Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2020, 10:43 AM   #61
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Flames will have to have added a pretty good C by the time the expansion draft rolls around to even consider exposing Backlund. Either that or his play will have to have fallen off a cliff.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 11:34 AM   #62
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
The Flames will have to have added a pretty good C by the time the expansion draft rolls around to even consider exposing Backlund. Either that or his play will have to have fallen off a cliff.
I think the idea is this years playoffs is a springboard for Bennett and he has a really strong season next year as a full-time C.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 12:01 PM   #63
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think a large portion of who gets selected off the Flames will come down to how many quality defencemen there will be available around the league. The most attractive player from the Flames to Seattle may end up being a defencemen if there aren't too many solid D being exposed around the league.

Lots will change between now and then anyway. We don't know who will continue to impress and get noticed more around the league, which players start fizzling out throughout the playoffs and through next season, and what changes Treliving makes to the team.

It will hurt a lot more than an Engelland, however, and I really liked Engelland and was hoping that the Flames re-signed him.

Either way, the more players that step up and really develop, the better off this franchise is even if they end up having to lose an important piece.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 12:51 PM   #64
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I think because he played center in junior people slot him as a center. He was a LW at the WJC though and I'm not sure how much center he played in the AHL.

It's possible I guess, but he's probably a few years away from being an effective center if he moves back to that position.
Pretty sure he centred at his second WJC. But he for sure can play all fwd positions.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 12:59 PM   #65
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I get what you're saying but... Seattle will be a division rival from day 1. Do we really want to give them a player younger than 30? At least Backlund won't be an effective top 6 forward until 2030.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2020, 01:05 PM   #66
Fan69
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
I get what you're saying but... Seattle will be a division rival from day 1. Do we really want to give them a player younger than 30? At least Backlund won't be an effective top 6 forward until 2030.
To me thats an easy call. I love Backs but I would leave him out. Damn good player but his age would be a strike against him for a young team unless they saw him as a stabalizing center to start which could override that concern. Backs has a shelf life now and would hate to see him go especially for nothing but losing a Dube could haunt you for years.
Fan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fan69 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2020, 01:18 PM   #67
the-rasta-masta
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Yeah, the Flames are going to have to expose several good players. This is a good problem to have. And Seattle can only take one of them.

Still a year away, and lots of moving parts, including possible trades and signings. But the possibility of exposing Backlund has gone from almost inconceivable a year ago, to very possible at this point. And that is not an indictment of him, just a result of the fact that Duba, Bennett and Mangiapane continue to develop, and Backlund will be 32 with a $5.35M cap hit.

Also, convincing Seattle to take Ryan (with a sweetener) would be the dream.
Ryan would be a UFA no?
the-rasta-masta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 01:19 PM   #68
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-rasta-masta View Post
Ryan would be a UFA no?
Like Engelland

That's why it's a dream
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 01:29 PM   #69
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

This was my view of Dube in last year's prospect rankings, where I had him ranked as my #2 prospect, narrowly behind Valimaki for #1 and quite far ahead of #3.

At the time he had finished his first year of pro after spending a season as the number one centre of the Kelowna Rockets. The jump from junior to the AHL is huge so I wasn't surprised to see him spend his first AHL season largely at wing learning the ropes of the pro game. However, given we have another year of information nearly exclusively on the wing, any projections of a future centre must be downgraded significantly.

While I hold the same opinion on his ceiling and probable projections as it relates to line, it is pretty safe to remove centre from those projections and leave it at wing for now. Maybe he can shift back in spot duty in future years but we'll see.

Either way, his offensive game is coming along nicely and he is already a breakout, neutral zone, and zone entry machine. Defensively he is developing a bit slower but look at his age. No concerns that will catch up, too. Awesome player with a bright future who can play up and down the lineup with ease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by united View Post
Dillon Dube
Terrific two-way centre who can easily transition to either wing. Terrific utility player. Generated sizeable production in junior without abandoning his defensive duties and didn't rely on the powerplay. Carried that into a monster first season in the AHL given his age at over a point-per-game with only a quarter coming on the PP. Also doesn't rely on others to carry him generating over 3 shots/game. A step behind in the NHL in both pre-season and regular season as expected - training camp heater gave brief unrealistic expectations for those who puck watch exclusively.

Ceiling: 1st line C/W
Probable: 1B/2A C/W
Floor: 3rd line C

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."
united is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to united For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2020, 01:30 PM   #70
ignite09
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan69 View Post
To me thats an easy call. I love Backs but I would leave him out. Damn good player but his age would be a strike against him for a young team unless they saw him as a stabalizing center to start which could override that concern. Backs has a shelf life now and would hate to see him go especially for nothing but losing a Dube could haunt you for years.
Yeah, that's what the Flames need. Let's help Seattle build an expansion lineup equal too Vegas. Then we can have two expansion franchises in our division that are better than we are.
ignite09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 01:38 PM   #71
Fan69
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignite09 View Post
Yeah, that's what the Flames need. Let's help Seattle build an expansion lineup equal too Vegas. Then we can have two expansion franchises in our division that are better than we are.
So better to give them a younger Backlund? Someone is going, I for one would rather it not include Valimaki, Anderson, Hannifin, Dube, mangianpane, Tkachuk, or Monahan or johnny.

So who?
If i was picking off Calgary's roster in this scenario I would be thrilled if Dube or Mangiapane were available.

Last edited by Fan69; 08-13-2020 at 01:40 PM.
Old 08-13-2020, 01:44 PM   #72
ignite09
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan69 View Post
So better to give them a younger Backlund? Someone is going, I for one would rather it not include Valimaki, Anderson, Hannifin, Dube, mangianpane, Tkachuk, or Monahan or johnny.

So who?
If i was picking off Calgary's roster in this scenario I would be thrilled if Dube or Mangiapane were available.
Send them a second to take Ryan, work out a deal. You don't send them a 50 point second line shut down center that also plays a huge role for this team. That's just stupid.
ignite09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 01:45 PM   #73
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dube and Mangiapane are still young and cost controlled.

Backlund, at 32, and costing $5.35M, is fair market value, and can be replaced by another FA for similar money.

(referring to future Backlund here)
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 01:47 PM   #74
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Send them a second to take Ryan, work out a deal. You don't send them a 50 point second line shut down center that also plays a huge role for this team. That's just stupid.
Well you also need them to agree to a deal.

Of course you try to work out a deal to take on an expiring contract like Ryan. But, should that not work out, you're going to have to expose someone good, and you have to balance current performance with expected future performance.

As we saw with Vegas, deals didn't really work out in anyone's favour but Vegas.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2020, 03:34 PM   #75
Fan69
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:

No whats stupid is thinking that they would be dumb enough to take that offer. If your Seattle management and you have your eye on Dube or Mangiapane as a top six emerging are you going to take the lesser player and a second which they will have in spades just like Vegas did?

No your going to kick the door in because they own all the cards, the table, the joint, the town, the politicians are paid off and the chief of police is your brother. All they have to do is go ok but it will cost you a first otherwise you better protect Dube and Eat bread, and what are you gonna do about it?
Old 08-13-2020, 04:08 PM   #76
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well you also need them to agree to a deal.
Could you trade a player to another team, along with a draft pick, for future considerations. Have the other team protect said player, and then trade him back to us after the expansion draft, while keeping the draft pick?

Quote:
As we saw with Vegas, deals didn't really work out in anyone's favour but Vegas.
I think people will approach the Seattle draft a little differently this time. Besides, in Vegas the house always wins
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 04:11 PM   #77
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They have a big, physical 6'3" 235 lb "centerman" on the third line that is scoring a point per game in the playoffs.

It's like what we've hoped for ever since the Flames missed out on the Eric Lindros sweepstakes!