Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2019, 09:55 AM   #1821
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just booked my hotel in Montreal! March on, March on Cavalry!
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2019, 10:18 AM   #1822
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post

I cant believe the Faths joined the CPL. There is no way to financially turn the club around.
CPL has to be way better financially for them though. Lower salary cap, cheaper travel, probably more fan interest because of rivalry with Calgary, etc.

I'm suprised Ottawa doesnt want to switch after how season 1 has gone, but it was a no brainer for FCE.
Old 07-30-2019, 10:24 AM   #1823
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

10 tickets secured for the 14th. I can't wait. I hope they come back from the first leg in a position to do some damage at home!
Old 07-30-2019, 10:26 AM   #1824
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
CPL has to be way better financially for them though. Lower salary cap, cheaper travel, probably more fan interest because of rivalry with Calgary, etc.

I'm suprised Ottawa doesnt want to switch after how season 1 has gone, but it was a no brainer for FCE.
I do believe the Faths - in conjunction with the rest of the owners - need to let the dust settle at the end of this season and see how it all turned out. Even though FCE has been around a few years, I consider this the "guinea pig" season to see what works and what doesn't including things like MLS transfer windows, weather impact on attendance, facility improvements, etc.
Old 07-30-2019, 10:34 AM   #1825
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Prices still similar to the pre-sale. No false demand shenanigans from Ticketmaster this time. Both positive things.

I would expect that it will still be a good crowd, but I do think that numbers vs. Whitecaps were helped a lot by their fan base here in Alberta. Montreal won't draw too many from our local area, but that will hopefully be offset by the fact that this is a semifinal, another chance to see (and take down) MLS opposition, etc.

Either way - looking forward to it. Hopefully it'll be close after the away leg. Maybe even an away goal in our pocket. Montreal is going to be a different class compared to the Whitecaps, but still - why not? Stranger things have happened.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2019, 10:36 AM   #1826
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does anyone have the Promo code for the away supporters section in Montreal? I called their office and got a voice mail.
Old 07-30-2019, 10:48 AM   #1827
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm hating this love-in for Forge now that they are about to play their CONCACAF League games against Antigua FC.

For me, it's a sham that the qualifying process for this tournament did not include the entire league. While Forge had their game against Cavalry rescheduled due to playing CONCACAF League two days later, Cavalry doesn't get the same luxury, and plays Edmonton two days after their Voyageurs Cup game in 3 weeks.

Combine this with the inevitable championship match against Forge in October, plus the fallout of the racism allegations that still have yet to be addressed, and I'm supporting Antigua. I'm going full heel.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2019, 10:50 AM   #1828
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Vamonos los Panzas Verdes!

Vamonos los Aguacateros !
Old 07-30-2019, 10:59 AM   #1829
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
I'm hating this love-in for Forge now that they are about to play their CONCACAF League games against Antigua FC.

For me, it's a sham that the qualifying process for this tournament did not include the entire league. While Forge had their game against Cavalry rescheduled due to playing CONCACAF League two days later, Cavalry doesn't get the same luxury, and plays Edmonton two days after their Voyageurs Cup game in 3 weeks.

Combine this with the inevitable championship match against Forge in October, plus the fallout of the racism allegations that still have yet to be addressed, and I'm supporting Antigua. I'm going full heel.
Haha, I was going to post something very similar but thought that people would just think I was a total jerk. I've developed a strong dislike/hatred for Forge though. I don't even think that they should be playing this game, let alone all of the other issues. I hope they get pounded something like 6-1.
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2019, 11:04 AM   #1830
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Really interesting that those prices from yesterday aren't just pre-sale deals. I'm guessing those prices won't follow to regular season games yet, but hopefully a sign of potential pricing for next year.

$125 for Officers Club if you want to pay the most for the worst view...
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2019, 11:20 AM   #1831
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Really interesting that those prices from yesterday aren't just pre-sale deals. I'm guessing those prices won't follow to regular season games yet, but hopefully a sign of potential pricing for next year.

$125 for Officers Club if you want to pay the most for the worst view...
Agreed. Their hands are tied somewhat on single game, regular season tickets for this year. But the fall season ticket prices, plus this Canadian Championship match are a bit more in line with reality, and likely will form the basis for next year's single game rates. I'd love to see Whitecaps-level crowds at every league match (5k+), and with some pricing tweaks and continued buzz, I think that next year the average attendance will be higher.

Positive signs that they are tweaking things where they can.
Old 07-30-2019, 11:26 AM   #1832
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
It does feel like there is a clear bias for Forge to succeed and be the "face" of the CPL as a franchise, which is tragic considering Cavalry won the Spring Season and are furthest along in the Canadian Championship. I also hope Forge gets waxed and they have a proper qualification process starting next year.

Seems like the league wants all of the focus on Forge and would probably be very happy for them to win Fall Season.

Last edited by Ozy_Flame; 07-30-2019 at 11:28 AM.
Old 07-30-2019, 11:28 AM   #1833
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I think that if it was any other CanPL team (that qualified legitimately), I'd play the "it would be good for the league/country if they did well in the Concacaf League". Even Edmonton.

But I'm with you. The qualifying criteria was such a sham and the league's perpetual, unabashed stiffy for Forge have me rooting for these random Antiguans.

I don't believe that this one is on OneSoccer though, but I could be mistaken. That said, I'll probably just do a schadenfreude score check and maybe watch the highlights if they get embarrassed.
Old 07-30-2019, 11:32 AM   #1834
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

It's fair that Forge gets the attention with the CCL game tonight, even if the way they got there was completely rigged. The problem for Bob Young is that once Forge gets bounced, the focus will be right back on Calgary with the CanChamp semi-final round that Calgary actually earned its place in.

But yeah, I'm with Sherm on this one. Antigua all the way.
Old 07-30-2019, 12:12 PM   #1835
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

I would have expected more tickets for the Impact game to be sold this morning. Hmmm.
Old 07-30-2019, 01:29 PM   #1836
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

The game for tonight is reset for October 9th. No word on the 16th, which is just unreal. I mean it's the highest profile home game for any team in the CPL this season and they're going to play a league game against their rivals 48 hours later? Pathetic.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2019, 01:42 PM   #1837
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
The game for tonight is reset for October 9th. No word on the 16th, which is just unreal. I mean it's the highest profile home game for any team in the CPL this season and they're going to play a league game against their rivals 48 hours later? Pathetic.
I had a feeling that they'd have to reschedule that one a fair bit down the road. August is bonkers busy. Damn winning gave us two more matches.

The 16th one is tricky. I thought that moving it to Saturday the 17th would work, but Edmonton plays on Monday the 19th as well. Total logjam. I think that Edmonton and Cavalry wouldn't mind if the 16th got moved right out of there.

Surprising that they'd even have Edmonton come to town on a Friday night. That has to be a Saturday or Sunday for maximum buzz, away fans, etc.
Old 07-30-2019, 01:43 PM   #1838
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

We've been told the game against Edmonton is still August 16.

The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2019, 01:44 PM   #1839
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
We've been told the game against Edmonton is still August 16.
I will still be celebrating our win so hard that I might be waking up from underneath the bleachers just in time for kick off.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2019, 02:06 PM   #1840
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

At the same time, Slava, do we actually care about the game on the 16th? The nice thing about it is that we don't really care about the points. So why not put some fresher kids into that game and see how they match up against Edmonton?

Also, of note about the ticket sales, they've opened up the little 300 bleachers to Ticketmaster at $15.75.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
2xchamps , canadian premier league , canpl , cavalry fc , fc edmonton is no good , fuforge