Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-12-2012, 07:22 AM   #1
RedMileDJ
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default J.J. Abrams' 'Alcatraz' axed

http://jam.canoe.ca/Television/2012/...enn-story.html

What a piss-off! I was really getting into this show. I have officially given up on TV. I'm so tired of shows I enjoy getting canceled. I'll just stick to my on-demand and NetFlix stuff.
RedMileDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RedMileDJ For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2012, 08:29 AM   #2
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only reason things get to Netflix is because theyve been a success on TV networks.
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:41 AM   #3
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It was an interesting show and I enjoyed it. It's too bad it never found an audience. I think the reveals and mythology could have been very cool.
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:48 AM   #4
OilKiller
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Watched two episodes and then took it off the PVR series' list. I imagine many people did and that's why it's gone. Just never really liked it.
OilKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:29 PM   #5
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

I watched a couple of episodes and it didn't really develop anything other than old criminals come back and do bad stuff until fat guy and hot girl arrest them. There wasn't anything of interest about the characters or the overall story arch. Plus mid-season replacements never really do that great anyway.
Mean Mr. Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 01:06 PM   #6
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnedTheCorner View Post
It was an interesting show and I enjoyed it. It's too bad it never found an audience. I think the reveals and mythology could have been very cool.
It had an audience and lost it. Almost 10 million people watched its premiere, but less than half of that number watched the finale.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:14 PM   #7
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Meh, It's own fault really. It had enough star power and advance buzz to succeed but there was to much show and not enough tell. I dunno, I watched the show but something always felt "off" about it... I think it was that the returnee's always seemed stiff and artificial to me. I never bought that these were guys from thrust into the present from the past. They never seemed to display any culture shock or other features that made them different from you or I.

I'm more bummed that The River is getting axed.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 01:26 PM   #8
RedMileDJ
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
Meh, It's own fault really. It had enough star power and advance buzz to succeed but there was to much show and not enough tell. I dunno, I watched the show but something always felt "off" about it... I think it was that the returnee's always seemed stiff and artificial to me. I never bought that these were guys from thrust into the present from the past. They never seemed to display any culture shock or other features that made them different from you or I.

I'm more bummed that The River is getting axed.
I was hoping the show would expand on that.

I had a lot of questions I was hoping would be answered:

1. Why where they taking all that blood?
2. Are they clones of actually coming back from a time-shift?
3. Why doesn't the chick have more scenes where she's running?
4. What's with the gold?
5. Will the big guy ever lose some weight?

...stuff like that.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:41 PM   #9
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHotHeat View Post
The only reason things get to Netflix is because theyve been a success on TV networks.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2012, 10:25 PM   #10
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the big problem with alcatraz is that it still bogged itself down in having a singular plot in each episode rather than just focus on the over arching plot.

I really liked the over arching plot but the episodes were just police procederals. This year you had

Person of Interest
Alcatraz
Awake

Really the episode to episode plots are just catch the criminal but its the over arching plots that hook me. Cable is allowed to do true season long plots without the episode crap holding it back. Im glad at least person of interest was kept going.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2012, 10:34 PM   #11
Stillman16
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red-Mile-DJ View Post
I was hoping the show would expand on that.

I had a lot of questions I was hoping would be answered:

1. Why where they taking all that blood?
2. Are they clones of actually coming back from a time-shift?
3. Why doesn't the chick have more scenes where she's running?
4. What's with the gold?
5. Will the big guy ever lose some weight?

...stuff like that.
The blood they were testing to see if it had the silver in it (healing properties-according to the show), and then if it was a match to the doctor (to heal her)
Stillman16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:37 PM   #12
RedMileDJ
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillman16 View Post
The blood they were testing to see if it had the silver in it (healing properties-according to the show), and then if it was a match to the doctor (to heal her)
No, no, no. I'm talking about in the past. They took a lot of blood from Madison's grandfather, when he was an in-mate in Alcatraz.

But whatever...we'll never know now.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:42 PM   #13
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Show was dumb to begin with. Seemed like they just put together a bunch of ridiculous story lines and tried to make something out of it.

I watched half of the 1st episode and never bothered with the rest.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:44 PM   #14
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I think the big problem with alcatraz is that it still bogged itself down in having a singular plot in each episode rather than just focus on the over arching plot.

I really liked the over arching plot but the episodes were just police procederals. This year you had

Person of Interest
Alcatraz
Awake

Really the episode to episode plots are just catch the criminal but its the over arching plots that hook me. Cable is allowed to do true season long plots without the episode crap holding it back. Im glad at least person of interest was kept going.
Agreed about the lack of progress/urgency in moving the over arching plot forward. The entire show seemed like it was cooked up as an exercise to devise a finite, multi-season story (one episode per inmate, genius!) without actually *having* a multi-season story. I think the writing was already on the wall for the show before things started moving on the overall story in the last couple of episodes.
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:52 PM   #15
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

The best part of the show was the virtual shot-for-shot remake of the car chase from Bullitt in the finale (including the repeated appearance of the same green VW Beetle).

Last edited by getbak; 05-12-2012 at 11:55 PM.
getbak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to getbak For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2012, 04:06 AM   #16
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't enjoy the show at all. After watching 3 episodes I knew it would get canned. While I usually wait a few more to judge I didn't think this one would right itself. It had good elements for mystery and storytelling but it was missing the hook. After so many great shows on TV this one was falling short.

I wonder how much the networks changed the original story-arch in this. Joss Whedon vowed never to work with network TV anymore because they ruined his last two shows... Networks love the episodic style series...
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:15 AM   #17
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by To Be Quite Honest View Post

I wonder how much the networks changed the original story-arch in this. Joss Whedon vowed never to work with network TV anymore because they ruined his last two shows... Networks love the episodic style series...
I think that networks are missing the boat here as with the advent of PVR's, VOD, and internet downloads the penalty for missing an episode isn't there anymore. Back in the VCR day if it failed to tape because you forgot to turn the power off (Stupidest design ever) there was no way you could ever watch that episode before the next one. So if it was a continuous plot you would have to just miss the episode and try to catch up.

Now that you have options to catch up even if you miss the first 6 episodes so it should make these shows more attactive to networks. Instead after the 'Lost' boom of these type of shows they have focused on going back to more episodic versions.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:14 PM   #18
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ahh Alcatraz, yet another TV cop drama in which a female officer REQUIRES the help of a man to actually do her job.

And this one doesn't even have the charm and awesomeness of Nathan Fillion to make up for it. Not surprised this show was cancelled, it was terrible.
llama64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alcatraz , jj abrams , this sucks , tv execs are dumb