Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2020, 06:51 PM   #241
shane_c
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Is anyone using a rear view mirror backup / dash camera? If so, what brand and how do you like it? I'm thinking of getting one but I'd prefer it to replace the mirror but most seem to strap onto the existing mirror. It's not a deal breaker though.

I checked with a local car audio place and they said it would be about $600 installed which seems very high since most on Amazon are $200 or less and I'd be fine to install it myself.

shane_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 09:35 AM   #242
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Cancel all cars: a BMW M3 Touring has been confirmed
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woob For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2020, 10:04 AM   #243
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
If only they would bring it to North America. Hopefully the RS6 Avant sells in decent numbers to convince other automakers that luxury wagons can sell this side of the Atlantic. Problem is that it's so expensive. At least an M3 Touring would be priced under $100k. I can attest that the S58 is a monster of an engine.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2020, 11:04 AM   #244
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
If only they would bring it to North America. Hopefully the RS6 Avant sells in decent numbers to convince other automakers that luxury wagons can sell this side of the Atlantic. Problem is that it's so expensive. At least an M3 Touring would be priced under $100k. I can attest that the S58 is a monster of an engine.
Audi's approach with the RS6 Avant in N. America is a bit strange, almost like they're positioning it as a halo car above everything else in their lineup. The availability is severely restricted to usually only a few per dealer (some larger stores seem to be getting ~10) and build slots are trading for massive premiums in the US... Seems like wagons - particularly the hot ones - would do better in the North American market if the manufacturers would, you know, actually try and supply the market.
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 12:13 PM   #245
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
Audi's approach with the RS6 Avant in N. America is a bit strange, almost like they're positioning it as a halo car above everything else in their lineup. The availability is severely restricted to usually only a few per dealer (some larger stores seem to be getting ~10) and build slots are trading for massive premiums in the US... Seems like wagons - particularly the hot ones - would do better in the North American market if the manufacturers would, you know, actually try and supply the market.
Sometimes you have to give automakers credit for knowing more than we do but I don't know why they wouldn't have chosen to bring the RS4 Avant instead with it's lower entry price making it easier to justify higher volume. I will say no matter how few they sell these vehicles should have very good resale value as they will be sought after in the used car market a few years down the road.
Old 08-13-2020, 12:55 PM   #246
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane_c View Post
Is anyone using a rear view mirror backup / dash camera? If so, what brand and how do you like it? I'm thinking of getting one but I'd prefer it to replace the mirror but most seem to strap onto the existing mirror. It's not a deal breaker though.

I checked with a local car audio place and they said it would be about $600 installed which seems very high since most on Amazon are $200 or less and I'd be fine to install it myself.
$180 on Amazon. This unit is great for me. Thinkware FA200
Then, $150 to have it installed at MobileSounds.
2019 VW Golf R
http://mobilesounds.ca/

https://www.amazon.ca/Thinkware-FA20...30218273&psc=1
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2020, 01:01 PM   #247
TimSJ
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I actually have a build slot for an RS6 Avant and spec'd the car last week for a client of mine. My client isnt 100% sure that he wants it yet but we know that if he doesn't i'm sure we can sell it and likely make some money doing it.

I can't wait to get my ass in the seat of it.

it is amazing the premium some of these vehicles go for. I got a client a new G63 earlier this year and he wanted it now and didn't want to wait. We had to pay significantly over MSRP to get one and they are still selling in the mid to high $200's... Crazy.

Last edited by TimSJ; 08-13-2020 at 01:04 PM.
TimSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TimSJ For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2020, 01:19 PM   #248
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Sometimes you have to give automakers credit for knowing more than we do but I don't know why they wouldn't have chosen to bring the RS4 Avant instead with it's lower entry price making it easier to justify higher volume. I will say no matter how few they sell these vehicles should have very good resale value as they will be sought after in the used car market a few years down the road.
I mean, I know it's good for the brand and the finance arms care, but generally an automaker's primary goal is profit, which almost entirely comes from sales (this is different than a dealership that has better profit centres).

The most profitable models for a manufacturer are the top-level cars (RS, AMG, hell, even F150 Platinums, etc) and Audi is potentially leaving millions and millions of dollars on the table by short-changing allocations and not fully exploiting the North American market... Seems like an odd move from a business standpoint, but what do I know
Old 08-14-2020, 03:02 AM   #249
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

How much of a difference is there between a euro spec car and one for NA? If they need to design a completely different exhaust system, tuning, and a bunch of other things the profit margin probably isn't there.

You would think in this day and age most countries would be very similar but from what I hear that is still not the case.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 07:31 AM   #250
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
How much of a difference is there between a euro spec car and one for NA? If they need to design a completely different exhaust system, tuning, and a bunch of other things the profit margin probably isn't there.

You would think in this day and age most countries would be very similar but from what I hear that is still not the case.
I don't think they need to redesign the exhaust system as they only need to remove the Euro market particulate filter. Since they already build LHD versions of these cars there should be few other major expenses and as far as meeting NA regulations go it's likely already under the umbrella of the existing A6. It's more a matter of selling and making enough profit to warrant building the low volume of NA spec versions that they will bring over here.
Old 08-14-2020, 08:39 AM   #251
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I don't think they need to redesign the exhaust system as they only need to remove the Euro market particulate filter. Since they already build LHD versions of these cars there should be few other major expenses and as far as meeting NA regulations go it's likely already under the umbrella of the existing A6. It's more a matter of selling and making enough profit to warrant building the low volume of NA spec versions that they will bring over here.
This is pretty much it. North America is still one of, if not the largest market for a lot of manufacturers & specifically their high-end models, so it's not like we're talking about some little niche that the auto makers really need to scratch their heads about bothering with.

Besides that, the point I was making with the RS6 is that Audi has denied the sending the RS6 Avant in the past on the basis of the market doesn't support it. Now that they've decided to offer it, they're clearly limiting supply intentionally, more so than any other car in their line up, almost like it's their halo car. Just seems odd to me...
Old 08-14-2020, 11:41 AM   #252
TimSJ
First Line Centre

Exp:

It is a halo car though. A regular A6 Avant wouldn't be but i think you could argue that any or the RS models are a halo for the brand and no question they are trying to up the hype factor by limiting supply.

Jon Olsson RS6 he did

Old 08-14-2020, 12:04 PM   #253
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ It did look a little less impressive when he was done with it unfortunately...

"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2020, 12:43 PM   #254
TimSJ
First Line Centre

Exp:

That was his old (previous version) one I believe.

He has built some interesting cars over the years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
^ It did look a little less impressive when he was done with it unfortunately...

Old 08-17-2020, 01:30 PM   #255
TimSJ
First Line Centre

Exp:

Doug Demuro has launched a new car auction site. similar in concept to Bring a Trailer but with a focus on "modern" enthusiast cars 80's and up.

http://carsandbids.com

It has been going for a few months now and has had a nice selection of cars, active bidding and actually selling cars. I really enjoy the setup and the interaction on the site. Doug comments on most of the cars going up for sale and is fairly active in the discussions on the actual auctions themselves as well.

if you are a car nut its worth checking out even with no intention to ever bid.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TimSJ For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2020, 02:03 PM   #256
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimSJ View Post
Doug Demuro has launched a new car auction site. similar in concept to Bring a Trailer but with a focus on "modern" enthusiast cars 80's and up.

http://carsandbids.com

It has been going for a few months now and has had a nice selection of cars, active bidding and actually selling cars. I really enjoy the setup and the interaction on the site. Doug comments on most of the cars going up for sale and is fairly active in the discussions on the actual auctions themselves as well.

if you are a car nut its worth checking out even with no intention to ever bid.
Really digging Cars and Bids so far. The prices are a lot more realistic than BringATrailer (fullofmoney). Watched the last few minutes of bidding on a beauty of a 911 4S cab this morning. Went for a number I could maybe afford one day.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to InglewoodFan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2020, 06:57 PM   #257
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cars and Bids is really neat, a shame that it isn't open to Canadians yet.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 10:20 PM   #258
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not a fan. They're bringing the jacked up allroad A6, and the RS6. No middle ground.

I absolutely love bigger wagons and almost got E350 vs the performance car I got when buying certified a year ago (after looking for a year). E53 AMG is now another option now that they're out a year or two and also certified, while of course the E63 is a bit of overkill and on par with the RS6 budget wise. The Volvo V90 is also a beautiful car and so rare dealers don't stock them any more. Only the Edmonton and west coast dealers did up until this year. The wagons they do stock are the Crosscountry models, jacked up like the A6 Allroad.

RS6 Avant is miles past the budget, an S6 Avant probably would be too, but an S-Line package in an A6 Avant would be great. Have to see an A6 Allroad in person but...
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2020, 12:01 AM   #259
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I mean, I know it's good for the brand and the finance arms care, but generally an automaker's primary goal is profit, which almost entirely comes from sales (this is different than a dealership that has better profit centres).

The most profitable models for a manufacturer are the top-level cars (RS, AMG, hell, even F150 Platinums, etc) and Audi is potentially leaving millions and millions of dollars on the table by short-changing allocations and not fully exploiting the North American market... Seems like an odd move from a business standpoint, but what do I know
They’re not leaving money on the table, the markets are different.

Audi sells a handful of RS7s a year. It wouldn’t sell perceptibly more RS6 Avants. People don’t buy those kinds of cars in significant numbers in Canada.

They’ll buy the crap out of SQ7s and GLE AMGs and X5 Ms, but they won’t buy cars. It sucks for people who like cars, but it’s for sure the best way for gigantic international corporations to make piles of cash.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 01:56 AM   #260
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
The Volvo V90 is also a beautiful car and so rare dealers don't stock them any more.
I just got upgraded to a V60, with the R-design package, what a nice car this is. Small turbo diesel 4 that has a fair bit of lag but once its spooled up she moves pretty good. Nice and stable at speed.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote