Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-12-2020, 12:30 PM   #41
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
The new reactor technology is incredibly efficient though so Nuclear waste becomes very minimal.

It basically reduces itself to almost nothing.
I'm kinda surprised you didn't work roentgens into this post.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 12:55 PM   #42
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I'm kinda surprised you didn't work roentgens into this post.
It was a good post. Not great, not terrible.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 01:10 PM   #43
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
Isn't natural gas a good transition, away from coal, less emmisions, and then down the road renewables as they become more and more efficient?

Just thinking big picture if you look at a full transition to renewables, a gradual plan would make a lot of sense.

What happens with nuclear waste nowadays? I remember that being a big issue years ago.
Yes, and Canadian natural gas has a far lower emissions footprint than natural gas from any other country.

Nuclear only makes sense for large scale power needs.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 02:54 PM   #44
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeGeeWhy View Post
http://nuclearsafety.gc.ca/eng/react...w/index.cfm#R2

This is a list of the SMR vendors who are currently working with the federal Nuclear Safety Commission. Global first power/Ultra Safe Nuclear Corp have already submitted an application to build at Chalk River.

Several other companies are working on variants of these reactors stateside and elsewhere including NuScale (Fluor) and Oklo (private) who are building pilots just south of us at Idaho Falls, but I think it would be more likely to see anyone engaging with the CNSC now to be the first to propose projects in Canada despite Oklo’s design being very appropriate for northern communities.

Biting some of SNC Lavalin or Fluor would expose you to some of these options.

NuScale is where I found BWXT and you're right that Fluor is involved. Fluor is tough to involved in because of how diverse they are and Engineering Service Providers are pretty volatile to invest in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by para transit fellow View Post
have you worked with O&G engineers who are actually working outside industry?

Their standard answer if you question them why They chose a particular options or course of action: "Well that's how we do it in Oil and Gas?

Do we really want to risk working with radioactivity?
I work as an O&G Engineer and feel like every few months is a new gig. Myself and my teams I move around rarely show complacency that would lead me to seeing this type of behavior.

There will be a time when I work outside of O&G and I'm not too worried about bringing poor behaviors along with me. I'll just learn the code and work towards my scope of work to meet those requirements.

It may not be as glim as you're anticipating. I could see salaries going down though, which is a bigger issue in this province as nothing seems to be getting any cheaper!
TSXCman is offline   Reply With Quote