Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2012, 02:53 PM   #41
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

since New Girl moved away from being completely about Zooey and more to an ensemble with more focus on Schmidt (which was around about episode 10) it has been a great show

it's a lot like Happy Endings (which also took awhile to get going)
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:56 PM   #42
TopChed
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

While the concept of Revolution seems kind of interesting, I'm not sure I can ever get into it. How do rifles work, but an internal combustion engine suddenly doesn't?
TopChed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:58 PM   #43
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopChed View Post
While the concept of Revolution seems kind of interesting, I'm not sure I can ever get into it. How do rifles work, but an internal combustion engine suddenly doesn't?
An internal combustion engine is almost certainly controlled by electronics, whereas a rifle is not.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:58 PM   #44
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Echoing the sentiments of a few others in here, it's too bad to see The River go. My brother and I quite enjoyed watching it on Shaw on Demand.
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:03 PM   #45
TopChed
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
An internal combustion engine is almost certainly controlled by electronics, whereas a rifle is not.
So they based the show around the fact that our entire human civilization can't build an engine that doesn't use electronics?

Don't mean to get too off topic, but I just don't know that I'll get into a storyline that starts off like that.
TopChed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:13 PM   #46
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane_phaneuf View Post
since New Girl moved away from being completely about Zooey and more to an ensemble with more focus on Schmidt (which was around about episode 10) it has been a great show

IIRC, Friends was supposed to be a Courtney Cox vehicle, but became a show about the ensemble.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:20 PM   #47
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So they based the show around the fact that our entire human civilization can't build an engine that doesn't use electronics?

Don't mean to get too off topic, but I just don't know that I'll get into a storyline that starts off like that.
I am sure they could build one, but there is so much more involved in a vehicle running than just having an engine that runs. Things like fuel refining, maintenance on both the vehicle and roads they would use. You do see they get some electronics working, but they would be hacked together stuff, more of a one off situation.

There are some thing that look ridiculous about that trailer for sure, like the plane that suddenly ignores momentum and falls straight down out of the sky, and everyone seems a bit too well groomed for living 15 years without electricity.

Like hemi-cuda, I am a huge sucker for end of the world stuff, so this is going onto my must watch listing.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:27 PM   #48
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The key to turning on all the power is the Dad's love contained in the USB locket that powers IRC chats. Eye cry evrytiem.
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:33 PM   #49
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane_phaneuf View Post

I laughed pretty hard at the reference to Damon Wayans Jr going to Happy Endings in the video Nick made for himself.

"Treat Coach right or he'll leave you and go hang out with a bunch of other white people."
Old 05-14-2012, 03:54 PM   #50
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

30 Rock is not cancelled then?
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:09 PM   #51
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:

Yeah, that's a bit of a red flag for me too. I like the concept so I'll give it a healthy shot but if they can't come up with a plausible reason for that then that speaks to some awfully poor writing.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:50 PM   #52
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

I'm looking forward to Revolution, but I find it hard to believe in the plot of a show that revolves around a society that can't figure out how to turn the power back on.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:30 PM   #53
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
I'm looking forward to Revolution, but I find it hard to believe in the plot of a show that revolves around a society that can't figure out how to turn the power back on.
It could be some kind of atmospheric change that permanently disrupts the flow of electricity. In which case, there'd be no way to turn the power back on.

That being said, I still don't get why the engines are stopping too. The show seems to be suggesting that not just electronics but engines are stopping too.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:25 PM   #54
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
It could be some kind of atmospheric change that permanently disrupts the flow of electricity. In which case, there'd be no way to turn the power back on.

That being said, I still don't get why the engines are stopping too. The show seems to be suggesting that not just electronics but engines are stopping too.
well aside from that, once the engine is stopped how do you get it started again? unless everyone has a car with a manual transmission and a steep hill to bomb start it, you'd have to re-engineer the entire engine just to get it to turn over
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:08 PM   #55
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
well aside from that, once the engine is stopped how do you get it started again? unless everyone has a car with a manual transmission and a steep hill to bomb start it, you'd have to re-engineer the entire engine just to get it to turn over
Good point. All modern cars use batteries and hence need electricity... Guess you could pretty easily make a bike powered by a lawnmower engine.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:59 AM   #56
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

ABC announced its fall schedule on Tuesday: http://cdn.media.abc.go.com/m/pdf/sh...2012_print.pdf

Previews of the new shows: http://beta.abc.go.com/shows/new-sho...pfronts_201213

None of the new shows really grab me. Most of the dramas seem pretty soapy, except for Last Resort, which I'm not sure about yet.

I like this summary of Last Resort from tv.com: "it's the only show on ABC geared toward humans with a penis."

By putting Last Man Standing and Malibu Country on Friday nights, it looks like ABC is trying to bring back the TGIF Friday night comedy block, but it appears that they're targeting the parents of the kids who used to watch Full House and Family Matters. Their kids are now grown up and out of the house, and the parents are old and boring and have nothing better to do on a Friday night than watch crappy sitcoms.

Sadly, Malibu Country will probably crush Community in the ratings.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:05 PM   #57
Hockey
Franchise Player

Exp:

New girl was the only new show I ended up watching this year. I did enjoy it, my favorite character was Nick. I thought he was hilarious.

I did watch the 1st few episodes of Alcatraz and wanted to like it. I ended up missing a few episodes then I heard it was getting cancelled so I never bothered to try and watch the rest of it.
Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:35 PM   #58
Eastern Girl
Crushed

Exp:

I liked New Girl more after they toned down the New Girl

They need to rename it The Nick and Schmidt Show, cause they are the heart of it. I'm glad it was renewed. I'm disappointed Harry's Law was cancelled. It was fairly unrealistic in a lot of ways, but I like Kathy Bates and thought the show was well done.

Alcatraz was a disappointment. I really wanted to like it and was looking forward to it, but it just failed to deliver. I didn't care about any of the characters. They didn't reveal enough of the overarching plot to keep me interested.

I watched the first couple episodes of The River when it originally aired and I wasn't too into it, but then I watched most of the series again while staying at a friends house and I quite enjoyed it.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:31 PM   #59
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Over the last two days, CBS and The CW have announced their fall schedules.

CBS: http://www.cbs.com/shows/new_season_central/

Not a lot of changes for the most-watched network. The biggest surprise is probably moving Two and a Half Men to Thursdays after Big Bang Theory, and moving Two Broke Girls into Two and a Half Men's slot on Mondays.

Rules of Engagement is not on the fall schedule, but has apparently not yet been cancelled. Negotiations between the network and studio are still underway.

CW: http://cwtv.com/shows/

Not much on this channel for male viewers, or anyone over the age of 25. They have their niche, and cater to it.

Now, all the networks line-ups are set:

Last edited by getbak; 05-17-2012 at 12:35 PM.
getbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:09 AM   #60
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm sort of incredulous that Smash got a second season... I watched the first four episodes or so, and my wife has stuck through it for the entire season and reports back on how awful it is. I think a lot of people, like my wife, stuck with it to see how bad it would get. (We both laughed hard last night when Fey's character on 30-Rock last night said "I don't bail. I'm still watching Smash!") Even TV critics are apologizing for recommending it early in the season. I think its ratings are going to plummet hard next season.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote