Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Old 12-08-2018, 10:50 AM   #41
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

Jankowski really needs to start showing why he’s here. He seems like he’s just satisfied at playing a meh game.

Show us why you are here. Move the needle on the give a #### meter. I wanna see this guy be something . For all the haters of Bennett this guy does squat for this team .

Hope we beat the preds as they are my 3rd hated team and can be chippy and as dirty as Minnesota.

Let’s win these next 2 and get back our dirty captain. Man I’m stil seething at this bs suspension.
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 10:53 AM   #42
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
I would argue that Jankowski/Bennett/Neal IS the 2nd line.
It's Mangiapane - Jankowski - Neal

And considering that Tkachuk has twice as many points than the 3 of them combined, I think his line would safely be considered the 2nd line.
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2018, 10:54 AM   #43
Fan in Exile
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phagoof View Post
He deserves a shot to step up with backs out. Janko has the potential to be a top 6 forward.

Big game for Hanifin. He's going to be logging Gios minutes I assume.
I would speculate at this point that Peters doesn’t like what he sees from Janko in practice and/or there’s some aspect of his play that Peters wants him to change before he gets more opportunity. Hope they get over that hump because I think Janko has more to offer than Ryan now and in the future.

I’ll give Peters benefit of the doubt but nothing exciting about seeing Ryan play up the lineup. Hope he does a decent job nonetheless. I guess that’s why he’s here. He’s a utility player who can play up or down the lineup.
Fan in Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 10:55 AM   #44
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Win it for Gio!

Win it for Backs!

Win it for... um... Lomberg?

Flames win 3-1. Andersson, Mangiapane and Kylington all score their first NHL goals.

GFG!
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 10:58 AM   #45
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Preds have lost 4 in a row on the road. They are missing a bunch of players. Subban, Forsberg, Arvidsson and Turris all out.

This game is totally winnable if the top line has a good game and the team as a whole plays some responsible defense.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2018, 10:58 AM   #46
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVERLAST View Post
Jankowski really needs to start showing why he’s here. He seems like he’s just satisfied at playing a meh game.

Show us why you are here. Move the needle on the give a #### meter. I wanna see this guy be something . For all the haters of Bennett this guy does squat for this team .

Hope we beat the preds as they are my 3rd hated team and can be chippy and as dirty as Minnesota.

Let’s win these next 2 and get back our dirty captain. Man I’m stil seething at this bs suspension.
This got me thinking - maybe it's the division they're in.

Minnesota - CS-ingly dirty
Nashville - sneakily dirty
Winnipeg - brutally dirty
St Louis - dirty
Chicago - sneakily dirty
Dallas - filthy dirty
Colorado - well, probably the least dirty

It is easily the filthiest and most brutal division in the league, and it is probably just a case that it has continued to escalate until we find ourselves at this point.
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2018, 11:00 AM   #47
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ and that is saying something, considering we have Anaheim, LA and Vancouver in the Pacific
Old 12-08-2018, 11:00 AM   #48
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

You may be on to something but I personally think the dirty play from Minnesota these past few years is the Boudreau effect.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2018, 11:02 AM   #49
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Playing Janko alongside Bennett and Tkachuk would be the smart decision, not only do I like his game better, I think you have to make decisions, not just based on a single game, but with a look to the future. Janko moving up the lineup should be the long term goal of the team. Playing him there now, not only plants that seed in him, it also gives the team an opportunity to evaluate him there. Playing an older journey-man centre should only be done as a last option.
Old 12-08-2018, 11:04 AM   #50
scotty2hotty
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Tkachuk - Bennett - Neal

Would be my second line. But then again, I haven’t been an NHL coach for quite some time now.
Old 12-08-2018, 11:06 AM   #51
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman View Post
Playing Janko alongside Bennett and Tkachuk would be the smart decision, not only do I like his game better, I think you have to make decisions, not just based on a single game, but with a look to the future. Janko moving up the lineup should be the long term goal of the team. Playing him there now, not only plants that seed in him, it also gives the team an opportunity to evaluate him there. Playing an older journey-man centre should only be done as a last option.
That is exactly how I look at it.
Old 12-08-2018, 11:07 AM   #52
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

NSH is a great challenge/opportunity to show what they're made of. Jankowski has been playing great for last 5-10 games. He's getting in there and using his enormous talent (vision, passing etc) to great effect. Would be good to see him use that lethal shot a little more but he's been a strong player and I hope he keeps pushing himself and his line.

I hope to see Ryan's line play in the offensive zone, get their heads up and find each other out there. I love watching give and go hockey.

With all the changes to the line up its important that they focus on winning battles, exiting the zone clean, playing fast, smart and hard and then continue making plays as they have been doing.

This team is so deep that its a great chance for guys to get bigger roles and continue their great performances. Work hard get in rhythm and let it flow!
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 11:12 AM   #53
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Go Flames go!
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 11:22 AM   #54
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope they try Jankowski on the 2nd unit sometime this year. The players on the first unit has two players tied for 9th, one player tied for 15th, two tied at 30th.

The second unit has two players tied for 145th and two players tied for 222nd (the second unit only has 4 players who have scored any points).

I know it is normal for the 1st unit to get more of the PP goals but the first unit is on pace for 57 PPG and the second unit is on pace for 11. It would be nice to get a little more production out of the second PP unit eventually.

Last edited by Aarongavey; 12-08-2018 at 11:24 AM.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 11:26 AM   #55
goflamesgo18
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVERLAST View Post

Completely disagree with the first 2 paragraphs. Janko has been a very solid bottom 6 guy with limited icetime and linemates. He plays a good defensive game and is a threat to score. He plays hard every game and does what is asked of him.
goflamesgo18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to goflamesgo18 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2018, 11:30 AM   #56
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by goflamesgo18 View Post
Completely disagree with the first 2 paragraphs. Janko has been a very solid bottom 6 guy with limited icetime and linemates. He plays a good defensive game and is a threat to score. He plays hard every game and does what is asked of him.
Ya to have 10 points this year with the linemates he has played with and no PP time is a minor miracle. Pretty pleased with Janko and am hoping he is given more opportunities.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 11:34 AM   #57
RyZ
First Line Centre

Exp:

Somehow Im more confident about tonight than I am about tomorrow. Ugh.
RyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 11:34 AM   #58
The Professor
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Why break up one of the best lines in the NHL?

With Forsberg and Arvidson out, thePreds are missing their top fire power. If our top line can win its battle, all we need from the other 3 lines is a draw.
Yup, the ‘why break them up when they’re hot ’ argument is solid.

My points on the other side of the ledger are:
-This is a unique situation because our second line centre is injured and Lindholm is, I believe, our best option to replace his quality minutes.
-I think Lindholm centring his own line is the long term solution for having two dynamite lines comprising our top six. We have four top line caliber forwards, I would pair them up for maximum effect.
-Just a hunch because I know Peters always preferred him at centre.
-Also I feel like Tkachuk is a near Gaudreau level play maker that would really benefit from playing with a shooter.

Last edited by The Professor; 12-08-2018 at 11:51 AM.
The Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 11:38 AM   #59
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

The team looks different without Gio and Backlund. But we'll see now if the Flames have the resiliency to overcome it. The good news is we will have 4 (!) PPG players up front. In previous seasons, those 2 out was a death sentence. But there shouldn't be a big drop in offence, as the backend still moves the puck quickly. I like the idea of Hanifin and Hamonic staying together and be the 1st pair, with Brodie moving down the play with Andersson in the middle pair. I think Brodie and Andersson can be quite good.

I'm glad Smith is rounding back into form. Knock on wood, I'm not as nervous with him in net. Should be an interesting game.

Last edited by Huntingwhale; 12-08-2018 at 11:42 AM.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 11:38 AM   #60
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Professor View Post
Yup, the ‘why break them up when they’re hot ’ argument is solid.

My points on the other side of the ledger are:
-This is a unique situation because our second line centre is injured and Lindholm is, I believe, our best option to replace his quality minutes.
-I think Lindholm centring his own line is the long term solution for having two dynamite lines comprising our top six. We have four top line caliber forwards, I would pair them up for maximum effect.
-Just a hunch because I know Peters always preferred him at centre.
I think it might make sense to do that tomorrow might in Edmonton. On the road, against McDavid, you want strength up the middle.

Monahan
Lindholm
Ryan
Jankowski

gives them the strongest option. Having said that, let's see how Quine performs tonight.

Tags
gdt , hnic , nashville , predators