Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-20-2019, 07:43 PM   #1781
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

FU Sony. I guess Spider-man will suck again. Oh well at least we got two good spidey films.
Old 08-20-2019, 09:05 PM   #1782
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

There is no way the current iteration of Spider-Man can be uncoupled from the MCU, he's too ingrained. Hopefully cooler heads prevail.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 09:11 PM   #1783
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sony just wants to get bought by Disney.
Old 08-20-2019, 09:43 PM   #1784
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2019, 02:06 AM   #1785
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Marvel Allowed Weekend and Holiday Visitation With Tom Holland

Quote:
“We’ve raised the boy, so we deserve to be a part of his life,” Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige said, according to those familiar with the situation. “This change is going to be hard enough for Tom and he shouldn’t have all communication with us cut off. I’m happy we were able to arrange weekends and holidays, and hope that things can remain civil moving forward — for his sake.”
Old 08-21-2019, 07:54 AM   #1786
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm sure Disney and Sony will work something out, BUT if they don't it's not all bad news, I mean we can get a Spider-Man, Venom and Carnage movie now. I love the MCU, but Disney isn't the only studio that can produce good superhero movies. Sony has done a good job in the past (Spiderverse came out last year) and will continue to do a good job.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 09:05 AM   #1787
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
I'm sure Disney and Sony will work something out, BUT if they don't it's not all bad news, I mean we can get a Spider-Man, Venom and Carnage movie now. I love the MCU, but Disney isn't the only studio that can produce good superhero movies. Sony has done a good job in the past (Spiderverse came out last year) and will continue to do a good job.
Actually, by and large the evidence appears to indicate that yes....yes they are.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 09:33 AM   #1788
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Actually, by and large the evidence appears to indicate that yes....yes they are.
Disney and the MCU make great movies no question, but we need variety and competition to keep things interesting. When both studios are firing, they push each other to higher heights and we as fans win. If Sony stars their own universe of Spider-Man films that just means we get even more superhero movies. WB has hit their stride and looks to be in great shape going forward. The next 5 films from each studio look great and they give us 10 totally different and unique films.

WB - Joker, Suicide Squad 2, The Batman, Birds of Prey, Wonder Woman 84.

MCU - Shang Chi, Eternals, Black Widow, Thor 4, Dr. Strange 2
Old 08-21-2019, 09:46 AM   #1789
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
Disney and the MCU make great movies no question, but we need variety and competition to keep things interesting. When both studios are firing, they push each other to higher heights and we as fans win. If Sony stars their own universe of Spider-Man films that just means we get even more superhero movies. WB has hit their stride and looks to be in great shape going forward. The next 5 films from each studio look great and they give us 10 totally different and unique films.

WB - Joker, Suicide Squad 2, The Batman, Birds of Prey, Wonder Woman 84.

MCU - Shang Chi, Eternals, Black Widow, Thor 4, Dr. Strange 2
I agree that we as fans would benefit with more competition between both studios but you must admit that at the moment the House of Mouse is kicking WB's teeth in.

There is hope. No question, Joker is a wildcard, SS2 with James Gunn has hope, Batman could be good but there is a long and storied history of Batman movies sucking long and sucking hard, with a few very notable exceptions. They're either amazing or complete crap. Very little middle ground.

I know nothing of, nor care, about Birds of Prey and I'm frankly expecting little to nothing from WW2 considering that I look about at the people overawed by Wonder Woman and wonder what they're talking about. It was a pedestrian movie. It was the best of a very, very bad group of movies.

MCU? I know nothing about Eternals or Shang-Chi, I think the Black Widow story could be cool, I love some Cold War Soviet stories, Thor has been killing it and Waititi is a magician. That man could Direct a one-man puppet show and it would be amazing and Bumblebee Cummerbund will make Dr. Strange worth seeing.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 08-21-2019, 09:46 AM   #1790
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sony needs to send Spidey to the DC Universe. Leader of the New Teen Titans! are they allowed to do that?

Spidey swinging around Gotham on patrol with Robin and Nightwing would be awesome!
Old 08-21-2019, 11:27 AM   #1791
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I agree that we as fans would benefit with more competition between both studios but you must admit that at the moment the House of Mouse is kicking WB's teeth in.

There is hope. No question, Joker is a wildcard, SS2 with James Gunn has hope, Batman could be good but there is a long and storied history of Batman movies sucking long and sucking hard, with a few very notable exceptions. They're either amazing or complete crap. Very little middle ground.

I know nothing of, nor care, about Birds of Prey and I'm frankly expecting little to nothing from WW2 considering that I look about at the people overawed by Wonder Woman and wonder what they're talking about. It was a pedestrian movie. It was the best of a very, very bad group of movies.

MCU? I know nothing about Eternals or Shang-Chi, I think the Black Widow story could be cool, I love some Cold War Soviet stories, Thor has been killing it and Waititi is a magician. That man could Direct a one-man puppet show and it would be amazing and Bumblebee Cummerbund will make Dr. Strange worth seeing.
Ya absolutely MCU is absolutely crushing DCEU at the moment but to be fair it's crushing absolutely everything else including Star Wars at the moment as well. Taking MCU out of the equation, the DCEU is actually doing better than a lot of other franchises. I'd say it's in better shape than Star Trek, Harry Potter, Fast and Furious, Monsterverse, Godzilla verse and a host of other movie universes. Even compared to Star Wars you would have to say the gap is a lot closer than 3 years ago. Out of the next 5 DC films, 3 of them will either hit a billion or come really close, besides the MCU is there any other franchise you could say that about?

Speaking about Spider-Man and Teen Titans, who else remembers when he beat up Superboy?

Spoiler!
Old 08-21-2019, 11:55 AM   #1792
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

DC films are in "better shape" than Fast and the Furious or Harry Potter movies? Not sure how you can quantify that. Hell, I'm not sure there is even a DC movie universe, it's such a mess.

Fast and the Furious movies are basically garbage but they're massive successes. The height of Harry Potter might be over but the Fantastic Beasts series is out and doing well. DC just has more intellectual property so they can throw more stuff and see what sticks. In that case I suppose they're in better shape, I guess.

Disney and Marvel studios created a huge cinematic universe, the first of its kind. DC tried to follow but didn't have the foundation or creative talent to pull it off. Marvel had five full movies before teaming anyone up, it was an insane idea at the time. DC did one movie them smashed Batman and Superman together before rushing a Justice League film. Only one of those first five movies was any good, Wonder Woman. Suicide Squad was terrible and I'm not sure if it even fits into their universe, does it? Who cares mostly.

Aren't Superman being or already re-cast? That doesn't seem in good shape. It took Robert Downy JR eleven appearances to check out as Iron Man. Did Ben even make it three as Batman?

They seem as inept with IP as Sony does with Spider-Man
The Following User Says Thank You to Rando For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2019, 11:58 AM   #1793
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

For the life of me I'll never figure out how DC screwed up Justice League. That should have been a sure thing, and now who knows when another one will see the light of day. Same with Superman for that matter, Marvel can make fricken Ant-Man work, yet DC/Warner's can't figure out Superman... Unbelievable.

Then are they even doing anything with most of their major heroes (Superman, Flash, Green Lantern). To me seems like most franchises are in permanent purgatory and who knows if/when any movies will see the light of day?

DC is still a complete and utter mess, a couple semi-hits really amounts to nothing, especially when the connection they had has basically been shattered. They're more like the Universal Monsters Universe than anything else, tried to world build and failed spectacularly.
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to trackercowe For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2019, 12:13 PM   #1794
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackercowe View Post
For the life of me I'll never figure out how DC screwed up Justice League. That should have been a sure thing, and now who knows when another one will see the light of day. Same with Superman for that matter, Marvel can make fricken Ant-Man work, yet DC/Warner's can't figure out Superman... Unbelievable.

Then are they even doing anything with most of their major heroes (Superman, Flash, Green Lantern). To me seems like most franchises are in permanent purgatory and who knows if/when any movies will see the light of day?

DC is still a complete and utter mess, a couple semi-hits really amounts to nothing, especially when the connection they had has basically been shattered. They're more like the Universal Monsters Universe than anything else, tried to world build and failed spectacularly.
Not sure how you can qualify WW and Aquaman as "semi-hits". They managed to turn a laughing stock of a character in Aquaman into a billion dollar film. Wonder Woman's budget was less than $150 million, so it was a huge success with $820 million at the box office.

Both the Dark Knight and the Dark Knight rises made over 1 billion too. Suicide Squad also outperformed Ant-man.

The major problem with the DCEU was the "Snyder-verse" and then having the studios getting involved, leaving a jumbled mess. Snyder is gone from the DCEU now, and the non-Snyder movies have all been great.

You could qualify Shazam as a "semi-hit" based on box office performance, but this was a great superhero film.

If you want to look at actual quality of film-making, the two best superhero movies are "Logan" and the "Dark Knight", with both receiving critical acclaim outside the genre. The new Joker film is getting talk of being in that category too.

What the DC failed miserably at was making a cohesive universe, and Marvel is the only one to pull that off. I disagree that a movie like Justice League is easy to pull off. It's actually been nearly impossible for the studios to pull off successful team-up movies, with Marvel being the first to do so with the Avengers.

Marvel is what it is, and I quite enjoy many of the films. However, I quite like the variety that the other studios are providing.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 12:21 PM   #1795
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Are you unaware of the Batman trilogy directed by Christopher Nolan?
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 12:23 PM   #1796
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rando View Post
Fast and the Furious movies are basically garbage but they're massive successes. The height of Harry Potter might be over but the Fantastic Beasts series is out and doing well. DC just has more intellectual property so they can throw more stuff and see what sticks. In that case I suppose they're in better shape, I guess.
I would argue that garbage is garbage. Garbage doesn't have success. Just because it isn't up your alley doesn't make it garbage.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2019, 12:27 PM   #1797
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
I would argue that garbage is garbage. Garbage doesn't have success. Just because it isn't up your alley doesn't make it garbage.
They're garbage. Some people like garbage. It's okay.
Old 08-21-2019, 01:09 PM   #1798
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Are you unaware of the Batman trilogy directed by Christopher Nolan?
Quote:
The Nolan Trilogy is an exception, it was excellent. I dont recall seeing any superheroes in it though...

As to your second point, lots of terrible movies make money, just because they do doesnt make them great.

Old 08-21-2019, 01:57 PM   #1799
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I would argue that garbage is garbage. Garbage doesn't have success.
Counterpoint: the Transformers movies. The Twilight films. Everything starring the Wayans brothers.

... Wait, why am I giving examples; isn't this just obviously wrong?
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 02:33 PM   #1800
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackercowe View Post

They let overrated Joss Whedon do cuts to it after Snyder's daughter committed suicide. And who cares about the universe. Stand alone movies are fine.