Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2012, 04:20 PM   #1
Polaroid
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default Getting calls from strangers.

*Please move this to a different forum if this is not the right place.

A couple of weeks ago I started getting calls from random people saying that I had called them previously, even though I hadn't called them. Thinking I might have accidentally dialed the number, I checked my call logs which showed no indication of me calling anyone that I didn't know of.

Now this has been happening 2 - 3 times a day for the past couple of weeks. I finally got the chance today to call my network provider (Mobilicity) and after explaining to them the problem, their solution was to either change my phone number or to deal with it.

I have had this phone number for the past three years and I'm not changing it, and I'm definitely not putting up with this problem. So if there is any advice that CP might have on this topic, please do give it, as I am out of ideas
Polaroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 04:22 PM   #2
Svensational
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Yeah I've had this happen--I changed my number after sufficient annoyance (I demanded Shaw do it for free, I got it!) so I'd suggest doing the same. YOU are the paying customer, you actually do have some leverage. Don't let em tell you otherwise.
Svensational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 04:29 PM   #3
Polaroid
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svensational View Post
Yeah I've had this happen--I changed my number after sufficient annoyance (I demanded Shaw do it for free, I got it!) so I'd suggest doing the same. YOU are the paying customer, you actually do have some leverage. Don't let em tell you otherwise.
They actually offered to change it for free before I even started arguing about anything lol. But changing my number would be the last resort since I really like this number and I would have to inform all my contacts, its such a hassle.
Old 07-14-2012, 04:30 PM   #4
Svensational
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

^ Yep, it sure can be a hassle.. better than the alternative though. At least in my mind.
Old 07-14-2012, 04:48 PM   #5
Polaroid
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

What I don't understand is that one solution cannot simply be the only solution. There has to be a different solution, otherwise its the phone number change is simply "giving up" by the phone company or "we don't know how to fix this".
Old 07-14-2012, 04:52 PM   #6
Svensational
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

People can clone the number quite easily--I have no idea if that's what happening.. or for what possible purpose, it just seems unlikely all these ppl are mistaken or lying. If it is a case of cloning your number, the company could get deeper involved but they rarely put forth such an effort. :/
The Following User Says Thank You to Svensational For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2012, 05:25 PM   #7
Polaroid
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Hm.... after searching the internet for the past 2 hours, and receiving one random call, I have decided to give up and just change me number . They should really come up with a better solution for this though...
Old 07-14-2012, 05:44 PM   #8
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Shaw lets me block phone numbers, cell companies should setup that kind of thing, especially since spam calls use up minutes in some plans.
Old 07-14-2012, 05:52 PM   #9
puckluck2
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Anyone can call anyone with any number they want at bluffmycall.com.

Sucks that technology allows this as it can be exploited to do a lot of harm if someone has the desire to do so.
puckluck2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
galaxy , mobilicity sucks , network , phone , problem