Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2009, 09:54 PM   #1
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:
Question Five Guys Burgers and Fries

Does anyone know anything about this place?

They had a float in the parade yesterday, and have sponsored one of the wagons in the Chuckwagon races. I had not heard of them prior to yesterday, but it sounds like a place I'd like to check out.

From what I have found on the internets, it's a Washington DC area based chain with locations around the US, and their first international location is supposed to open in Calgary this month.

One review I found says it is comparable to In-N-Out Burger, which I love.

It's also the chain that Barack Obama went to on his "burger run" with Brian Williams during the NBC "Inside the White House" special a couple of months ago.

Here's their website, which has no mention of the Calgary location: http://www.fiveguys.com

Anyone know where the Calgary location will be/is? Has anyone eaten there (either here or in the States)?
Old 07-04-2009, 09:57 PM   #2
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

I haven't actually eaten there before, but I have friends who say it's pretty good. I've been planning to try it one of these days, I'll write a review if I get there in the next few days.
valo403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 09:57 PM   #3
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by valo403 View Post
I haven't actually eaten there before, but I have friends who say it's pretty good. I've been planning to try it one of these days, I'll write a review if I get there in the next few days.
Where is it?
Old 07-04-2009, 10:00 PM   #4
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Where is it?
I'm not actually in Calgary, I'd be hitting one in the NYC area. No idea about the Calgary location.
valo403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 10:05 PM   #5
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.usatoday.com/money/companies/management/entre/2009-06-07-fast-food-hamburger-franchise_N.htm
Each store, which costs franchisees about $350,000 to $500,000 to build, generates about $1 million a year in sales. Each franchisee must have a net worth of $1 million and agree to open at least five stores, requirements that have been ratcheted up in recent years because of high demand.
Wow, must have a min of $1 million net worth and agree to open 5 stores to be a franchisee. Wonder who's opening it and wonder where the others will be. According to the same website, the Calgary location is opening this month... surprised I can't find the addy though. Got to love it though when American news outlets say Calgary in one of the articles and don't bother including "Alberta, Canada" or "150 miles north of Montana".

Last edited by BlackArcher101; 07-04-2009 at 10:07 PM.
BlackArcher101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 10:45 PM   #6
Montag
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I tried one in Philly a few months ago. It was good. Tasted fresh, especially the fries. Lots of options for toppings too.
Montag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 10:47 PM   #7
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackArcher101 View Post
Wow, must have a min of $1 million net worth and agree to open 5 stores to be a franchisee. Wonder who's opening it and wonder where the others will be. According to the same website, the Calgary location is opening this month... surprised I can't find the addy though. Got to love it though when American news outlets say Calgary in one of the articles and don't bother including "Alberta, Canada" or "150 miles north of Montana".
Especially since you know those same publications would say "Edmonton, Alberta (150 miles north of Calgary)"

Might have to give this place a try.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 10:47 PM   #8
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Is it similar to Harvey's?
Old 07-04-2009, 10:49 PM   #9
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montag View Post
Tasted fresh, especially the fries.
Yeah, one of their selling points is that they don't have freezers in any of their restaurants, so everything is fresh.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:51 PM   #10
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Saw them when I was in NY a few weeks back. Didn't try it, but my uncle who lives there said they are quite good.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 10:51 PM   #11
SteveToms
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackArcher101 View Post
Is it similar to Harvey's?
Harvey's suck. And I used to like it.
SteveToms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 10:55 PM   #12
SteveToms
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

As for the location, I suspect Cross Iron Mills Mall.
SteveToms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 11:06 PM   #13
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

Ooo can't wait! I love me some new burgers. I have to go to Banff now for a good burger
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 11:56 PM   #14
dionfan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Yeah, one of their selling points is that they don't have freezers in any of their restaurants, so everything is fresh.
I think this can be somewhat exaggerated. Wendy's makes this claim as well. I know a guy who used to work there, and he said they don't freeze stuff, they just keep it very, very cold so the temperature in their fridge does not actually get below 0 degrees, but it stays around something like 2-5 degrees.
Old 07-05-2009, 12:40 AM   #15
doozwimp
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Was there about a week ago when i was in Montana. Very pleasant dinning experience indeed.
doozwimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 01:19 AM   #16
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveToms View Post
Harvey's suck. And I used to like it.
Harveys is awesome. Out of every fast food burger joint franchise in Calgary, Harveys is the best.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 01:50 AM   #17
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dionfan View Post
I think this can be somewhat exaggerated. Wendy's makes this claim as well. I know a guy who used to work there, and he said they don't freeze stuff, they just keep it very, very cold so the temperature in their fridge does not actually get below 0 degrees, but it stays around something like 2-5 degrees.
"Normal" freezer temp is -17 degrees Celsius, so that's true. The meat is very cold at 2-5 degrees, but the moisture doesn't crystalize.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 09:30 AM   #18
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dionfan View Post

The jerks at wendy's, how dare they refrigerate their meat! I demand it so fresh it does not need to be chilled.
Ducay is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2009, 09:39 AM   #19
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Another forum I visit was recently debating about good fast food places, and Five Guys was the recipient of the following comments:

"Hell yeah. Five Guys is great. I just feel like I'm gonna die after I eat there."

"Five Guys has awesome burgers. A little more expensive than normal fast food, but yeah, I was impressed when I ate there."

"I find myself at Five Guys all the time. They give you so many ******* fries. You can get a small or large cup of fries, but it's best to just get the small cup because they just stuff the entire goddamn bag full anyway."

"Five Guys started out in the DC metro area, and they're expanding pretty rapidly. Always go for the small fries since they are about 2 orders of large fries from the major burger joints. Plus, they are thick fries, not the crappy shoestring ******** fries that McDonald's serve and I usually go for the Cajun seasonings too.

For their burgers, I also go for just the small cheeseburger and load up on toppings (there's a selection of about 20 to choose from) and/or I'll get a grilled cheese and add grilled onions/mushrooms, tomato, and BBQ sauce. Best part of the grilled cheese is that it's made with a burger bun that has been turned inside out."

So there's some info from people of questionable character who have frequented a Five Guys.
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 09:49 AM   #20
gargamel
First Line Centre

Exp:

The burgers are a little overpriced, but everything there is delicious. The first time I ever ate there was at the airport in DC, and I'd heard such good things that I had to try it even though it was 7 am. The burger with a fried egg and hot sauce on it was one of the best and worst breakfasts I've ever had. Thankfully, I've never seen any other Five Guys open before lunch time, because I'm not sure that I could stop myself from trying that again.
gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mmmmm...burgers.