Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2018, 11:32 AM   #41
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Nucks are a lot like the 14/15 Flames in that there are no expectations and thus no pressure, everything is fun, and teams often take them too lightly. If they win, great. If they don't, well no one expected them to.

Very easy to over-achieve somewhat, and have a better than expected year, in a situation like that.

The way to deal with a team like that is to make the game not fun for them. Outwork them, and hit everything. Grind them.

Unfortunately, that's not how the Flames play. They prefer to trade scoring chances with teams. And while the Flames are much more talented, and should win that game, it does play into Vancouver's hands, and will keep them engaged.

6-4 Flames in a wild one. With lots of Randorf hate in the GT.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2018, 11:33 AM   #42
Rejean31
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudfather View Post
Play by play is Randorf tonight and colour commentary is Louis Debrusk.

Scott Oake has Gio on After Hours!
I don't get this. How come when the Grease have a late game on HNIC they get Mr. Oiler Kevin Quinn calling the game and when we have the late game we are always saddled with the crap calling of Randorf? If the Oilers can have Quinn for HNIC why can't we have Rick Ball?
Old 12-29-2018, 11:34 AM   #43
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Pat Steinberg @Fan960Steinberg
Coach Peters says he’s shuffling the deck tonight.

“Our group has gone stale a little bit. We haven’t liked our starts, we haven’t liked the energy we’ve played with. We’re trying to get a little energy back into our room.”

Bit of a guessing game on lines tonight. #Flames
Gaudreau - Monahan - Bennett
Tkachuk - Lindholm - Neal
Dube - Jankowski - Czarnik

for a guess
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2018, 11:36 AM   #44
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemit14 View Post
It seems so strange to me that the coaching staff hasn’t even once tried Neal on the powerplay in his one-timer position on the right side. He’s always the high-screen/high-slot shot position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, I have loved the coaching job overall, but that has been the most baffling (lack of a) decision this year.
Old 12-29-2018, 11:37 AM   #45
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoller View Post
I'd be interested to review every Frolik goal this year. I seem to recall a lot of open nets and easy tap ins.
Goal 1 vs. Vancouver

Pretty standard empty-netter when the game was essentially sealed. Still, a good effort to block the puck at the blueline and win the ensuing race for the puck.

Goal 2 vs. Boston

Frolik is the beneficiary of a nice passing play by Tkachuk and Backlund. Gets himself into good position and buries it off the Backlund pass. No chance for Rask.

Goal 3 vs. Boston

Frolik begins the play by cutting off the angle for Marchand's pass along the boards, allowing Backlund to pick up the puck and find him wide-open on the far side of the net. On his weak side, Frolik had to lift up the puck while moving backwards -- a nice goal, but again, Rask had little chance.

Goal 4 vs. Montreal

Tkachuk fires a one-timer that deflects off Frolik's skate and in. Welp, a goal is a goal, I guess?

Goal 5 vs. Toronto

Another empty-netter, this one off an awful giveaway by Morgan Rielly. Sealed a 3-1 win, but Frolik didn't have to do much.

Goal 6 vs. Colorado

This is a legitimately nice goal. Frolik breaks in on the rush with Tkachuk, takes a pass, and fires a hard wrister along the ice past Varlamov. This one stood as the game-winner, too.

Goal 7 vs. Chicago

I mean, there's something to be said for getting the puck in front. Frolik does that here, and had it not gone off Crawford's stick, it might've gone straight to a waiting Bennett. But as it is, it's defintely a really lucky one, shades of Brodie's game-winner against Boston in 2015. This one was also a game-winner.

So, to summarize:

Empty-netters: 2 (Vancouver, Toronto)
Bounces: 2 (Montreal, Chicago)
No chance for the goalie: 1 (Boston 1 -- this could be 2, depending on how you see his second goal against Rask)
Legitimately nice goals: 2 (Boston 2, Colorado)

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2018, 11:45 AM   #46
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m nervous about this one. The Canucks are playing well lately and have nothing to lose
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 11:49 AM   #47
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, just like the Blues game after the Tampa game, this is a trap game.

And the Canucks are more dangerous than the Blues.

Flames should slash Pettersen and Boeser's hands as much as they can. Apparently it's accepted on skill players.
Old 12-29-2018, 11:50 AM   #48
Blixa
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rejean31 View Post
I don't get this. How come when the Grease have a late game on HNIC they get Mr. Oiler Kevin Quinn calling the game and when we have the late game we are always saddled with the crap calling of Randorf? If the Oilers can have Quinn for HNIC why can't we have Rick Ball?
This is what makes me sick too, is Ball calling hawks games on weekends? But those two oiler homers, allmost makes me want mute. How many times we are going here mcdavid this or that. I guess they have hard time to know who they prefer to win, if nucks win it will make coilers play off changes harder.
Blixa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 11:59 AM   #49
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thinking a little more on Frolik, while I don't have a problem with him sitting a game here or there, this is a weird one to do it, IMO.

The Nucks have no depth whatsoever - shut down Pettersson and Boeser and you're probably in good shape. And the game is at home, so run a line like Dube - Backlund - Frolik against them.

Then you come back with two scoring lines:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
Tkachuk - Bennett - Neal
or
Gaudreau - Monahan - Bennett
Tkachuk - Lindholm - Neal

Either way, Vancouver has no answer. Seems like the perfect game to have Frolik in the lineup to me.
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2018, 12:03 PM   #50
KipperFaNaTic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I have been a defender of Neal, but now he has no excuse to not produce being on the second line. Hopefully he finally breaks free.
KipperFaNaTic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 12:06 PM   #51
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

I seem to recall Frolik playing very well with Ryan and Neal for the 3rd period in some game. I'd like to see that again

Gaudreau Monahan Lindholm
Tkachuk Backlund Bennett
Frolik Ryan Neal
Dube Jankowski Czarnik

I'd really like to see Hathaway sat for once soon
savardandjokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 12:08 PM   #52
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
The Nucks are a lot like the 14/15 Flames in that there are no expectations and thus no pressure, everything is fun, and teams often take them too lightly. If they win, great. If they don't, well no one expected them to.

Very easy to over-achieve somewhat, and have a better than expected year, in a situation like that.

The way to deal with a team like that is to make the game not fun for them. Outwork them, and hit everything. Grind them.

Unfortunately, that's not how the Flames play. They prefer to trade scoring chances with teams. And while the Flames are much more talented, and should win that game, it does play into Vancouver's hands, and will keep them engaged.

6-4 Flames in a wild one. With lots of Randorf hate in the GT.
Definitely agree with the bolded. CGY has to decide if they want to be the hardest working team in their building. CGY has been great at home and I think it's a pride/identity thing for them - so I'm excited to see them bring their best game tonight.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 12:10 PM   #53
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savardandjokinen View Post
I seem to recall Frolik playing very well with Ryan and Neal for the 3rd period in some game. I'd like to see that again

Gaudreau Monahan Lindholm
Tkachuk Backlund Bennett
Frolik Ryan Neal
Dube Jankowski Czarnik

I'd really like to see Hathaway sat for once soon
Wat? Hathaway has been the best yplayer in the bottom six
Old 12-29-2018, 12:10 PM   #54
SmoggyFlamesFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
Yeah, just like the Blues game after the Tampa game, this is a trap game.

And the Canucks are more dangerous than the Blues.

Flames should slash Pettersen and Boeser's hands as much as they can. Apparently it's accepted on skill players.
Hey now, let's not stoop to low levels to win. It may cost our players a whopping $2500. I don't think their millionaire wallets can handle it. /s
SmoggyFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 12:12 PM   #55
J79
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I don't have a good feeling about this one. Pettersson has 'Flames killer' written all over him.
J79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 12:14 PM   #56
skeena1
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blixa View Post
This is what makes me sick too, is Ball calling hawks games on weekends? But those two oiler homers, allmost makes me want mute. How many times we are going here mcdavid this or that. I guess they have hard time to know who they prefer to win, if nucks win it will make coilers play off changes harder.
I think it may have something to do with the opponent. If its another Canadian team, then it will almost always be someone like Randorf. If its a US opponent, then the local guy will sometimes work the game.
skeena1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 12:36 PM   #57
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeena1 View Post
I think it may have something to do with the opponent. If its another Canadian team, then it will almost always be someone like Randorf. If its a US opponent, then the local guy will sometimes work the game.
It's because Randorf is a Canucks fan from Vancouver and wants to call this game. He's got friends in the right places at Rogers.

Just listen to the game with the sound off, it'll be a lot better.
Old 12-29-2018, 12:42 PM   #58
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Pat Steinberg @Fan960Steinberg
Coach Peters says he’s shuffling the deck tonight.

“Our group has gone stale a little bit. We haven’t liked our starts, we haven’t liked the energy we’ve played with. We’re trying to get a little energy back into our room.”

Bit of a guessing game on lines tonight. #Flames
I agree with this so I'm fine with a guy like Frolik rotating out. Frolik can be a useful player but over the past few season's he's kind of trending down. How does one get a regular shift with Backlund and Tkachuk and have 0 assists in 22 games? I see him as a guy that could be moved out in the offseason.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 12:44 PM   #59
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
It's because Randorf is a Canucks fan from Vancouver and wants to call this game. He's got friends in the right places at Rogers.

Just listen to the game with the sound off, it'll be a lot better.
You can bet Randorf will be slobbering all over Petterson tonight!
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 12:45 PM   #60
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tkachuk is going to get a few points tonight. Johnny will stay hot so I think we see some goals coming on the powerplay.
Vinny01 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:

Tags
gfg , hnic , rivalry