Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-06-2014, 05:43 PM   #41
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustache ride View Post
I don't get this. He is being forced out of his job, why does he owe it to Fallon or anyone else to leave the spotlight. He is still being a good soldier, bringing along Fallon, as he did Conan before him. But once the checks stop why should he have to give up something he obviously enjoys. If he can get a show on CNN then all the power to him.
A few things:

- Jay being forced out or whatever is irrelevant IMO. Carson probably didn't want out either. But there's a new generation of TV viewers that NBC isn't capturing. They had hoped Conan would do it, and maybe he would have if he had the chance, but a month into his gig, both Leno and NBC swoop into the time slot before because the Tonight Show ratings dropped. The initial ratings drop was expected, but the Leno show made things even worse. Hopefully NBC learns from their mistake with Conan and give Fallon a chance, because I bet Jimmy will see a similar drop in ratings initially.

- As for why Jay shouldn't go after another gig, in technical terms yes, you're right. He has every right to go for another job, but NBC has given him a solid gig for 25 years. In most people's eyes that would be worth something. If Leno goes for a show on a different network, good for him. But it doesn't sit well in my books. He really does owe NBC a lot, and should give Fallon and NBC a chance, rather than trying to take back his slot on another network. I think NBC will have learned from their mistakes after the Conan disaster. We'll see if Leno learned anything as well, or go the selfish route.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:16 PM   #42
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Wow, I've never seen such a big back and forth battle between youtube and users to keep a popular video off youtube. ##### Riot was interviewed on the Colbert Report and were obviously very critical of Russia and Putin, painted them in a really bad light.

Now obviously, most Colbert/Daily show videos aren't supposed to be there and eventually get removed, but most stay for days/weeks, sometimes months.

Youtube is attacking this interview hard, and there's talk that obviously Russia is pissed at this interview on a popular American show and are getting involved to keep it off youtube.

There's currently like 10 uploads of the interview up there, with most coming up as "Youtube has banned this video" and what not.

The only one left seems to be this grainy version.

jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:32 AM   #43
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Not a big Leno fan at all, but his closing speech last night was pretty emotional. Talked about the people his worked with over the years and also losing some family members while he was working on the show.

KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2014, 09:44 AM   #44
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Last time Leno ended the Tonight Show, IIRC, he brought out all the people on staff and the children that were born to them during the run.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:00 PM   #45
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
Not a big Leno fan at all, but his closing speech last night was pretty emotional. Talked about the people his worked with over the years and also losing some family members while he was working on the show.

Yeah, I started watching last night as a Leno hater, but thought "meh, it's a big night and I'd like to see Garth Brooks perform".

What got me was the family thing, because me and others have always laighed at that like it was a knock against him. You always here other comedians like Kimmel and Stern making fun of him about not really being into family, having no kids and how his shows is all he's got, like it's a bad thing.

So to hear him crying and saying "In my first season, my mom died, in my second season, my dad died, then I lost my brother, then after that I was pretty much out of family", and went on to say that the show really became his family, was a pretty emotional to watch.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2014, 04:00 PM   #46
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still hate Leno. One show won't change my mind.

In other news, Andy Richter curls!
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 04:41 PM   #47
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameswin View Post
Wow, I've never seen such a big back and forth battle between youtube and users to keep a popular video off youtube. ##### Riot was interviewed on the Colbert Report and were obviously very critical of Russia and Putin, painted them in a really bad light.

Now obviously, most Colbert/Daily show videos aren't supposed to be there and eventually get removed, but most stay for days/weeks, sometimes months.

Youtube is attacking this interview hard, and there's talk that obviously Russia is pissed at this interview on a popular American show and are getting involved to keep it off youtube.

There's currently like 10 uploads of the interview up there, with most coming up as "Youtube has banned this video" and what not.

The only one left seems to be this grainy version.

ehh that was weak. If Colbert could have just let go of his schtick for a few minutes he could have pulled a great interview out there. I find his show incredibly stale and Stewart's still great.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:48 PM   #48
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I love when Colbert interviews a band. You can tell they love it too because he does not ask cliche questions.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:47 PM   #49
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post

I know I'm in the minority here, but I've always loved Leno.
When he retired last time, I convinced my 6 month preggo wife to fly down to LA so we could see him live before he left. When the show was over, she used her pregnancy to get on stage and meet him. We had a meet and great, got our pics taken and he was genuinely nice and asked more questions than he answered. He's always been one of the top 5 people I wanted to meet in person and it was an awesome experience.

Since having kids, I really haven't watched tons of his show, but when I do catch it, I still love it. It'll be odd not having him on anymore.
JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 01:13 AM   #50
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Not sure if this should go into the Walking Dead thread or this one. Went with this one:

Edit: To hell with it! I threw it in both!

Last edited by Teh_Bandwagoner; 02-08-2014 at 01:16 AM.
Teh_Bandwagoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 02:39 AM   #51
RedMileDJ
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Jimmy Fallon says goodbye to Late Night with the Muppets.

RedMileDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RedMileDJ For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2014, 02:48 AM   #52
RedMileDJ
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

And this is a pretty good mix. Lots of talent.

RedMileDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RedMileDJ For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2014, 03:00 AM   #53
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
I usually skip when the other hosts do interviews, because the guests usually just tell lame stories, but I love how Ferguson has fun with his guests.
Jon Stewart still has the best interviews on late night. Either you get a celebrity that he has fun with, a comedian (whom he's likely long time friends with) and they completely tear it up, or you get someone really intelligent and a far deeper conversation than any other late night show on TV. The format is so much better too, only half the time of a regular interview but if it's good then they just keep going and throw the whole thing online
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2014, 03:43 AM   #54
Pizza
Poster

Exp:

lol, Conan is allowed one jab at Leno

Spoiler!

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/conan-jab...ing-the-torch/
Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 04:08 PM   #55
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fred Armisen will be the band leader on the new Late Night.

Old 02-10-2014, 04:21 PM   #56
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

http://www.ifc.com/shows/portlandia/...t-fred-armisen

NBC’s Late Night is defined by its host and bandleader. Letterman and Schaffer. Fallon and Questlove. And now: Meyers and Armisen. That’s right, Seth Meyers announced on Twitter today that Fred Armisen will “curate and lead the band,” and most importantly, “continue to run it even when he’s off shooting Portlandia.

Wow, that is a great move for Seth. Armisen was actually a drummer in an indie band in Chicago before he got into comedy. He plays guitar too. His partner on Portlandia Carrie Brownstein is one of the most kick-ass female rockers of all time. The bonus for Seth is that Fred can do comedy and sketches too.

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/n...eader-20140210

Armisen will sing and play guitar, and he'll be backed by an eclectic group of players: guitarist Seth Jabour (Les Savy Fav), bassist Syd Butler (Les Savy Fav), keyboardist Eli Janney (Girls Against Boys) and drummer Kim Thompson (Beyoncé's touring band).

Armisen, who previously worked with Meyers as a cast member on Saturday Night Live, has an impressive musical pedigree. A multi-instrumentalist, Armisen formerly played drums in punk band Trenchmouth and the Blue Man Group, and music is an essential element in his comedic style – from his British punk parody Ian Rubbish to his many musical performances on Portlandia and SNL.
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2014, 04:41 PM   #57
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah but does he actually play the sax?
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:23 PM   #58
Brannigans Law
First Line Centre

Exp:

Great move by Seth to start things off. FA is pretty funny, and Portlandia is one of my favourite shows no one I know watches. It should be cooler talk god damn it!
Well, deal with it. I wasn't cheering for Canada either way. Nothing worse than arrogant Canadian fans. They'd be lucky to finish 4th. Quote me on that. They have a bad team and that is why I won't be cheering for them.
Brannigans Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:00 PM   #59
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

New Tonight Show starts now - good luck Jimmy ...
Old 02-17-2014, 10:11 PM   #60
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

PVR set!

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote