Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-29-2019, 07:45 AM   #1781
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Yep. It's always fun to make fun of Edmonton since they always deserve it. But they've had decent weather for maybe two of their seven home games so far.
Old 07-29-2019, 08:36 AM   #1782
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not buying the weather excuse. If the stands were consistently full this season? Sure. But they aren't.

That screenshot is of their supporters section, the fans who are supposed to be 100% committed every game and incessantly trash on Calgary. FC Edmonton had an 8 year head start on Cavalry, and I've seen the stands that empty for years in both good and bad weather, for MLS, NASL and CPL clubs. Our supporters section was full in the snow FFS.

You know it's bad when Edmonton supporters don't respond with banter, just agreement.

The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2019, 08:54 AM   #1783
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am of the opinion that the brand 'FC Edmonton' shouldn't have been recycled in the CPL. They should have started fresh, with a new team direction and name. Me thinks the existing apathy towards the club stems from their turbulent past with that brand.
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2019, 09:00 AM   #1784
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I live in Edmonton. They are doing a horrible job at marketing their team. Actually can I say they are doing a horrible job if they aren’t even doing it ? Literally zero marketing. Edmonton has some die hard sports fans, and they could definitely build a strong attendance. If the club did a better job of marketing and such. But hey they aren’t doing that sooooo.... Edmonton is no good.
Old 07-29-2019, 09:17 AM   #1785
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahan For Mayor View Post
I live in Edmonton. They are doing a horrible job at marketing their team. Actually can I say they are doing a horrible job if they aren’t even doing it ? Literally zero marketing. Edmonton has some die hard sports fans, and they could definitely build a strong attendance. If the club did a better job of marketing and such. But hey they aren’t doing that sooooo.... Edmonton is no good.
Yeah I agree - very little marketing. They had a pop-up store on Whye Ave about two years ago that was very visible, but nothing this year.

For the record, the baseball games at Telus Field in Rossdale probably get equal - if not more attendance - than FCE.

I have to think the facility is just not ideal. Yes it's a soccer field, but when you see it it looks like a practice facility for amateur teams that pales in the shadow of Commonwealth Field. It also feels very temporary. It's not conducive to building a fan support atmosphere.

If I had unlimited bucks, I would probably put it in the redeveloped Rossdale area, as there is ample land, it's extremely central and accessible (relatively speaking), and it's walkable to other amenities if the Rossdale development plan goes ahead.

No one wants to walk around Stadium / McCauley after a game. It's not a neighborhood you want to be in leisurely.
Old 07-29-2019, 09:28 AM   #1786
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

I should add, the Cardiff City / Real Valladolid match probably drew 3000-5000 fans, and there is a Chile/Ecuador friendly coming in September (not to mention the outstanding attendance figures for the 2015 Womens World Cup), so it's not like Edmonton doesn't have the population nor interest, those are definitely there . . . I think the Fath Group needs to really bump up the visibility of FCE, and especially pump the tires on a Calgary/Edmonton rivalry for provincial soccer dominance (even if Calvary is top of the class right now).

I should say that FCE is overshadowed by the Eskimos as well, simply from a coverage and summer sport expectation standpoint.

Marketing is so critical to getting the Edmonton team to succeed as well. I do plan to attend an FCE game and will report back on the atmosphere.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2019, 10:06 AM   #1787
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm worried that I wont be able to land a ticket in the 200s for the Can champ semis.
Old 07-29-2019, 10:12 AM   #1788
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Yup. Whyte Ave should be littered in billboards/posters what have you. That street gets so much traction, especially from millennials that is where I would start. The venue does suck for sure, but i think they can get past that. At the end of the day if the Faths haven’t figured this out yet, I doubt they will.

Also if they were going to try and pop up a new stadium somewhere I would be looking south of the river. Near the U of A and Whyte. I can’t think of any particular spots, but I’d definitely be trying to build a fan base around teens/20s.
Old 07-29-2019, 10:15 AM   #1789
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

3-5,000 in Commonwealth would have made for a dreadful atmosphere.
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2019, 10:26 AM   #1790
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahan For Mayor View Post
Also if they were going to try and pop up a new stadium somewhere I would be looking south of the river. Near the U of A and Whyte. I can’t think of any particular spots, but I’d definitely be trying to build a fan base around teens/20s.
I would also say that FCE should be targeting community soccer teams, particularly kids. It really should be a sporting event that you'll find lots of community teams attending, for kids from 6-18 so they see professional soccer. I remember attending the Al Classico and there were a fair number of them. Give them a preferable group rate (or special rate for ESA, EMSA) and that might go a long way.

South of the river? I would probably say try and do something around Foote Field / 113th and Belgravia Road. Basically the U of A south sports campus and where the new Super Lab was supposed to be. There is generally good access from Whitemud, the downtown driving crowd doesn't have to go too far, and there is a train stop in an area that is safe and pleasant. Only problem would be the congestion getting in/out of the campus area but there are multiple entry/exit points. Converting some of that derelect land south of 76 Ave between Calgary Trail and Gateway Blvd would be incredible for access, although probably too costly of a venture.

Also, the Cardiff/Valladolid game had a great atmosphere for the number of people attending. There were lots of passionate football fans there, bringing out the local Welsh and Spanish communities. It was fine, and quite the opposite of dreadful.
Old 07-29-2019, 10:37 AM   #1791
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
I watched a bit on TV and it looked like an open practice atmosphere.
Old 07-29-2019, 10:52 AM   #1792
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I've been in the stands at Commonwealth for an FC Edmonton / Whitecaps game with only 2700 in attendance. Dreadful sums it up.

Old 07-29-2019, 11:16 AM   #1793
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

I actually attended the game, and I'm telling you guys it was fine. It was more muted for sure than an EPL or La Liga game, no denying that, but it wasn't some dreadful miserable thing. I am sure you folks know the difference between a stadium and what you see on TV.

Shermanator - what year did you see FCE/Whitecaps?
Old 07-29-2019, 11:24 AM   #1794
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Yes, and I've been to games where a large stadium was less than 5% full like in this case. IMO, you have to work pretty hard to legitimately believe the atmosphere is "fine" in those cases.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2019, 11:29 AM   #1795
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
I actually attended the game, and I'm telling you guys it was fine. It was more muted for sure than an EPL or La Liga game, no denying that, but it wasn't some dreadful miserable thing. I am sure you folks know the difference between a stadium and what you see on TV.

Shermanator - what year did you see FCE/Whitecaps?
2012. With the exception of their entry into the stadium, both supporters groups could not be heard throughout the rest of the stadium. Probably doesn't help that Edmonton were completely outmatched throughout the game.

Old 07-29-2019, 11:30 AM   #1796
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Show me a Canadian city the size of Edmonton that can fill a 60k seat stadium for a match between a random Welsh and Spanish team, and I'll show you a warm tropical island off the coast of Nunavut. I'll wait.
Old 07-29-2019, 11:31 AM   #1797
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes, and I've been to games where a large stadium was less than 5% full like in this case. IMO, you have to work pretty hard to legitimately believe the atmosphere is "fine" in those cases.
Agree. Dino's should play at shouldice
Old 07-29-2019, 11:33 AM   #1798
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Ok, what does that have to do with anything?

Maybe the better question is to ask why this game was played in a 60,000 seat stadium in a market that rarely draws 3000 for the local team in the first place.

In retrospect, they would have been better off playing the game at FCE's stadium. Maybe a mostly full park at the home of the local team would have helped encourage some soccer curious fans to come back.
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2019, 11:36 AM   #1799
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Show me a Canadian city the size of Edmonton that can fill a 60k seat stadium for a match between a random Welsh and Spanish team, and I'll show you a warm tropical island off the coast of Nunavut. I'll wait.
I will counter with the following question....

...why is a Canadian city the size of Edmonton hosting a friendly between a Welsh team and a Spanish team? A city which has completely failed to support their local team in all but probably two games in the last 9 years?

And while not 60000, Regina drew 15000 for a friendly between the New York Cosmos and Valencia in 2017. So a smaller city drew 3 times as many people for a random Spanish team vs an American team.

https://leaderpost.com/sports/soccer...aws-15000-plus

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2019, 11:40 AM   #1800
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
2012. With the exception of their entry into the stadium, both supporters groups could not be heard throughout the rest of the stadium. Probably doesn't help that Edmonton were completely outmatched throughout the game.
The game between Canada and China at the Women's World Cup in 2015 drew 53k, CAN/NED drew 45k, and CAN/NZ drew 35k. Every other game at Commonwealth was a range between 10k-50k.

While a World Cup is a different scenario, asking basically an NASL team in 2012 to draw a major crowd in Edmonton beyond their normal attendance numbers is a large stretch, especially when using such a large stadium.

I am not sure it's fair to hold supporters groups to high standards given the size of the stadium. You'd have to proportionally increase the size of the supporters group in membership versus the stadium size just to be fair to start.
Closed Thread

Tags
2xchamps , canadian premier league , canpl , cavalry fc , fc edmonton is no good , fuforge