Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-13-2020, 12:17 PM   #121
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
The Canucks rebuild has had a lot of Good "bad luck". It's also had a lot of just good old fashioned good luck. Canucks win the lottery in the Pettersson draft, they don't take him. Hayton and Koktaniemi going up the board, allowing Hughes to drop. This doesn't even talk about getting Boeser in the late 1st round. Then they've also "hit" on some mid and late round picks in Gaudette, Madden, Rathbone, Hoglander. This has allowed questionable picks like Juolevi (who actually looked pretty good in his debut vs the Wild) who has been derailed by injuries and Virtanen to not completely #### it all up like Edmonton or Florida.

Then you factor in stuff like Horvat surpassing his expected "ceiling". The JT Miller deal working out better than anyone expected. Markstrom morphing into the goalie that it was expected he would be when drafted.

And through it all, despite their lean towards NCAA collegiate players, have yet to have one walk a la Fox.

And despite all this, despite some amazing drafting, a world class goalie and all these other things going right... it could still all be considered a bust if they don't make the play-offs consistently and make some noise.
Covid kinda helped with Rathbone too

From reading a few people he was 50/50 on going back to school next year and the be an FA, and then who knows what happens. Boston certainly would have made a run at him, but with harvard cancelling all athletics, him signing was automatic
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 12:25 PM   #122
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

I hated the naslund/bertuzzi canucks, and then the burrow/kesler canucks.

But before and after, I like them.

I hate the Oilers from the start and forever.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2020, 12:30 PM   #123
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
Covid kinda helped with Rathbone too

From reading a few people he was 50/50 on going back to school next year and the be an FA, and then who knows what happens. Boston certainly would have made a run at him, but with harvard cancelling all athletics, him signing was automatic

Like I said. Good "bad luck".

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 12:37 PM   #124
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

There really isn't anyone hateable on the Nucks right now, they even got rid of Sven. There are a few likeable players in Ferland, Horvat, etc. Their fans are mostly decent and have some humility unlike some other Canadian fanbases. I'm okay with them winning, I'd rather face them in the conference finals.

There are a lot of other teams that deserve the hate, the oilers forever and ever, the Ducks (even with Perry gone), Sharks. Don't hate the Habs anymore either now that decades have passed. I don't hate the Leafs, just their obnoxious fans.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 12:50 PM   #125
alnigi
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

What a stupid waste of a life , as far as I'm concerned..... Hating other sports teams/cities.
Yes, like the world needs more hate, bigotry, prejudice.
alnigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 12:58 PM   #126
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by alnigi View Post
What a stupid waste of a life , as far as I'm concerned..... Hating other sports teams/cities.

I hate you.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2020, 01:00 PM   #127
alnigi
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I hate you.
alnigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 01:30 PM   #128
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
when it comes to hating the Oilers, I will happily name myself the Hitler / Stalin / Mao / Trump / Grand Wizard on that front.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 01:33 PM   #129
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggernaught View Post
I'm enjoying Kevin Bieksa between periods on the panel. Quick sense of humor, good analysis, interesting tidbits and hockey explanations that haven't been "dumbed down". I think he was made for broadcasting. Huge upgrade on former players who tried to make the transition like PJ Stock.
I finally listened to him a couple of days ago. Why does he talk like that blonde chick from Clueless though?
Old 08-13-2020, 01:43 PM   #130
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hating the Oilers and their fans is like hating white supremacists. You may not want to feed into it, but you do anyway because any alternative would be abetting a terrible, no good group of people.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mrdonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2020, 02:07 PM   #131
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Unfortunately the way Benning has managed the cap, this year might be the Canucks' best shot for the next few. They've been using LTIR all year so Pettersson and Hughes' performance bonuses are going to get lopped off of next year's cap, and they have to re-sign or replace Markstrom, Tanev, and Toffoli, plus fill in 4 additional roster spots with barely any space. And they also have to account for the raises that Pettersson and Hughes will get in 2021 when they come off of their ELCs, so they can't really tie themselves down to large multi-year deals for next season. Paying $20M to Eriksson, Sutter, Beagle, and Myers isn't looking so hot right now.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 02:19 PM   #132
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Since the Blues won a Cup last year, they can GTFO this year.

As for the Canucks, I don't mind them having success when it makes the Oilers plight even more laughable. Yes, I'm petty like that:

Vancouver young stars (Pettersson & Hughes) > Edmonton Young Stars (Mcavi & Raisaitl)
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 02:19 PM   #133
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Tyler Myers contract has to be near top of the league for bad. Wowweeee.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 02:26 PM   #134
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
Since the Blues won a Cup last year, they can GTFO this year.

As for the Canucks, I don't mind them having success when it makes the Oilers plight even more laughable. Yes, I'm petty like that:

Vancouver young stars (Pettersson & Hughes) > Edmonton Young Stars (Mcavi & Raisaitl)
Either the Blues lose, or the Nucks lose. It's a WIN/WIN!
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 02:29 PM   #135
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
Unfortunately the way Benning has managed the cap, this year might be the Canucks' best shot for the next few. They've been using LTIR all year so Pettersson and Hughes' performance bonuses are going to get lopped off of next year's cap, and they have to re-sign or replace Markstrom, Tanev, and Toffoli, plus fill in 4 additional roster spots with barely any space. And they also have to account for the raises that Pettersson and Hughes will get in 2021 when they come off of their ELCs, so they can't really tie themselves down to large multi-year deals for next season. Paying $20M to Eriksson, Sutter, Beagle, and Myers isn't looking so hot right now.
Brandon Sutter will be coming off the books when Hughes and Pettersson require raises. Eriksson stings, but hopefully they could package him off with an asset to a team Marleau style if they need to. It would be unfortunate and would be Benning's biggest mistake costing the team again. As for Beagle and Roussel, they hurt but they are showing their value in the playoffs so far. What really hurts the most is Luongo's cap recapture hit where it is 3 million sitting as dead cap space, on top of the other 3 million for Baertshi and Spooner.
Mean Mr. Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 11:58 AM   #136
Zach
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Blues need better goaltending if they want to come back in this series. Binnington has looked awful.
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 12:17 PM   #137
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, Blues look like the Blues pre Gloria run. A bit of an exaggeration, but Binnington is not making the saves the team needs.
Robbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 12:28 PM   #138
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Yeah, Blues look like the Blues pre Gloria run. A bit of an exaggeration, but Binnington is not making the saves the team needs.
Binnington has not been good at all but the Canucks are doing things differently than the Flames as their best players have been their best players. I get the feeling that some teams just aren't as up for this Stanley Cup tournament as others as the Blues haven't looked right since the start of the preliminary games.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 12:53 PM   #139
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The Canucks rebuild has had a lot of Good "bad luck". It's also had a lot of just good old fashioned good luck. Canucks win the lottery in the Pettersson draft, they don't take him. .
I actually wonder if the Canucks had #1 if they would have still taken him. I think some people had Elias really high on their board based on his unreal stats in Sweden. When you looked at players with comparable production at that age, in that league, it certainly seemed like he was a player.
I suspect they may have still grabbed him.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 01:03 PM   #140
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I actually wonder if the Canucks had #1 if they would have still taken him. I think some people had Elias really high on their board based on his unreal stats in Sweden. When you looked at players with comparable production at that age, in that league, it certainly seemed like he was a player.
I suspect they may have still grabbed him.
Nah, they had Hirschier at the top like everyone else. Petey was second or third on their board.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver