Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2015, 09:50 PM   #21
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord700 View Post
Doubt it from a mathematical stand point. Great Vancouver Area population is around 2.4M now. So unless something really dramatic happens in either Calgary and Vancouver, it'll be hard for us to catch up. I think in general port cities will often have higher population than land locked cities.
http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=148182
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2015, 09:59 PM   #22
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Far too many people now. I much preferred it when there were only 1.1 million people. Ah, those were the days!
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Swift For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2015, 11:04 PM   #23
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

This wll change when all the people that promised to leave Alberta if the NDP ever got elected, honor their pledge.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2015, 11:12 PM   #24
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Things I miss about Calgary at 700k? How it used to be really affordable, and customer service was still decent.

Everything else though? Today's Calgary blows it out of the water.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2015, 11:35 PM   #25
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
This wll change when all the people that promised to leave Alberta if the NDP ever got elected, honor their pledge.
I was one of those people. Now I've decided to stay and fight for "change".

But if Muclair wins, I'm moving to Zimbabwe.

Last edited by darklord700; 08-03-2015 at 11:40 PM.
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to darklord700 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2015, 11:47 PM   #26
Magnum PEI
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I sort of miss the old Calgary. I was in an LA-style traffic jam last week on Glenmore. Without any exaggeration it took me 45 minutes to get from deerfoot to Elbow, a distance of two miles. This was at 6:30pm on a Tuesday. I turned off at Elbow, but Glenmore was literally a parking lot as far as the eye could see.
Magnum PEI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 12:05 AM   #27
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Accidents will bog down traffic no matter if a city's pop is 700k or 2M. Would you expect any different? I remember some horrible traffic jams back in the day.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 12:12 AM   #28
Magnum PEI
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I cant remember anything like that in Calgary, lived here almost my whole life.
Magnum PEI is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Magnum PEI For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2015, 12:24 AM   #29
Hugh Jahrmes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Didn't want to go there, but yea.. Exactly tbis
Old 08-04-2015, 12:55 AM   #30
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
Accidents will bog down traffic no matter if a city's pop is 700k or 2M. Would you expect any different?
Yes, because in general road infrastructure does not scale up proportionately to population. In general, metros with 700k have far less traffic problems than metros with 2M.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2015, 01:26 AM   #31
Hugh Jahrmes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
Yes, because in general road infrastructure does not scale up proportionately to population. In general, metros with 700k have far less traffic problems than metros with 2M.

My first time in Toronto, I selected a compact(or damn close to it, I forget exactly which model) based 100% on wanting more maneuverability and room for decision making.. Get there, "sorry this vehicle isn't ready...", take the free upgrade to a full sized fully loaded SUV, fail.

I'll definitely agree that a lifetime of bad traffic in Edmonton or Calgary were nothing to two weeks being a tourist in the GTA.

Also funny that IMO, traffic has always appeared far more congested to me in edmonton than Calgary, even though Calgary has a substantially larger population.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:13 AM   #32
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
I'd guess you're closer to 45 or 50 then 20.
I wouldn't take it as a given that 20 year olds prefer a city of over 1 million to one closer to half a million. Some things that were nice about being a young adult in a smaller city:
  • Cheaper to go out. Way, way cheaper. The economy played a part, part in the late 80s and early 90s there were 3 for 1 or half-price drink deals at popular bars every night of the week.
  • Smaller populations at U of C and MRC meant it was easier to make friends and feel like more than just a number.
  • Music and alternative scenes were small enough that you could know most of the people in them and feel like a bit of a player.
  • Cheap rent and accommodation, and landlords had no problem renting to a bunch of 20-year-olds (which I understand isn't the case today). I lived dirt cheap in the beltline in the early 90s.
  • People in general were friendlier and most trusting. That isn't something only old people care about.
  • The city was big enough to get major music acts, but they didn't sell out in 10 minutes.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 07:15 AM   #33
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Born and raised Calgarian and love it getting bigger.

My community went up by four people!
I do expect that next census we'll see a larger bump in population as a mid-rise condo started taking possession.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 07:35 AM   #34
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord700 View Post
I was one of those people. Now I've decided to stay and fight for "change".

But if Muclair wins, I'm moving to Zimbabwe.
Oh boy... You'd think you'd learn.

Anyway, just to help you out a little.

http://www.internations.org/zimbabwe-expats/guide
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 08:11 AM   #35
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
I wouldn't take it as a given that 20 year olds prefer a city of over 1 million to one closer to half a million. Some things that were nice about being a young adult in a smaller city:
I don't, I didn't. My point was that anyone saying something was more fun twenty years ago was probably because they were 20 years younger then they are now.

Some of your points are dubious though. Easier to make friends? Based on what? A bunch of people in Res will make friends with each other no matter the population.

Feel like a player in the local music scene? Well you got me there.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 10:24 AM   #36
HOWITZER
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Familia View Post
There are too many people now. I liked the city best at around 900,000. Big enough to attract world class events and venues, but small enough to feel like a small town community. Way to many transient people here now who don't give a #### about the city. They want to make their money then leave without investing in the city. Also, a lot more selfish people than ever (saddle-ridge owners who pave their front yards I'm looking at you).
How is this any different than someone living in Airdrie, Okotoks, Cochrane, etc. and driving in and out of the city every day? You could also make an argument that people who live in Seton are transient to downtown! Damn those people for going downtown, making their money, and then going home without spending it downtown!

If this is a passionate issue for you, then I'd advise you to get on board with "walkable neighbourhoods" and promote living where you work for all Calgarians. Doing so would go way further in promoting a healthy lifestyle, reducing traffic, pollution, and inner-city development while balancing an increase in population.

It's an exciting time right now to be living in Calgary and I am happy that the city continues to grow. Now if it'd just stop growing as quickly around the edges and focus on re-zoning inner-city land I would be just giddy.

/latte-sipper rant
HOWITZER is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HOWITZER For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2015, 10:38 AM   #37
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

We came to Calgary in '89 when the population was around 700k. It was a dump back then. I can't believe anyone would prefer that version of the city to what we have now.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to _Q_ For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2015, 10:50 AM   #38
Addick
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
I wonder if Calgary will ever catch Vancouver (CMA), in population. At least in my lifetime.
While we may not catch up to the Lower Mainland any time soon, I can see Calgary eventually surpassing Montreal as the second largest municipality in Canada.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”

- Roberta Brandes Gratz
Addick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 11:16 AM   #39
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

It totally perplexes me that some people don't like the change in Calgary. Sometimes I find myself marvelling at just how awesome it is, and how it gets more awesome every year. I love it. I guess specifically I love the part of Calgary that I live in, but even as a whole city it's fantastic. While I've lived near or in Calgary my whole life, a lot of the great, passionate Calgarians I know are people who have moved here in the last decade. So I can't get behind the idea that Calgary is somehow now filled with transient people who are just here to make money and don't care about the city.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 11:21 AM   #40
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only part I don't like about the growth is the number of people! I remember you used to be able to head out on Crowchild at 5:30 and the evening rush was done. Also going out to the mountains on weekends, specifically long weekends is getting to be pretty horrible. The rest of the changes with growth have been great though.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calgary , population