Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-18-2012, 11:11 AM   #41
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Yeller View Post
I can go weeks without seeing one and then see a two in a day... usually it's more of two dominant males butting heads that sounds worse than it actually is.

Why?
i was looking at this thread and i just became curious.

i have no real thoughts, other than if you took the number of attacks and diveded them by the number of dogs the number is likely small; however, the problem is when the dogs attack people for no apparent reason and people become permanently disfigured.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:12 AM   #42
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Well it's a popular topic in the media right now because of the number and severity of some recent attacks. People also use mega-threads to avoid cluttering the forum with repeated threads on one issue to keep the discussion in one place, which is less confusing. That's more the spirit in which I started this thread.
Do you see many threads popping up on this topic? Like important science perhaps? Or maybe politics? Weather?

The on-going dog attack mega thread is definitely going to take eyes away from my upcoming 'super-duper all encompassing continued yearly edition now 6 months away from Oscar buzz 2013 edition ft. Larry Day' thread.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daradon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2012, 11:16 AM   #43
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
My intent is for Calgary/Alberta, but I don't want to dictate how other people choose to use (or not) the thread. I'm sure there is an attack daily somewhere in the world, but I doubt anybody (myself included) would care enough to search it out and post it.

TBQH, I haven't even been searching for dog biting issues. I read the Calgary Herald on my phone and almost daily a top story has been about dog attacks, so it seemed like a relevant discussion.
Thanks, I was confused by your links reporting attacks in St. Paul, Fort Saskatchewan, & Chestermere.
Frank MetaMusil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:17 AM   #44
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank MetaMusil View Post
Thanks, I was confused by your links reporting attacks in St. Paul, Fort Saskatchewan, & Chestermere.

I know it's really popular right now to dump on the OP but Chestermere? Really? Really?
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2012, 11:23 AM   #45
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daradon View Post
Do you see many threads popping up on this topic? Like important science perhaps? Or maybe politics? Weather?

The on-going dog attack mega thread is definitely going to take eyes away from my upcoming 'super-duper all encompassing continued yearly edition now 6 months away from Oscar buzz 2013 edition ft. Larry Day' thread.
I gave a good explanation, so why are you asking the same question over again?
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:30 AM   #46
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I know it's really popular right now to dump on the OP but Chestermere? Really? Really?
Doesn't Chestermere have it's own animal control bylaw? I don't see the connection between Calgary upping their fines to 10k and dog attacks in other cities/towns.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:37 AM   #47
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Doesn't Chestermere have it's own animal control bylaw? I don't see the connection between Calgary upping their fines to 10k and dog attacks in other cities/towns.
So you don't see how it is misleading to compare Chestermere with St Paul and Ft Sask?
Old 06-18-2012, 11:37 AM   #48
longsuffering
First Line Centre

Exp:

I can picture the OP running and screaming, flailing his arms whenever he encounters a.dog. Shame it sounds like he's teaching his kids the same thing.
longsuffering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:39 AM   #49
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
I see your confusion. That fine increase as a dedicated topic was actually in a different thread. This thread is a consolidation of the general discussion of dog attacks including specific incidences when appropriate. Your confusion actually reinforces the logic behind the mega-thread, though...to keep it all under one roof, so to speak.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:50 AM   #50
NuclearPizzaMan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

everybody panic!

http://www.calgary.ca/CSPS/ABS/Docum...0Incidents.pdf
NuclearPizzaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to NuclearPizzaMan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2012, 11:51 AM   #51
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Quote:
So you don't see how it is misleading to compare Chestermere with St Paul and Ft Sask?
I guess technically it's part of the Calgary Region, fair enough.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:54 AM   #52
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuclearPizzaMan View Post
Well this doesn't jive with this thread at all!

Not to mention my neighbour's shi-tzu has been staring me down for 5 days now from their picture window and I'm pretty sure shi-tzu is about to go down.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:54 AM   #53
shane_c
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think who is at fault really depends on the situation. Sure there are dogs out there who are nasty and aggressive for one reason or another. There are also dogs out there who, despite it being totally out of character, will snap when approached in what they deem to be a threatening manner. Parents should teach their children the proper way to approach an animal. How would you like it if a total stranger came up to you and pulled your hair or grabbed hold of your face or ear? Would you push them off you or hit them?

Something we noticed when we lived in Calgary was that the dogs there seemed a lot more stressed out. Maybe it's the constant hum of a big city or the small yards but whatever it is we've noticed a huge difference compared to the general demeanor of the dogs back east. Sure there are nasty ones here too but we've had far fewer negative run ins than we did in Calgary.

When we did live there our puppy and my partner were both attacked by an off leash german shepherd. This was a huge beef of ours how people just let their dogs off leash when walking around the subdivision or at any green space no matter the size, or would leave their front doors wide open in the summer and we'd be walking by and a dog would come bolting out of the house after us. And anytime I would tell the owner to leash their dog I would be told to F*** off.

To make things worse dealing with the by-law officials was a waste of time. After they were attacked we were told that the attacking dogs owner technically does not have to pay our vet bills (thankfully they did for fear of being sued and it was over $2000). We were also told by the by-law officer that "they don't want to charge the other person with too many offenses (even though they were guilty of them) because if they dispute anything then it would have to go to court". In the end I believe she was only charged with having a dog off leash and nothing for the attack on our puppy or my partner.

Last edited by shane_c; 06-18-2012 at 11:56 AM.
shane_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:58 AM   #54
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

This thread reminds me of every interaction I've ever had with a "dog person". (I figure that is a nice, neutral, hyperbole free intro that should lead to some rational and sensical responses)

Usually goes

"hey cecil, getting lonely at your place still being single?"

"nah, maybe I'll just get a pet, who needs a g/f"

"you mean a dog?"

"No I prefere cats. Plus I'm in a condo so having a dog is a bit of a..."

(interupts) "WHY DO YOU HATE DOGS?"

"I don't hate dogs, I quite like dogs. I just prefer cats. you know, less work and responsibility, it just makes more sense for a guy..."

(interupts again) "pfft. Cat people. You can always tell because they hate dogs and just can't appreciate the fact that dogs are soooo much better. They love you way more you know."

"yeah that's nice, but a dog seems like more responsibility than i'm prepared to give right now"

"WHY DO YOU HATE DOGS?"

I'm not saying that Silver doesn't have any bias, but I see no reason why we can't have a discussion about the increase in dog attacks.

What's the reason? Do more people in the city have dogs than before? Is it the urbanization? Does a more rural population have less issues? Is it more irresponsible owners? Is it the breeds that people are choosing?

Or maybe it is just increased media focus? (you know how the liberal media twists things to suit their agenda! Damn dog haters)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2012, 12:04 PM   #55
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

^^^

You and Sliver are missing the point.

If he had been far less alarmist, not given the thread a ridiculous title, and based on NuclearPizzaMan's latest contribution, not overstated the stats at all, then yes sure, we could have a regular discussion. If he had made a reasoned argument with a possibility of at least pretending at looking at both sides maybe it would have picked up discussion.

But ridiculous threads will get ridiculous responses. Has nothing to do with cats v dogs as you put it.
Old 06-18-2012, 12:09 PM   #56
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
^^^

You and Sliver are missing the point.

If he had been far less alarmist, not given the thread a ridiculous title, and based on NuclearPizzaMan's latest contribution, not overstated the stats at all, then yes sure, we could have a regular discussion. If he had made a reasoned argument with a possibility of at least pretending at looking at both sides maybe it would have picked up discussion.

But ridiculous threads will get ridiculous responses. Has nothing to do with cats v dogs as you put it.

Ok you definitely missed the point of my post.

All I said was that dog people are already defensive at the best of times. You so much mention that your little puppy isn't the love of your life and pretty soon you're a heartless ####### that must eat the hearts of newborn pups. (hyperbole alert!)

As such, for Silver to start a thread with a anti-dog bias, it should be expected that even if there is some good discussion buried in there somewhere, it likely isn't going to happen.

Think of it like an Iggy thread. If you start it and say that he's a bum and we need to trade him you'll get demolished. But if you start one (or contribute to the other 250 of them) with a logical and respectful opinion on why it makes sense for the Flames to move him, you'll probably get a large portion, perhaps even a majority of Flames fans, agreeing with you.
Old 06-18-2012, 12:11 PM   #57
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

I don't think I did...

All people are defensive at the best of times.

As for the rest, isn't that what I said?
Old 06-18-2012, 12:13 PM   #58
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
I don't think I did...

All people are defensive at the best of times.

As for the rest, isn't that what I said?
My post had nothing to do with dogs vs cats. EDIT: wait, now I'm confused, were you saying my post was about cats vs dogs? I don't even know anymore.

Either way we agree, less bias and thsi thread would have gone much better. And I mean bias from both sides, not just Silver's.

The rest was pretty close. The problem is that even if he was rational I don't think this thread would have gone well.

Again with the Iggy analogy, you can be the most level headed poster of all time and you'd still get people posting stuff like "and here we go with the Iggy bashing".
Old 06-18-2012, 12:15 PM   #59
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

So even though our population has almost doubled from 1985 to 2010, dog incidents are down over 75% in that same time frame according to the city of Calgary.

Tune into the next Sliver thread "Ongoing City of Calgary dogs now intimidating public into silence Mega-Thread".
Old Yeller is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Old Yeller For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2012, 12:17 PM   #60
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Quote:
Again with the Iggy analogy, you can be the most level headed poster of all time and you'd still get people posting stuff like "and here we go with the Iggy bashing".
Funny you use the Iginla analogy - http://iginla.ca/dogbite.html

The Following User Says Thank You to Frank MetaMusil For This Useful Post:

Tags
dog attack puppy barking