Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2012, 08:44 AM   #41
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
i never thought CP would see a user more loony and out of touch with reality than Calgaryborn. i was wrong
Mikey has always been the real winner here. CalgaryBorn may have incredibly antiquated and ridiculous views, but at least he demonstrates some mental capacity behind them. Mikey is about on par with the random homeless guy ranting outside of the subway stop, the only difference is he somehow fund a way to access the internet.
valo403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to valo403 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2012, 11:04 AM   #42
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daradon View Post
Erm, I believe Obama was one of the few that voted against invading Iraq. That's why I liked him over Hilary when they were choosing the nomination.

Old link, about him running for prez...

http://www.reuters.com/article/2007/...23153320070212

There's plenty of things I'm pissed at him about and Dems as well, but can't hang this one on him.
I never said Obama voted to invade Iraq. I said he hasn't stepped back from getting involved in other conflicts. Libya for one. Drone attacks in Pakistan. List goes on.

Not that I condemn him for it. I also think he has done a rather good job in that regard.

But lets not bury our heads in the sand and act like the rest of the Democrats didn't vote to invade Iraq. So to say that the 'crazy right' wants to get involved in every conflict is at the very least extremely naive.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:18 AM   #43
HPLovecraft
Took an arrow to the knee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
I never said Obama voted to invade Iraq.
You did say all Democrats voted to invade Iraq.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch
I don't have any illusions that Joe is just as corrupt and bent as the next guy that gains aboslute power and sells out to get it.
The problem is that Sheriff Arpaio is more corrupt and bent than the next guy. The guy is a drama queen who loves the media attention. Hell, his cold case posse of expert investigators has someone publishing a book on their explosive findings on Fauxbama. The guy plays by his own rules -- and not in a cool Riggs from Lethal Weapon kind of way.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:43 AM   #44
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPLovecraft View Post
You did say all Democrats voted to invade Iraq.

The problem is that Sheriff Arpaio is more corrupt and bent than the next guy. The guy is a drama queen who loves the media attention. Hell, his cold case posse of expert investigators has someone publishing a book on their explosive findings on Fauxbama. The guy plays by his own rules -- and not in a cool Riggs from Lethal Weapon kind of way.
you need to have the epic mullet to get away with bad police practices.

I mean seriously this guy could hi-karate your grandpa and bust a cap in grandma and people would simply shake thier heads and say its ok because his wife is dead, and what kind of haircare products does he use.

Plus he's clearly a dog lover

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2012, 11:51 AM   #45
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

John McClane > Riggs
Old 05-11-2012, 11:57 AM   #46
Hilch
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
But lets not bury our heads in the sand and act like the rest of the Democrats didn't vote to invade Iraq. So to say that the 'crazy right' wants to get involved in every conflict is at the very least extremely naive.
I wonder if most voted to invade because they were lied to by the right about WMDs. I also don't remember saying Democrats weren't involved but it's pretty clear the right starts more wars and hate more than the left.
A lot of character Hemsky has shown. He could have easily got a long term UFA contract. He knows what's brewing up here and wants to be a part of it. It can be contagious.
Hilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:22 PM   #47
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey_the_redneck View Post
Sheriff Arpaio knows damn well that Obama's birth certificate is an outright forgery.....a poorly executed forgery.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:25 PM   #48
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilch View Post
I wonder if most voted to invade because they were lied to by the right about WMDs. I also don't remember saying Democrats weren't involved but it's pretty clear the right starts more wars and hate more than the left.
Lied too? Pretty tough to claim that when they all admitted that they never bothered to read the intelligence reports they were given regarding Iraq and WMDs.

Who started the Vietnam War? Left or right?
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:39 PM   #49
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Lied too? Pretty tough to claim that when they all admitted that they never bothered to read the intelligence reports they were given regarding Iraq and WMDs.

Who started the Vietnam War? Left or right?
Incompetant French?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2012, 04:44 PM   #50
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whats interesting is that the Left used to be the advocates of being the World's Police force and liberating nations from dictators. Look at Carter and Kenedy. It is only recently really only since Bush 1 that the right had begun pushing for war. Prior to that the Right was the isolationist party.

What happened in the interim is that the weapons manufacturers got behind the republicans and industry / politicians realized that war allows the efficient transfer of public money and assets into private hands.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2012, 06:47 AM   #51
NBC
Account closed at user's request.

Exp:

Quote:
I never said Obama voted to invade Iraq. I said he hasn't stepped back from getting involved in other conflicts. Libya for one. Drone attacks in Pakistan. List goes on.
Not that I want to be a stickler for details, but in 2002 Barack Obama was a State Senator from Illinois. He was elected to the United States Senate in November 2004 with 70% support. While he was an early opponent of the proposed 2003 Invasion of Iraq, he was in no way involved in any sort of federal congressional decision-making. He was against the proposed invasion as a member of the Illinois State Senate and therefore was not involved in any sort of "vote" unlike the current Secretary of State Mrs. Clinton.
NBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:23 PM   #52
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I don't have any illusions that Joe is just as corrupt and bent as the next guy that gains aboslute power and sells out to get it.

But I really don't have a problem with the concept of the jail that he runs. I think it could be an effective concept for first time or minor offenders as long as you mitigate it with shorter sentences.

I would be more in favor of a boot camp style prison with a high dgree of dicipline combined with a work program.

You want to make an impact of a first time prisoner, stop hugging him and telling him or her that its not their fault, its society that's at fault, stop giving them their freedom and start making them earn their freedom.

I'm also a fan of confrontation between victim and prisoner though.

As far as the Obama Joe thing, come on its hard to vat grow a lizard man technology let alone a fat one because you never see a fat lizard man.

Once they overcome those technical issues, Joe's life on earth will become short.
I agree that is attractive in theory, even I wouldn't be against it if it worked, but history has shown us time and again a lot of guards and prison executives can't be trusted with that kind of power. And issues begin to arise when you are making money off your prison population. Which you would be if you were using them for labour.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:58 PM   #53
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daradon View Post
I agree that is attractive in theory, even I wouldn't be against it if it worked, but history has shown us time and again a lot of guards and prison executives can't be trusted with that kind of power. And issues begin to arise when you are making money off your prison population. Which you would be if you were using them for labour.
Bring in former warrant officers and retired basic training instructors, that are from outside of the prison system.

Plus if you have a work system where the money goes right back into the the lodging system, with a benefit to the prisoners that work well it would work better and not be a for profit system.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:54 PM   #54
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
We need more Sheriffs like Joe

I beleive the pink is to stop theft of clothing
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:10 PM   #55
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Quote:
The Democrats all voted to invade Iraq and Afghanistan, and Obama hasn't stepped back from getting involved in possible conflicts either.

But hey, crazy right indeed.
Quote:

Not that I condemn him for it. I also think he has done a rather good job in that regard.

You pretty much did. Maybe it just came out wrong but you obviously implied it the way you wrote it.

And my views on that war and both sides of the house have been well documented since the beginning. As I mentioned, that's why I originally was drawn to Obama, cause he had a better record on it that other Dems.

I will agree he has embroiled himself in a lot of conflicts while in office though. However I don't have a huge problem with these particular conflicts. All have been much different in the case of what was going on in the country at the time. People have been fighting for their rights.

While Saddam was pretty brutal there wasn't an uprising against him and he was kind of keeping together a broken populace. I mean we all saw it get 100 times worse AFTER he was removed from power. It was a bad regime but it may have been the lesser of two evils at that point and the US reason for going in were highly suspect.

I even mentioned this years ago when I first got on this board that if Bush had simply said Saddam is a horrible dictator and we are going in to support human rights I probably would have felt much differently. But no, there was this whole bogus WMD thing and threat to American security thing which was laughable from the very beginning. They didn't care about the Iraqi people. And that was shown by their lack of exit strategy and actions towards rebuilding the country.

As for Afghanistan I was always for action against the the Taliban. I was talking about it even before 9/11. When they started blowing up Buddhist statues and taking away TV's and their record towards women came out.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:50 PM   #56
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I beleive the pink is to stop theft of clothing
Used jailhouse underwear is a hot commodity? Who knew?

And here I thought this was about humiliation.

RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:51 AM   #57
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RougeUnderoos View Post

And here I thought this was about humiliation.
he can't kill to birds with one stone?
Old 05-15-2012, 11:53 AM   #58
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RougeUnderoos View Post
Disappointingly, my search on Ebay returned no results.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:56 AM   #59
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makarov View Post
Disappointingly, my search on Ebay returned no results.

Quote:
Another program Arpaio is very well known for is the pink underwear he makes all inmates wear. Years ago, when the Sheriff learned that inmates were stealing jailhouse white boxers, Arpaio had all inmate underwear dyed pink for better inventory control.
http://www.mcso.org/About/Sheriff.aspx
Old 05-17-2012, 02:56 PM   #60
mikey_the_redneck
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Governm...donesia-Hawaii

mikey_the_redneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arizona , sheriff arpaio