Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2019, 10:56 PM   #1861
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I think it’s also worth remembering that eventually things are going to turn downwards for the Marvel run. You can’t pump out the same thing over and over again forever, eventually you run out of material people are interested in.

It’s not if, it’s when, and I could see this being the start of that, but I also don’t see anything that could draw away audience attention, so who knows.
I definitely think there will be a lull, and this could well be the beginning of that, but if they're smart, and I think they are, they're using this phase to build anticipation of their next phase.

Phase 1 was an unprecedented film experiment and it blew everything away, you're right that there will be a downturn, but as I said, I'd expect them to use it to play an even longer game.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2019, 11:03 PM   #1862
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Comic books have been going strong for a long ass time pumping out similar stories. Action movies, heroic movies, etc have been killing it at the box office forever.

Disney’s Marvel properties may not continue to obliterate the competition but I find it hard to believe there’s some major drop off coming. They have an almost endless supply of source material. And when superheroes have a downward trend, there’s more than enough material that can incorporate other genres based off Marvel properties that Disney should be able to continue to cash in.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2019, 12:07 AM   #1863
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Is Eternals going to be a film or show?

I don't care for the marvel shows.
Except for punisher
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stang For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2019, 03:28 PM   #1864
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Ya I wouldn't be surprised to see them lean heavier into some off the cuff stuff, things like Eternals and less known story lines. Go a bit underground for a while, build up the anticipation before hitting us with another Infinity Stones esque arc.
Old 08-28-2019, 07:08 AM   #1865
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I got the DC Universe App yesterday and I must say it's pretty great. It has a huge selection of comics, TV shows and movies. I already own about 80% of the movies but the vast selection of TV Shows is great. Plus it has episodes of Young Justice out way before they are shown on TV and episodes of Swamp Thing are already out. Disney + is probably the better deal but this has some cool things too. I hope it comes out in Canada soon, I've been using my work computer with a US IP address to get it.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 10:04 AM   #1866
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1166742248949551104

:d
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2019, 11:05 AM   #1867
TheyCallMeBruce
Likes Cartoons

Exp:

Interesting. Further information on how the whole Sony and Marvel deal played out.

TheyCallMeBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 11:58 AM   #1868
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

You say played out like it's over.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2019, 01:01 PM   #1869
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Any cliffs notes on that Spidey video?

The Joker trailer has me creeped out, a little scared to watch it, that is about the perfect tone that should be set for the character.

Last edited by GreenLantern; 08-28-2019 at 01:04 PM.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 10:31 AM   #1870
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

IT director confirms his next movie is Flash....What are the odds he stays on as director and this movie gets made?

https://www.fandango.com/movie-news/..._News_TheFlash
Old 08-29-2019, 11:33 AM   #1871
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 06:04 PM   #1872
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

TheyCallMeBruce, I had no idea that Tim Rothman was in charge of development over at Sony now. It's no coincidence that Fox properties got better after his departure. I'm not sure why certain people are given chance after chance in this industry, at a very high level.
Old 08-29-2019, 06:54 PM   #1873
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Watched Dark Phoenix finally. While it wasn't great, it wasn't nearly as bad as people made it out to be. If you're a fan of the comics/characters I think it's enjoyable.

It's not as good as DOFP but would be on par with Apocalypse, maybe a bit better. The final battle was a lot of fun seeing what the our favourite mutants would do if they had to really use their powers. Half way through I thought that Nightcrawler was going to be wasted in these films but they redeemed him at the end.

That said, Sophie Turner isn't ready to lead a movie. She wasn't great.

Last edited by KTrain; 08-29-2019 at 06:57 PM.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 10:12 AM   #1874
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some images from the Birds of Prey trailer that will play before IT2

Spoiler!

Last edited by Nadal Fan; 08-30-2019 at 10:43 AM.
Old 08-30-2019, 10:57 AM   #1875
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
Some images from the Birds of Prey trailer that will play before IT2

Spoiler!
The Jared Leto Joker is officially done in the DCEU? His absence will definitely add to Robbie's Harley Quinn.

Although I know it's probably best to keep Joaquin phoenix and his Joker separate from the DCEU, seeing Joaquin phoenix and Morgot Robbie on screen together would be a treat.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 11:01 AM   #1876
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
TheyCallMeBruce, I had no idea that Tim Rothman was in charge of development over at Sony now. It's no coincidence that Fox properties got better after his departure. I'm not sure why certain people are given chance after chance in this industry, at a very high level.
Rothman has a pretty long resume of critically acclaimed movies.

A lot of the the X-men series' failures were also squarely on the shoulders of Bryan Singer. They gave him a pretty long leash after the first two and he drove it into the ground.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 11:45 AM   #1877
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
The Jared Leto Joker is officially done in the DCEU? His absence will definitely add to Robbie's Harley Quinn.

Although I know it's probably best to keep Joaquin phoenix and his Joker separate from the DCEU, seeing Joaquin phoenix and Morgot Robbie on screen together would be a treat.
To be honest I don't know and I don't think that WB even knows lol if Leto is done. Leto has recently said he wants to return to the role and there was rumor's of a potential cameo in BOP from Joker but I'm not sure if it's a Shazam headless scenario if he appears at all.

This film certainly has the same look and vibe as Suicide Squad did.
Old 08-30-2019, 05:06 PM   #1878
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just finished X-Men: Dark Phoenix. I have been as big of an X-Men fan as I know my whole life. From the cartoon to the movies. Usually I'm pretty on board with how most people feel about the series and it's variance. I do think DOFP is one of the best sci-fi movies ever, regardless of comic-book origins. And that Apocalypse was a pretty large step backward.

I have to say though I really enjoyed most of Dark Phoenix. The beginning was pretty rough with some very terrible dialogue an a pretty slow build up. Yes, there are similar elements to Last Stand, but that's basically unavoidable. I did find myself fading during scenes with Jean, but I thought all the action set pieces were very well done, and pretty well every scene that Fassbender was in was hard not to pay attention to. I think the problems really were rooted in some poor dialogue, which I think can be a problem when you have writer/directors. Not letting people deviate or hearing what sounds weird or on the nose.

I think it was a pretty good step better than Apocalypse, and anyone who thinks The Last Stand is even remotely close is just hating. Or needs to suffer the pain of watching that movie again.

My spoilery thoughts:

Spoiler!

Anyways, I'm sure there's more. Either way I enjoyed it more than I thought based on the reviews. Seems like most people had their minds made up about it before it came out. Kind of kept me away from seeing it in theatres, which I'm kind of choked I didn't because I imagine parts would have looked great on the big screen.
Old 08-31-2019, 08:03 AM   #1879
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://heroichollywood.com/joaquin-...rst-reactions/

First reviews for Joker from Venice film festival call the movie masterful......nope not excited for this at all
Old 08-31-2019, 06:08 PM   #1880
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Whats it rated? Wonder if appropriate for 10 year old
stang is offline   Reply With Quote