Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2013, 12:14 AM   #21
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Gotta say love the early scouting reports and youtube video on playmaking center Leon Draisaitl

Draisaitl caught my eye at the WJC for Germany. Very slick and skilled. Will be interesting to see where he ends up going next year.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:01 AM   #22
FlameZilla
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ekblad would be the perfect fit for us. 6'4" right-shooting monster defenceman.

If we missed out on Sam for Ekblad, McDavid is still on the board for our tank-job in 2015. Happy days.
FlameZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:10 AM   #23
BACKCHECK!!!
First Line Centre

Exp:

Somebody has to say it, so we may as well get it out of the way now.

"I really hope we get Conor McDavid this year."

There. I did it.

It's like chicken pox, the longer you wait, the worse it will be when it does happen. Best to be done with it now.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:05 AM   #24
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BACKCHECK!!! View Post
Somebody has to say it, so we may as well get it out of the way now.

"I really hope we get Conor McDavid this year."

There. I did it.

It's like chicken pox, the longer you wait, the worse it will be when it does happen. Best to be done with it now.
Connor McDavid is a 2015 eligible.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:05 PM   #25
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
Connor McDavid is a 2015 eligible.
That was the joke he was making haha
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:56 AM   #26
the-rasta-masta
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Gotta say love the early scouting reports and youtube video on playmaking center Leon Draisaitl

I'm not a huge fan... he doesn't keep his feet moving and likes to coast. Pretty well built for his age which allows him to protect the puck against smaller players when he is gliding, but that won't fly in the NHL. Good vision, but he telegraphs his shot with a slow release.
the-rasta-masta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:12 PM   #27
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Craig Button on TSN:

• thinks Ekblad will go top 5
  • if there is a better player in the 2014 draft than Reinhart, Button hasn't seen him yet
  • says a very special player will have to beat out Reinhart for 1st overall or one of the other player he has watched will need to significantly improve this year
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2013, 05:34 PM   #28
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

WHL Kids on the Central Scouting Watch List AND When To See Them In Calgary:

Calgary: F Jake Virtanen - every Hitmen home game
Brandon: F Jayce Hawryluk - January 2, January 31,
Everett: F Tyler Sandhu - November 23
Kelowna: F Tyson Baillie - January 12
Kootenay: D Tanner Faith, F Sam Reinhart - October 4, November 11, December 30, March 15
Prince Albert: F Leon Draisatl - October 12, February 11
Portland: F Chase de Leo, F Dominic Turgeon - December 8
Red Deer: F Connor Bleackley, D Hadyn Fleury - September 6, September 28, December 3, February 17
Swift Current: D Brycen Martin - September 1, November 15, December 15
Vancouver: D Arwin Atwal - n/a
Victoria: D Joe Hicketts - n/a

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2013, 07:48 PM   #29
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Ok, I was bored so I decided to do some research on the consensus top 3 that FCs and Last Word on Sports agree on. This is just information I have summarized going through articles and forum posts ... feel free to criticize if you think you have better insight on the player.

Sam Reinhart
This playmaking center at this point in time is the clear favourite to go 1st overall. Going to hear a lot of comparisons to Ryan Nugent-Hopkins. Some say Reinhart's playmaking ability/passing skills are on the same level as RNH, some say a few notches below. The pros that Reinhart has right now over RNH in his draft year is that Reinhart is already listed 15lbs heavier than RNH was in his draft year and that Reinhart is more well rounded (i.e. plays a better 2 way game). The main criticism on Reinhart is his shot needs more power behind it.

William Nylander

Probably the most offensively talented forward in the draft. Getting comparisons to Patrick Kane although a few people will tell you he plays a very similar game to his father. Biggest hole in his game is defense, all though he does backcheck. Will probably be among the smallest players to go in the first round and his lack of size will probably make him a better winger at the NHL level. Usually have some concern with European players and how they will adapt with the NA game, but Nylander was playing hockey in Chicago before leaving to dominate the Swedish junior leagues at 15, so he has some exposure and prehaps has a better idea of what to expect when he comes over.

Aaron Ekblad
Will most likely be the best defenceman at the draft. Some people who follow the OHL compare him to Chris Pronger. For those asking how he compares to Seth Jones, at this point most will say there is no question Jones is on a higher tier than Ekblad. Ekblad is praised for his work in his own zone and transition play, but some question his offensive game as it hasn't improved significantly from his rookie year. If Ekblad's offensive numbers significantly improve this year while playing solid defensively, his draft stock will rise significantly.

From a Flames Perspective

All 3 players will fill organizational needs. Playmaking center, RW and a top pairing defender. All 3 have right shots so that is a bonus.

If I were the Flames I would rank them at this point
1. Reinhart
2. Ekblad
3. Nylander

Last edited by sureLoss; 07-29-2013 at 08:11 AM.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2013, 02:34 AM   #30
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

A good time for a defenceman with our first rounder. Ekblad sounds bad.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:33 AM   #31
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Corey Pronman ‏@coreypronman 41m Avg to below avg. No elite prospects at the top. RT @macLUKIN: @coreypronman How would you rank next years draft? Seems to be sub avg.

Corey Pronman ‏@coreypronman 39m They're really good but not MacKinnon/Jones level RT @pcunneen19: @coreypronman Ekblad or Reinhart not considered elite?

Corey Pronman ‏@coreypronman 38m From scouts I've talked to there's divided opinions on Ekblad as well. Several don't have him as a top 5 in 2014.

Last edited by sureLoss; 07-29-2013 at 10:36 AM.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:59 AM   #32
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
If I were the Flames I would rank them at this point
1. Reinhart
2. Ekblad
3. Nylander
Same, I couldn't pass up Reinhart but I'd give Ekblad the nod over Nylander (although the birth certificate at least adds a nice layer to Nylanders story).

Although I think the Flames are more likely to fall into Leon Draisaitl territory then the three above. A lot of legit NHL players on the roster still and I figure the Flames will more likely draft in the 5/6 range then the 1-3 range. I figure 2015 will be the Flames time to "shine" at the draft after probably jettisoning Cammy/Stajan/Stempniak/Jackman at the deadline and replacing them with inexperienced internal options we'll suck enough to get into McDavid territory in 2015.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 05:03 PM   #33
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

With the Russian factor RW Nikolay Goldobin maybe an interesting choice if the Flames pick up a mid/late 1st rounder.

He was drafted 8th overall in the KHL draft but still came to play with the Sarnia Sting.

Dobber's hockey scouting report:
http://prospects.dobbersports.com/in...kolay-goldobin
Quote:
Nikolay Goldobin entered the OHL in 2012-13 as a completely unknown after the Sarnia Sting selected him 36th overall in the 2012 CHL Import Draft after recommendation from player agent Igor Larionov. Goldobin quickly acclimated himself to North America and found his way on the ice as well showcasing extremely exciting offensive skillset. As I previously mentioned in an early season article, Goldobin is a crafty playmaker with exceptional vision and passing ability. He has an uncanny way of sending passes when the opposition least expects it, which is extremely valuable with the man advantage. The young Russian needs to substantially improve his game without the puck as he lacks urgency in executing his defensive assignments and can appear to lackadasical at times. With Sarnia graduating several dominant scorers in Reid Boucher and Charlie Sarault, look for Nikolay Goldobin to be relied on heavily for offense. Goldobin finished first in goals (30) and points (68) among all rookie OHL skaters in 2012-13 even surpassing phenom forward Connor McDavid.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2013, 07:03 PM   #34
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Nick Ritchie seems to be the large sized winger that the Flames seem to need in their system. His brother Brett Ritchie was a 2nd round pick of the Dallas Stars.

Even though Nick is listed as LW he can play RW too. Already 6'2'' 218 lbs at 17 yrs old he is probably NHL ready physically.

Scouting Report from the OHL draft:
Quote:
Scouting Report: Ritchie has the physical tools of a prototypical power forward while possessing a higher level of skill usually associated with a player with his physical stature. Overall, he might be the one player available this year that possesses all the ingredients you look for in a hockey player. He has size, skill, very good feet, some toughness and he competes at a consistent high level. He has a great stick, displaying a real soft touch which is more remarkable when you consider his physical size. He almost handles the puck and makes plays like the traditional highly skilled smaller player.

Last edited by sureLoss; 08-04-2013 at 07:07 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2013, 10:47 PM   #35
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Gotten lost in the sons of former Flames Reinhart and Nylander is that Al MacInnis' youngest son, Ryan MacInnis, is draft eligible this year...

He plays LW/C and at this point I doubt he is a lock to get drafted in the first 2 or 3 rounds. He is leaving the USNTDP to play for Kitchener this year (same junior team as his dad).

He has the height at 6'3'' but needs to fill out some as he is listed less than 170 lbs on some sites.

Someone else to keep tabs on this season.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2013, 03:49 PM   #36
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
He is leaving the USNTDP to play for Kitchener this year (same junior team as his dad).
Kind of surprised that he's doing that... like you said he's not considered a near lock to go high in the draft and join the NHL immediately (like Seth Jones was) so I find it puzzling that he's so willing to burn his NCAA eligibility.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:05 PM   #37
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Maybe I spoke too soon about MacInnis... McKeen's preliminary 2014 rankings:

http://www.mckeenshockey.com/draft-b...hl-draft-list/

Quote:
1 William Nylander Altelius C
2 Sam Reinhart C
3 Nick Ritchie LW
4 Leon Draisaitl C
5 Roland McKeown D
6 Ryan MacInnis C
7 Aaron Ekblad D
8 Jakub Vrana RW
9 Haydn Fleury D
10 Anton Karlsson LW
11 Jared McCann C
12 Michael Dal Colle LW
13 Brycen Martin D
14 Nick Schmaltz C
15 Jake Virtanen LW
16 Alexis Pepin C
17 Sam Bennett C
18 Jack Glover D
19 Joshua Jacobs D
20 Blake Clarke LW
21 Kaapo Kahkonen G
22 Sonny Milano C
23 Adrian Kempe C
24 Alex Tuch C
25 Mason McDonald G
26 Jacob Middleton D
27 Oskar Lindblom RW
28 Kasperi Kapanen LW
29 Joshua Ho-Sang C
30 Matt Schmalz LW

Last edited by sureLoss; 08-06-2013 at 06:08 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2013, 06:06 PM   #38
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

It might be time to draft another ex Flames' kid.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:33 PM   #39
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

By all reports, Ekblad has been amazing at the U18s.

I know GMs have become weary of drafting defencemen so high, but I'd be pretty upset if we passed on him for anyone but Reinhart.

Last edited by Ashasx; 08-07-2013 at 08:42 PM.
Ashasx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:29 PM   #40
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
By all reports, Ekblad has been amazing at the U18s.

I know GMs have become weary of drafting defencemen so high, but I'd be pretty upset if we passed on him for anyone but Reinhart.
I am pretty high on Ekblad myself, but the preliminary reports are that some scouts don't think he is a top 5 pick. I am not sure that is because they think there are players with higher potential then him or they see holes in his game, or maybe both. Whatever the case, I hope Ekblad proves his doubters wrong with a great season and force the Flames to rank him high.

I haven't looked too deep into the defensmen besides Ekblad and McKeown but it feels like this year is pretty thin for dmen compared to the last 3 years. FCAV or Commandant care to comment?

In my mind this draft is pretty deep on C, LW, and C/LWs.
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post: