Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-14-2020, 09:12 AM   #621
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I liked Solo and I hope The Mouse makes a bunch more spin offs. Rogue One was a great movie.

The sins of the ST simply can't be forgiven. But there's a thread for that.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 09:19 AM   #622
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I liked Solo and I hope The Mouse makes a bunch more spin offs. Rogue One was a great movie.

The sins of the ST simply can't be forgiven. But there's a thread for that.
The worst part for me, and now this is all heresay but from some pretty reliable sources in terms of news broken in the past, is that the bombing of Solo at the box office robbed us of an Obi-Wan and Boba Fett spinoff movie.

Now Obi-Wan was translated into a Disney+ series so at least we still get some McGregor, who is always talking about how hyped he is to come back.

But the rumoured plot for the Boba Fett movie was to be a snap shot basically starting at the scene in ESB where Vader is talking to all of the Bounty Hunters. From there the movie was going to explore the interaction of all of those bounty hunters in the hunt for Solo. The double and triple crosses, team work, betrayal, all of it. It would have been pretty damn epic. Basically grabbing a chunk of OT timeline, taking it out and expanding on it, the same way they did with Rogue One.

And I would have LOVED for them to continue to expand the OT content. And Rogue One was absolute proof that they CAN take OT content and make it feel like it is the original. Right down to the smallest details, we can all agreed they totally nailed Rogue One's timeline feeling.

Now we can't blame this on Solo, we all know that, I blame TLJ obviously as we should. But I really thought Disney would have spaced them out better. If Solo was a Christmas release it does way better, gives fans time to heal the wound. And perhaps we still get that Fett movie.
Old 07-14-2020, 09:37 AM   #623
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Solo was just bad enough for me, that I think it took away from Han Solo's character more than adding to it.

People are too optimistic about a Boba Fett movie, because of how good the Mandalorian is. It's, however, unlikely that a Mandalorian type production group would have been given the reigns to a Boba Fett movie, particularly if Solo had been successful. Boba Fett would have become another Solo, which basically devolved into a cheezy Pirates of the Caribbean in Space. Around the time Disney was making Solo they were really at a point where they were churning out a lot of crap for box office profits, which meant watering everything down and also bowing down to the standards of Chinese censors. It was an awful path for a great franchise to be on, and the poor audience reception reflected that.

I, however, don't think that Disney will miss out on the opportunity to make a profitable movie. If at the end of the day, we end waiting a couple more years for a good Boba Fett movie, after Disney has had the opportunity to pull their heads out of their *^%&%^&, then that's nothing but a positive for me. I'd rather wait for a good movie than have an bad movie screw up the story.

It's not like Disney is just going to forget about the Star Wars franchise, which they paid billions to attain. We'll see all the properties eventually. Based on the reaction from the last 3 feature films, Disney clearly needed the time to correct course. Hopefully, the Mandalorian gives them a clear idea of what to do/what not to do. I would like to see Disney build on the success of the Mandalorian with another great series or two, and then release another film, that's hopefully on the level of Rogue One.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 09:41 AM   #624
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Clone Wars had multiple Arc's around Boba Fett and how he became the Bounty Hunter that he did. I think that was interesting and pretty well done.

I don't know if a story of his search for Solo would be that great, because mainly its him flying 20 feet behind the Falcon to Bespin.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 01:19 PM   #625
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Star Wars has enough background that you can make lots of good stories that don't have to cross paths with main characters from the movies all the time. If they can just avoid that urge, that would be ideal.

Bounty Hunters in general should be great to make stories around. Why not an entire show of what happens on Coruscant? It's basically built to be clean and regal on the topside and dirty on the underside. Lots of possibilities for interesting stories and people (and none of them from the movies).
Mazrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 10:55 AM   #626
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was feeling nostalgic and watched Revenge of the Sith last night.

I genuinely like the movie and I think the story arc is fantastic. Some terrific light sabre battles, and the score is sublime.

But there's just so many misses with the CGI and dialogue. Feels like the first two movies were just filler, and the entire storyline takes place in EP III so it's a little rushed. I wish they focused more on the Anakin's internal struggle that ultimately led to his downfall.

Hayden with that smile tho.
Old 07-17-2020, 11:55 AM   #627
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Was feeling nostalgic and watched Revenge of the Sith last night.

I genuinely like the movie and I think the story arc is fantastic. Some terrific light sabre battles, and the score is sublime.

But there's just so many misses with the CGI and dialogue. Feels like the first two movies were just filler, and the entire storyline takes place in EP III so it's a little rushed. I wish they focused more on the Anakin's internal struggle that ultimately led to his downfall.

Hayden with that smile tho.

I can't say it enough Read the book, and then read Dark Lord the Rise of Darth Vader. The pictures it draws into the fall of Anakin and the machinations of Palpatine are amazing. The in office reveal scene where Anakin learns that Palpatine is a Sith Lord, and Palpatine explains to him what it means is unreal.

The one thing that's really cool, is they have the chapters start with This is what it means.

So they have a

This is what it means to be Obi-Wan Kenobi, or Padme, or Yoda (Which is terrifying because that one takes place while he's fighting Sidious and knows that his life of training as a Jedi has been misplaced). Mace (As Anakin falls), and Anakin himself. They even have ones on Dooku and Grievous that starts with "He can't laugh or cry". But they never do one on Sidious because as the book points out, he's an event horizon in the Force, he's the embodiment of the Dark Side, like Anakin was supposed to be the embodiment of the light.

Dark Lord starts before Order 66, with several Jedi, but the chapter that takes place that introduces us to Vader who still speaks like Anakin is sad and depressing and shows that Anakin now realizes that he was used by Palpatine and became nothing more then a trophy, locked away in a case of armor.

Old 07-17-2020, 12:00 PM   #628
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do you have links to the books? To make sure I get the right ones?
Old 07-17-2020, 12:11 PM   #629
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

https://www.amazon.ca/Revenge-Sith-S...language=en_CA

Matt Stover

Rise of Darth Vader with first chapter preview

https://books.google.ca/books/about/...page&q&f=false

Also because its a trilogy, and really import, the 1st book in the three book series. LOE ROTS Dark Lord

https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/star-w...20&idiq=457213

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2020, 09:30 AM   #630
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Apparently Glover is rumoured to be reprising his role as Lando for a Disney+ series, exact series unknown at this time..

https://www.cbr.com/lando-donald-glo...ey-plus-rumor/

I would love to see this. I have re watched Solo for the third time now since it came on Disney+ and I've liked it more and more each time. I think the biggest hurtle has just been accepting the actor who played Solo. Such an iconic role and basically impossible for him to fill those shoes, so you need to take it as the best possible effort available so they can tell the story.

Glover on the other hand, was an awesome Lando.
Old 07-22-2020, 10:27 AM   #631
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I thought he was great as Lando, I wouldn't want a Solo series, but a Lando series would be interesting.

Old 07-22-2020, 10:44 AM   #632
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

sure more young Lando would be cool, he doesn't have nearly as many established iconic traits as Han to over-explain (maybe how he hooked up with Lobot?)

on the other hand I don't expect to see any of the sequel trilogy principal characters to ever appear on film again, unless they are recast.
Inglewood Jack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 12:26 PM   #633
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I want a Lobot series.

Get it done Disney. Get. It. Done.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2020, 01:37 PM   #634
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Give me Prune Face

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2020, 12:33 PM   #635
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is either going to be hilarious or horrible:

Quote:
This November, The LEGO Star Wars Holiday Special, — which premieres on Life Day, November 17, 2020 on Disney+, — will reunite Rey, Finn, Poe, Chewie, Rose and all your favorite droids, from R2-D2 to BB-8, for a joyous feast on Life Day, the holiday first introduced in 1978’s Star Wars Holiday Special. The new LEGO special is the first to debut on the streaming platform and will continue the rich longtime collaboration between Lucasfilm and the LEGO Group — playful adventures told in an endearingly irreverent way.
https://www.starwars.com/news/the-le...-plus-announce

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Puppet Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2020, 04:16 PM   #636
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Guy View Post

Oh it can be both...it can be both...

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 07:14 PM   #637
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Guy View Post

Sure, we can get this trash, but we still can't get the original trilogy in it's original form.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 09:42 PM   #638
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I've liked the Lego's Star Wars series, the Freemakers was a big young, but they always portray Palpatine as this enormous jerk faced sarcasm machine. Speaking of that. I just re-read Plageuis the book for the first time in a long time, and I'd forgotten how great that book was in framing the events leading up to the Phantom Menace and the machinations of Plageuis and Palpatine in executing the Grand Plan.

When you read that book, it just makes Palpatine more brilliant later on in the PT time frame.

Old 08-15-2020, 03:10 PM   #639
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I've liked the Lego's Star Wars series, the Freemakers was a big young, but they always portray Palpatine as this enormous jerk faced sarcasm machine. Speaking of that. I just re-read Plageuis the book for the first time in a long time, and I'd forgotten how great that book was in framing the events leading up to the Phantom Menace and the machinations of Plageuis and Palpatine in executing the Grand Plan.

When you read that book, it just makes Palpatine more brilliant later on in the PT time frame.
It’s a shame this book is no longer canon. I always thought it would have made for a great anthology film.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2020, 03:17 PM   #640
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

https://www.starwars.com/news/star-w...iobook-excerpt