Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2015, 03:02 PM   #21
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkov View Post
We just bumped into a team that plays a similar system but better
There are similarities in defensive zone coverage but they are not built the same way really at all.

The Flames are a small transition based counter-attack team that generates chances on the rush. When they do have possession in the offensive zone, they rely on getting point shots through to the net. The Ducks are a dump and chase team with big forwards. When they have possession in the offensive zone, they cycle and generate chances in the side-slots and by taking pucks to the net hard.

The Ducks are just a better team right now. They also have 2 superstars who are in their prime and excel during the playoffs.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 03:44 PM   #22
Spinach
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Here's yet one more thing to be proud about this season:
Quote:
“That passion in Calgary… I’ve never felt that, having the whole city behind you like that," said winger David Jones. "Everyone in this room, we wanted to just give our fans one more game. It hurts, when you lose like that.”
With all else they've accomplished, it's pretty touching that the fans are foremost on the team's minds.
Spinach is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Spinach For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2015, 03:45 PM   #23
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

That hits me right in the feels David Jones.
Old 05-11-2015, 03:47 PM   #24
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
Eh, 29 teams every year play unsustainable NHL hockey.
30 teams, considering last year's Cup winner missed the playoffs this year.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 03:48 PM   #25
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope they keep saying this all summer long and all training camp. Keep motivating the Flames.
Old 05-11-2015, 03:51 PM   #26
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

I expect most comments here come from those who never read the article.
I thought it was a good piece - and was more or less mocking 'unsustainable'.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2015, 03:52 PM   #27
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
30 teams, considering last year's Cup winner missed the playoffs this year.
Nah, that just means that it's not always the same 29 teams every season.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 04:08 PM   #28
chopper89
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
I expect most comments here come from those who never read the article.
I thought it was a good piece - and was more or less mocking 'unsustainable'.
Agree, ironic some are calling it 'lazy journalism', when it appears they must have been too lazy themselves to read past the headline.

Spector has been very fair most of the year around the Flames, and even moved closer to fanboy-dom with some of his positive playoff pieces. He's consistently compared Calgary favourably to Edmonton all year.

I think his point was that everyone who is saying 'unsustainable' can crow that they're finally sorta right, but the truth is it was an unforgettable season. In the end, unless they won the Cup, there are always dummies that will say 'I told you so', but that doesn't change what happened.

A consensus bottom 5 pre-season pick ended up in the top 8 this year. Even the most die-hard fans of Calgary didn't predict that. Nobody is taking that away.
chopper89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to chopper89 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2015, 04:10 PM   #29
Hockey Fan #751
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Usually the person who writes the story does not get to write the headline. That could explain the disconnect.
Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hockey Fan #751 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2015, 04:21 PM   #30
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

After the first game of the series, the Flames sure gave the Ducks a run for the money. I was actually hoping Perry would be out completely from the playoffs after that hit last night in the second period. If that would've happened, man, I think that would've been a series changing event. Who knows, maybe the Flames can give the Hawks a run for the money as well?
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 04:26 PM   #31
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some love from Bruce Boudreau in this piece:

But were they a fluke, or are they a team with staying power? Ducks coach Bruce Boudreau seemed to think the latter.

“You give that big line a chance and they put it in, and (Johnny) Gaudreau scares you every time he touches the puck,” Boudreau said. “I think they’re a team that in the future when those guys get a little bit more experienced (depending on) what they do in the offseason as a team … is going to be very good next year. “

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nh...213407928.html
dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2015, 04:29 PM   #32
handgroen
First Line Centre

Exp:

the following are words i truly believe to be irrelevant in any hockey discussion:

unsustainable
PDO
shot attempts
visually better
mark spector

is your cat doing singing?
handgroen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 04:39 PM   #33
FaFaFlamey
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

[QUOTE=dash_pinched;5296595]Some love from Bruce Boudreau in this piece:

But were they a fluke, or are they a team with staying power? Ducks coach Bruce Boudreau seemed to think the latter.

“You give that big line a chance and they put it in, and (Johnny) Gaudreau scares you every time he touches the puck,” Boudreau said. “I think they’re a team that in the future when those guys get a little bit more experienced (depending on) what they do in the offseason as a team … is going to be very good next year. “

Judging by Bruce's excitement when they scored he must have been relieved that they won. I know SN claimed that he's never been past round two but he looked relieved to have finally put them away. That's pretty good for the Flames to have done that. I'm thinking we just got beat by this year's Stanley Cup champs.
FaFaFlamey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 04:57 PM   #34
bettman
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

It was a complimentary article. Read the whole thing before you criticize people. It's nice to see a journalist from another city compliment the Flames. Obviously others are taking notice.
bettman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bettman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2015, 04:58 PM   #35
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just read the article, people. It's actually good and complimentary to the Flames.
Old 05-11-2015, 06:02 PM   #36
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

That article is not complimentary. Condescending more like. Saying things like "their nine lives simply ran out" is not complementary at all.

And I didn't catch the part where he admitted that he has been consistently wrong about the Flames for years....
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 06:14 PM   #37
JohnnySkittles
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I don' think it's unsustainable to the same effect as Colorado/Toronto in the past, those teams relied on elite goaltending to mask #### defense. Where as we had an unreal compete level from every guy on the team to go along with a very solid top 4 D and an amazing top line of Gaudreau-Monahan-Hudler.

However, I don't really expect this type of success next season. The parity in this league is unbelievable, last year Boston and LA were President Trophy winners and Stanley Cup winners, this season they didn't make it.
We also had a career season from almost everyone and guys emerge as legit NHL players who nobody really thought of, it was a magical season that can't be replicated.
JohnnySkittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 06:27 PM   #38
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

It will be interesting to see the pre-season predictions next season. I believe they have cemented themselves as the 2nd best team in the Pacific and should improve next year due to being a young team on the rise with lots of cap room. I am fully expecting some analysts to yell out unsustainable though and pick them to be 5th or 6th.
FireGilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 06:27 PM   #39
Larry David
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnySkittles View Post
I don' think it's unsustainable to the same effect as Colorado/Toronto in the past, those teams relied on elite goaltending to mask #### defense. Where as we had an unreal compete level from every guy on the team to go along with a very solid top 4 D and an amazing top line of Gaudreau-Monahan-Hudler.

However, I don't really expect this type of success next season. The parity in this league is unbelievable, last year Boston and LA were President Trophy winners and Stanley Cup winners, this season they didn't make it.
We also had a career season from almost everyone and guys emerge as legit NHL players who nobody really thought of, it was a magical season that can't be replicated.

This being a magical season that may not be replicated in the sense that no one was expecting it. Going in to next year, expectations will be higher. I get that part of it.
As for "career seasons from almost everyone", I hear this a lot. Wouldn't that be obvious when most of our key guys are still very young in their careers and nowhere near the typical point for their peak?
Old 05-11-2015, 06:48 PM   #40
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

What happens next season is irrelevant to how sustainable this team was - because it will be a DIFFERENT team. I don't know how some of the stat mavens can't understand that. If the Flames come out next year and fall flat it doesn't mean anything about this year's team.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:

Tags
flames , fucorsi , pdo , playoffs