Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2011, 10:06 AM   #361
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFireInside View Post
Pretty big addition over the last couple days.

For me most notably community season 1, and a bunch of the Friday the 13th movies!

http://app.whatsnewonnetflix.com/
That website is great. What's huge for my family is all of the Sesame Streets on there now. Even the season from 2010.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:14 AM   #362
Prototype

Exp:

That's not much of a "most notably" considering what they've added.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:21 AM   #363
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

They have added Young Sherlock Holmes. I know what I'm doing after the Flames game.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:39 AM   #364
AFireInside
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prototype View Post
That's not much of a "most notably" considering what they've added.
The 10 newest on the list weren't there when I posted. Started with beautician and the beast. Soo as I said "FOR ME, most notably friday the 13th and season 1 of community".

As of my first post they also added ladybugs, and get rich or die tryin.. Better?

Adding Eddie murphy raw, the curious case of benjamin burton are great additions too. Some of the new additions since my original post like hustle and flow, are good as well.

Selection is slowly getting better...
AFireInside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 03:41 PM   #365
Prototype

Exp:

That's fair, they've been adding a lot today.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:45 PM   #366
BigBrodieFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am currently watching Lost through Netflix. I can't believe I never watched that show in the first place. For $9.99 a month, I am saving a ton of money on renting all of the DVDs.

I can watch on my laptop, or on the Wii hooked to my TV and my kids watch from their XBOX 360s on their tvs. We can all watch what we want and I get to see everything they choose AND at what times they watched! It's the greatest invention.. ever.
BigBrodieFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 05:06 PM   #367
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrodieFan View Post
I am currently watching Lost through Netflix. I can't believe I never watched that show in the first place. For $9.99 a month, I am saving a ton of money on renting all of the DVDs.
Glad to hear you get to watch Lost on your Netflix, Mr. Kansas. Not available here in Canada (yet?).

I agree with you though - it is a good show. My wife borrowed season one from a friend and I didn't think I'd like it, but it is good entertainment. Even after buying all of the series, I still think that it was good value. On Netflix it would be ever more so.

We're currently working our way through Mad Men - starting season 2 tonight. Although renting/borrowing/buying DVDs isn't really a hardship, being able to do it all from the remote is really nice.

Last edited by Jimmy Stang; 03-02-2011 at 05:12 PM.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 05:22 PM   #368
BigBrodieFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
Glad to hear you get to watch Lost on your Netflix, Mrs.Kansas. Not available here in Canada (yet?).

I agree with you though - it is a good show. My wife borrowed season one from a friend and I didn't think I'd like it, but it is good entertainment. Even after buying all of the series, I still think that it was good value. On Netflix it would be ever more so.

We're currently working our way through Mad Men - starting season 2 tonight. Although renting/borrowing/buying DVDs isn't really a hardship, being able to do it all from the remote is really nice.
FYP

I didn't know there was a difference between Canadian and American Netflix, I just told my dad to get it and told him all about watching Lost. Ooops. I guess I should have researched it more.
BigBrodieFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigBrodieFan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2011, 05:46 PM   #369
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrodieFan View Post
FYP

I didn't know there was a difference between Canadian and American Netflix, I just told my dad to get it and told him all about watching Lost. Ooops. I guess I should have researched it more.
My apologies! I think that I even knew that already.

The Canadian version is definitely improving. Over the last few days they have added a tonne of stuff, and I think that it will continue to improve as more distributors get on board. Even with the limited (by comparison) selection in Canada, I have made a shortlist of things that I want to watch and I haven't even been able to make a dent in it.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:14 PM   #370
Finny61
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I have never taken the time to look up Netflix, now that I have, it looks great. My only question is if I'm constantly watching stuff on Netflix then am I not racking up some data from the internet provider? I'm not much of a tech guru but I'm just wondering if there are limitations with how much I could use Netflix.

Real lack of newer movies but it has some tv shows I'd love to watch like Mad Men.
Finny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 06:28 PM   #371
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finny61 View Post
I have never taken the time to look up Netflix, now that I have, it looks great. My only question is if I'm constantly watching stuff on Netflix then am I not racking up some data from the internet provider? I'm not much of a tech guru but I'm just wondering if there are limitations with how much I could use Netflix.

Real lack of newer movies but it has some tv shows I'd love to watch like Mad Men.
There's actually a pretty good discussion about "usage based billing" over at this thread:

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=100112

Shaw has shelved their plans for the time being because of the customer backlash, but we certainly haven't seen the end of the issue. At the moment, if you're on Shaw at least, you won't be charged extra for going over your monthly limit.

I have read that an hour of HD runs at about 2 gigs, so a movie would probably be at around 3 gigs. There is an option to disable HD streaming, which reduces the amount of bandwidth used and, on my TV at least, the difference isn't noticeable. It is better quality than SD cable, and in the same ballpark as a SD DVD upsampled.

I'd suggest giving it a try (I believe that your first month is free) and then seeing if there's enough on there to sustain your interest.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:12 PM   #372
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFireInside View Post
The 10 newest on the list weren't there when I posted. Started with beautician and the beast. Soo as I said "FOR ME, most notably friday the 13th and season 1 of community"..
You know how I know you're gay... you have Netflix to watch Beautician and the Beast.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2011, 07:59 PM   #373
Jagger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Awesome that they added Community. Watched the Modern Warfare episode last night and it's fantastic. So many action movie references. If you haven't watched this show yet give it a try.

Noticed that they've added movies like Catch Me if you can, Minority Report, True Grit (the original classic). The African Queen, Barbarella, Death at a Funeral to name just a few.

The selection is definitely getting much better.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:02 PM   #374
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have trouble keeping up with the shows and movies I record now, so I doubt Netflix should be on my agenda but my Sony TV says Netflix Coming Soon, so I want it.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:08 PM   #375
AFireInside
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
You know how I know you're gay... you have Netflix to watch Beautician and the Beast.
Know how I know you're gay?.... I've met you...

Seriously though, that's a sick movie

Kidding of course, I can say I have never and will never see that movie, it was on the top of the list when I posted thought!!
AFireInside is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AFireInside For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2011, 07:46 AM   #376
Prototype

Exp:

Another huge update, including Firefly, Arrested Development, Better Off Ted, Angel and some classic movies like the original Fly, Planet Of The Apes, and a selection of Marlyn Monroe films.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:23 AM   #377
gottabekd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Wow, amazing! Time to rewatch Arrested Development.
gottabekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:42 AM   #378
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nice - I hope that these updates will continue at this pace for a while. Arrested Development will probably be my next undertaking after I finish Mad Men.

Hopefully this is a sign that the Canadian rights holders of this content are enlightening themselves to digital distribution. We can hope that this is the beginning of things opening up in Canada.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:06 AM   #379
Jagger
First Line Centre

Exp:

There's no question anymore that Netflix Canada is worth the money. I believe that it always was but now that can be no doubt.

Like Jimmy said I hope these updates keep coming at this rate.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:19 PM   #380
Roast Beef
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

All of these awesome TV shows showing up on Netflix is making my torrented avi collection obsolete. I'm glad they are finally figuring it out.
Roast Beef is offline   Reply With Quote