Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-06-2019, 05:54 PM   #1401
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

Plus Trafford has zero pace.

Good win, sloppy at the back made it closer than it should have been.

Blasco should have been off at the end for a second yellow. Can’t kick a player while he’s on the ground.

Whitecaps on Wednesday!
The Following User Says Thank You to M*A*S*H 4077 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2019, 06:10 PM   #1402
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Looking at the seating chart, when you factor in the sponsor, comped, walk up/last minute purchases I bet this is the first game we see that looks like a virtual sell out.

Really looking forward to what Spruce Meadows looks like full. Our crowds at 50% capacity destroy every other crowd in the league, imo. Just imagine close to 6000 fans with our atmosphere, it's going to be insane.
Old 07-06-2019, 06:11 PM   #1403
jayswin

Exp:

AND, they've clearly taken the criticism and lack of high end seat sales to heart and look they're going to rectify it as much as they can this year without pissing off the season tickets holders, and then likely fix it next year.

I think we might be seeing the birth of the first ever successful soccer team in Calgary!!
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2019, 07:08 AM   #1404
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

If this team succeeds off the field (and it looks like it's going that direction in the long-term), one of the things I'm REALLY looking forward to is the new 12,000 seat stadium that are in Spruce Meadow's long-term plans. What a milestone that would be for this city.
Old 07-07-2019, 08:38 AM   #1405
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Random question. What is up with that beautiful, grandiose wood grandstand behind the one goal, with crappier metal bleachers in front of it?

Did they build that and then realize it was too far back?
That stand is still under construction. Supposed to be finished in August.

The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2019, 08:39 AM   #1406
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

1 game. Top of the table again. Just another day at the office.

Time for the first MLS scalp...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2019, 08:51 AM   #1407
Howie_16
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
If this team succeeds off the field (and it looks like it's going that direction in the long-term), one of the things I'm REALLY looking forward to is the new 12,000 seat stadium that are in Spruce Meadow's long-term plans. What a milestone that would be for this city.
I think that would require the league to succeed as well. Calgary and Halifax seem to be doing great. Edmonton, Hamilton, Winnipeg and Victoria look to be OK for now. York 9 not so much.

Not sure what the Ottawa Fury situation is like, and it sounds like they are resistant to leave the USL, but perhaps the exchange rate may force them to reconsider? Shermanator, could you weigh in here?

Growth wise, I saw something on Twitter about an expansion annoucement to add teams in Montreal & Quebec City happening at the end of May, but that didn't happen. I also see the possibility of maybe adding Kelowna, Regina/Saskatoon, couple of Ontario teams in places like London & Kitchener, Quebec City, Moncton/Saint John and St. John's. Just speculation of course, but with temporary stand structures added to existing smaller stadiums, I do think expansion could work. Biggest challenges are always going to be geography and weather, but this league just might have some staying power leading up and following Canada's co-hosting of the 2026 World Cup.
Old 07-07-2019, 09:18 AM   #1408
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pacific looks to be all in with the announcement that they're building a new indoor fieldhouse. Forge, Valour and Halifax are all drawing well and Edmonton's owner is too stubborn to bail on this project after 9 years. I think York is the only real question mark right now, but their ownership has the money to see this through if they can build up a fanbase.

For what it's worth, the CPL is drawing more fans on average (4835) than USL Championship (4399).

I don't think the Ottawa Fury will ever join the CPL. That relationship is beyond repair after the Fury refused to go to CPL and CONCACAF pulled their sanctioning. CPL wants an Ottawa club but it would have to be a new one. As long as Julian de Guzman is in charge in Ottawa there is no chance of the relationship getting better.

As for expansion, I've heard Saskatoon will likely be in for 2021 as they've drawn well during their SK summer series, which was done to test the market. I've also heard Kitchener-Waterloo is in as soon as they get a stadium, although that's a pretty big obstacle. And there is the constant talk of clubs in Quebec.

I would be happy with 8 clubs in 2020 and 10 in 2021 with none of the existing 7 folding. That would be pretty stable for the sport in this country.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2019, 11:42 AM   #1409
Hockey-and_stuff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
That stand is still under construction. Supposed to be finished in August.
That stadium is going to look amazing once it's completed. I'm hoping to make it out to a march next season once construction is finished.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockey-and_stuff For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2019, 03:38 PM   #1410
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1148312348202958848

Old 07-08-2019, 03:49 PM   #1411
jayswin

Exp:

I'm assuming if we haven't heard anything by now this Whitecaps vs Cavalry game isn't being picked up by TSN? I have onesoccer so not the end of the world, would just be nice to have the better quality and commentary.
Old 07-08-2019, 04:16 PM   #1412
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

As far as I know the game will not be broadcast on TSN. There is no way enough people care about this game to draw the types of ratings TSN would want.

Old 07-08-2019, 04:53 PM   #1413
Thunderball
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
As far as I know the game will not be broadcast on TSN. There is no way enough people care about this game to draw the types of ratings TSN would want.
Not in a weekday prime time slot anyway. If this game was on a weekend mid-day time slot, TSN might consider it (unless they have PGA rights or something that is a massive ratings draw).
Old 07-08-2019, 05:55 PM   #1414
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Everyone going to the game on Wednesday should hit up the Rose & Crown for pregame / postgame and transport. $5 beers from 4-6, there's a BBQ tent and games area and they will have other Voyageurs Cup games on the big screen.

Old 07-08-2019, 06:13 PM   #1415
Thunderball
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Everyone going to the game on Wednesday should hit up the Rose & Crown for pregame / postgame and transport. $5 beers from 4-6, there's a BBQ tent and games area and they will have other Voyageurs Cup games on the big screen.
That's how I plan to get to and from the game. It's a good time, and the Rose and Crown has a very respectable tap list.
Old 07-08-2019, 06:56 PM   #1416
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Quote:
I’ll be there! Cannot wait for Wednesday
Old 07-08-2019, 07:52 PM   #1417
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

My buddy and I are going. Planning to be there for five. Will there be enough busses?
Old 07-08-2019, 08:18 PM   #1418
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have no idea what the demand is for busses to the game on Wednesday. We haven't had to leave people off the bus but also haven't had a game like this yet. Without a formal ticketing system for transportation I can only assume everyone can get on.

Old 07-08-2019, 10:48 PM   #1419
Reneeee
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Any rumoured whitecap lineup yet?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old 07-08-2019, 11:12 PM   #1420
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Again Sherm, the only reason I'm aware of this team and super pumped about it is because of you. Great job. Look forward to cheering on the Cavs Wednesday

Tags
2xchamps , canadian premier league , canpl , cavalry fc , fc edmonton is no good , fuforge