one up. I bought the 50mm f1.8 ($150) but the lack of autofocus I think will really hinder the awesomeness of the lens.

I'm pretty sure I'll keep the 18-55mm, but for my second lens would it be better to get a telescopic lens or a wide angle/prime lens? I'm more interested in landscapes, night time building/scenery and sunsets.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:51 AM   #10
Momo
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooohooo View Post
I'm pretty sure I'll keep the 18-55mm, but for my second lens would it be better to get a telescopic lens or a wide angle/prime lens? I'm more interested in landscapes, night time building/scenery and sunsets.
For those types of photos, I would say a wide angle. In my experience, nothing beats a wide angle for landscapes. The bit of distortion makes the photos look so much more breathtaking. I'll see if I can post some examples of what you can do with a wide angle vs a 55-200mm lens. I took both with me on my recent trip.
Momo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Momo For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2010, 10:40 AM   #11
Discoste
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Memory Express usually has better prices than the camera store - given that you've done your research and know exactly which lens you want (and if the store locations work for you)
Discoste is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Discoste For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2010, 01:09 PM   #12
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Yeah I bought the 55-200mm lens there, but the more I read up on it, I think I should get the VR version... but it's a good 100 dollars more. So I might return that and get a wide angle lens in its place. I can't really think of much use for a telescopic lens besides a wedding in september.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:13 PM   #13
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Would you suggest a prime lens - Nikkor AF 50 mm f1.8D for only $140. I know this won't autofocus and I'll have to do it manual... would it be worth it?
The 50 1.8 is an autofocus lens. I also believe that lens is perfect for learning about depth of field. Makes a great portrait lens and is ideal for shooting candid shots indoors using available light.

If I ruled the world, one of these lenses would be a requirement for owning an SLR.

Edit: I stand corrected. Silly me for thinking that a Nikon AF lens would autofocus on a newer Nikon body... Seems to be just they way it is with the 60D. That's a bit of a head scratcher for me. Upon further reading it has to do with Nikon switching from a body-driven AF system to one that resides within the lens.

Last edited by Jimmy Stang; 08-17-2010 at 01:18 PM.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2010, 01:20 PM   #14
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
The 50 1.8 is an autofocus lens. I also believe that lens is perfect for learning about depth of field. Makes a great portrait lens and is ideal for shooting candid shots indoors using available light.

If I ruled the world, one of these lenses would be a requirement for owning an SLR.

Edit: I stand corrected. Silly me for thinking that a Nikon AF lens would autofocus on a newer Nikon body... Seems to be just they way it is with the 60D. That's a bit of a head scratcher for me. Upon further reading it has to do with Nikon switching from a body-driven AF system to one that resides within the lens.
I bought it just because it's so cheap and for the still shots, it's really awesome. I love how the background is somewhat blurry but the object is in focus. Only wish it would auto focus with my camera... perhaps I will spend the extra 100 bucks for the AF-S. Seems like an awesome lens though.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:25 PM   #15
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I bought it just because it's so cheap and for the still shots, it's really awesome. I love how the background is somewhat blurry but the object is in focus. Only wish it would auto focus with my camera... perhaps I will spend the extra 100 bucks for the AF-S. Seems like an awesome lens though.
I've got the Canon equivalent. Built like a POS (plastic mount) but optically beautiful. My brother-in-law has the 1.4 version and that lens is a thing of beauty, but it cost nearly $500 a few years ago.

Edit: And actually, the Canon 1.8 is very difficult to manually focus. The Nikon one actually has a proper focusing ring, which will make a world of difference for you. The Canon one is useless for that.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:55 PM   #16
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

What kind of software editing do you use? I have lightroom but I have not a clue on how to use it and what everything really means.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:49 PM   #17
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you get any Nikon body lower than a D90, skip the 50mm f/1.8 and get the 35mm f/1.8 - it's a much more natural focal length and will auto focus on the D60.

Here's a slideshow with shots taken with my Nikkor 35mm f/1.8

http://www.flickr.com/search/show/?q...99%40N08&s=int

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 08:18 PM   #18
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What kind of software editing do you use? I have lightroom but I have not a clue on how to use it and what everything really means.
Lightroom is a great piece of software. I use it primarily as a RAW processor, and I am trying to get myself into the habit of keywording better. Speaking of shooting RAW, I would highly recommend trying it out. You basically get a full, uncompressed file that gives you a lot more latitude with exposure and other adjustments.

For starters, I'd shoot some RAW and just import it into Lightroom and then go to the "Develop" tab and start messing around.

I'm not big into a lot of "photoshopping", so lightroom does everything that I need it to. It lets me clone out the odd blemish or imperfection, adjust my levels, and bam - done.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:47 PM   #19
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I hear the 18-55mm is a really ideal lens if you're not hardcore. I think I'm going to go down to Thecamerastore and pick one up. I bought the 50mm f1.8 ($150) but the lack of autofocus I think will really hinder the awesomeness of the lens.

You might want to consider the 18-105.

I upgraded my kit to that from the 18-55 and find that extra bit of zoom makes the lens a fair bit more flexible. It was also a bit higher quality lens. I also have found that the 55-200 was not that flexible as I could not shoot closer subjects and would have to switch the lens.
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 11:18 PM   #20
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

As good a thread as any...heading out to the coast and thinking of renting a lens (Vistek, Camera Store on 11th have rentals) to get some good landscape/ocean shots. Would love to have a good zoom lens too, but landscapes are more important.

Have a Canon Rebel XTi with the stock 18-55 on there now.

What sort of lens range should we be looking at? Something like a 10-20?
browna is offline   Reply With Quote