Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2013, 12:50 PM   #1461
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Sure I wouldn't mind if our players turn out to have the skillsets of those guys. But I sure hope they don't develop their personalities..Bunch o' whiners. I agree with the above poster, would rather not compare them to Blackhawk scum. As good as they are, I'll never cheer for that team.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:51 PM   #1462
goodyear
Scoring Winger

Exp:

So going forward, with the exception of the college guys, when will the Flames sign some of the unsigned guys that played well at camp?

Monahan should be in the near future but what about some of the other prospects? Ex..Sieloff, Culkin..etc
goodyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:52 PM   #1463
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

same post as this guy essentially. ^
jg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:53 PM   #1464
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodyear View Post
So going forward, with the exception of the college guys, when will the Flames sign some of the unsigned guys that played well at camp?

Monahan should be in the near future but what about some of the other prospects? Ex..Sieloff, Culkin..etc
Brossoit I think earns a contract to play with the heat. Also potentially Granlund
jg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:54 PM   #1465
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg13 View Post
So besides Monahan who else do you think will be signed in the next couple weeks?
Sounded like Culkin or Kulak could get an ELC. Could be mistaken though. It's within the last ten pages of this thread. Also would not surprise me if Padakin or Penner and Trey Lewis got an offer as well.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:55 PM   #1466
tempz
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Look I'm excited too guys, but I think some of you are being pretty unrealistic in your prognosis of their talent. ....Did someone really say Gretzky?
tempz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:56 PM   #1467
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Sieloff will happen at the end of next season. Monahan within a week I think. Culkin within a few weeks. And one of Penner/Jooris could get some sort of contract as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2013, 12:57 PM   #1468
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempz View Post
Look I'm excited too guys, but I think some of you are being pretty unrealistic in your prognosis of their talent. ....Did someone really say Gretzky?
I think someone thought someone else said Gretzky. All he said was that Gaudreau made him think of another player that had a last name that started with a G. I got Giroux out of it, not Gretzky.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:01 PM   #1469
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

More interesting question, who of those that attended camp will be on the big team roster? (F/D/G) Any predictions?

Edit: and for more than 9 games.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:03 PM   #1470
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brossoit and Granlund are already signed.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:04 PM   #1471
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
I was thinking of Gretzky.

I'm not near placing any sort of hopes or expectations of team shouldering star. Reasonable hope is a Michael Nylander, Kristian Huselius, 'special teams' type player which would make it a fantastic draft pick.

I was comparing it to Gretzky in the style of play and smarts, in that he never takes a hit because he will always unload it prior and when there are 50 potential places to unload it at that point, he will always pick one of the top 5 smartest ones.
Wow, fair enough. I hated Gretzky my whole life. I've hated the Oilers since I was four or five, but I honestly believe there will never be another player with the on ice vision of Gretzky. I honestly thought Giroux as a smaller player was where you were going with your comparison and probably a better one than Gretzky but this should make for an interesting conversation in this thread from here on out for a few pages.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:05 PM   #1472
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg13 View Post
Brossoit I think earns a contract to play with the heat. Also potentially Granlund
they both already have NHL contracts
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2013, 01:07 PM   #1473
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
More interesting question, who of those that attended camp will be on the big team roster? (F/D/G) Any predictions?

Best guess, Monahan, Wotherspoon, Knight and Berra. A couple players who could squeek in if the absolutely own the big camp in the fall, Ramage, Granlund.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:36 PM   #1474
Husky
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Best guess, Monahan, Wotherspoon, Knight and Berra. A couple players who could squeek in if the absolutely own the big camp in the fall, Ramage, Granlund.
I think Ramage is more ready than Wotherspoon as this stage.
Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:45 PM   #1475
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

If I had to guess, none of the defenseman will make the team outright. The best bet would be Sieloff but he could use some more seasoning as well. (If he made it though I would not be surprised at all). Wotherspoon likely will be an NHL D-man, but I think getting a season in the AHL might do him more good than bad. Additionally, we already have 7 D-men, so it's not like we "need" to rush anyone.

Berra will be the only goalie that could challenge for a spot. Ortio was beyond garbage this camp and unless he has the camp of a lifetime, I don't see how he isn't in Abby to start the year. Both Brossoit and Gillies are decent but will be in other leagues this year. Gillies could easily be a backup right now, but he will continue his NCAA career instead.

The forwards, Sven, Knight, Horak, Reinhart and Hanowski are the likeliest to play more than 9 games. Monahan could easily join them, but
might be put back in juniors in order to get more seasoning. That's the only way he doesn't play 9 games. All of Hanowski, Horak and Reinhart are guys that will be competing for 4th line spots.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca

Last edited by Caged Great; 07-16-2013 at 01:47 PM.
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:47 PM   #1476
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Baertschi, Knight, Horak and Reinhart will play more than 9 games.

Monahan, Wotherspoon, Granlund, Hanowski, Berra and Ramage have a chance to play at least one game.

IMO.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:51 PM   #1477
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Also would not surprise me if Padakin or Penner and Trey Lewis got an offer as well.
It would kind of surprise me if any of them got an NHL contract.

Penner wasn't very good outside of the 1st scrimage. I would let him go back and tryout for Everett.

Padakin didn't stick out to me at all.

Lewis was pretty physical but I don't think he deserves an NHL contract perhaps an AHL contract at most.

Anyways even if those 3 were up for consideration for a contract it would be better to wait to make a decision to sign them or not after the Pentiction tournament and the main camp.

But personally I think it would be a waste of one of the 50 contracts to give any of these guys a NHL contract at this point.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2013, 01:59 PM   #1478
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
It would kind of surprise me if any of them got an NHL contract.

Penner wasn't very good outside of the 1st scrimage. I would let him go back and tryout for Everett.

Padakin didn't stick out to me at all.

Lewis was pretty physical but I don't think he deserves an NHL contract perhaps an AHL contract at most.

Anyways even if those 3 were up for consideration for a contract it would be better to wait to make a decision to sign them or not after the Pentiction tournament and the main camp.

But personally I think it would be a waste of one of the 50 contracts to give any of these guys a NHL contract at this point.
I think the only two that might be possibilities of the walk ons were Jooris and Van Brabrant. I don't expect either to be NHLers, but they but they could be serviceable AHLers like Eddy and Ben Street
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 02:08 PM   #1479
Savvy27
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post

Exactly. Penner and Lewis, I think did enough to earn a spot on the rookie team to get another look, especially since we have so many college prospects who are ineligible.
Savvy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 02:21 PM   #1480
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

As for centers, I see Horak, Monahan and Knight all playing over 9 games. But one of Horak/Monahan will convert to RW. The Fan was suggesting Horak to be the most likely, as he's played wing up here a lot already. (plus we might want to keep the natural center playing his position if he's going to be a top guy for us in the future)

Reinhart will return to Abby and get a call up later in the season, just as he did this season. Definitely more warranted than sending Horak back, needs experience.

Granlund will get 1-9 games, then go to the Heat, I expect will look good though. Baertschi is there no doubt.

As for goalies, I don't know what Ramo will bring, but Berra looks solid. I think he could earn a share of the starts with Mac, but since he's the one on the two-way contract, it wouldn't surprise me to see him sent down after a few games. Sadly, by keeping MacDonald, we'll be too crowded in crease for all of them.

D-men, I'm going to predict... Ramage. Just seems mature and really solid. Wotherspoon will be close, but is gonna play in Abby. Will be a first callup though, no doubt. I expect him to be a full time NHLer next season. And Culkin could get a few games in at the start, maybe.. but he'll play in Abby. The latter two will be good, but I think they'll want to take their time with our higher end D players. Still young.