Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2024, 02:23 PM   #2301
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba17 View Post
One thing I see this year is Huska isn't against going to 3 lines. If Sutter didn't rely on the crappy 4th line he could have Backlund/Lindholm every second shift and played against McDavid line, Flames got screwed when they tried to play the 3rd or 4th line against them.

This season at least the 4th line can play some sort of hockey. That Lucic line was terrible at NHL hockey.
Rolling 4 lines like clockwork regardless of the situation was infuriating. It's not just Sutter who does that, but its such an annoying strategy.

Huska talked about having a profile for 4th line players and the 4th line.
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 02:26 PM   #2302
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macho0978 View Post
I agree and need to be patient when he is on the ice. Mcdavid is a counter puncher, he's the NHL version of Mike Tyson. Stick to the game plan and he is beatable, and the Oilers roster is flawed and half the game is against them. McDavid over plays he will wear out too.

IMO the Jets a few years ago showed the plan and beat him with a lessor of a roster. Vegas and Colorado played a similar game as well, but they have better teams than the Oilers when healthy.
LOL. Mike Tyson was not a counter puncher... haha

Maybe Sugar Ray Leonard or Floyd Mayweather. Actually McDavid is Floyd. Afraid of contact and runs around scared.
Old 03-18-2024, 02:29 PM   #2303
MrButtons
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Without Markstrom i'm not sure we would've got past dallas and Ottinger standing on his head. We only had 15 goals in 7 games and needed him to backstop. Not suggesting we excuse the 2nd round, but we can't forget how he played in that 1st one.
MrButtons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 02:33 PM   #2304
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
LOL. Mike Tyson was not a counter puncher... haha

Maybe Sugar Ray Leonard or Floyd Mayweather. Actually McDavid is Floyd. Afraid of contact and runs around scared.
Tyson was a killer, he went for the knockout right away.

Mayweather is one of the most boring boxers ever, I am not sure he would be accurate either.
Old 03-18-2024, 02:36 PM   #2305
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mike Tyson called himself a counterpuncher, at least, while Cus D'Amato coached him. Though an agressive/peekaboo style of one. He said he liked opponents to open up so he could move in with his short reach.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 02:39 PM   #2306
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
I still have PTSD from that playoff series. At least most of the dead weights are off the team.

Sutter
Lindholm
Hanifin
Gudbradson
Tkachuk
Lucic
Dube
Jarnkrok

Now we just need to get rid of Rasmus and Markstrom to start anew!
Jarnkrok magically rebounded into the type of player we thought we were getting after arriving in Toronto too.

What a butt.

Hanifin was probably the worst d-man in that series, as much as I've liked his body of work since.

I don't know how much I put on Tkachuk when both of his most recent playoff runs as a Flame he hurt himself somehow. Was effective until that point. He just hurt himself much, much later with the Panthers which helped their run a lot. Hurt them a lot in the finals.

Last edited by TrentCrimmIndependent; 03-18-2024 at 02:41 PM.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 02:54 PM   #2307
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
Jarnkrok magically rebounded into the type of player we thought we were getting after arriving in Toronto too.

What a butt.

Hanifin was probably the worst d-man in that series, as much as I've liked his body of work since.

I don't know how much I put on Tkachuk when both of his most recent playoff runs as a Flame he hurt himself somehow. Was effective until that point. He just hurt himself much, much later with the Panthers which helped their run a lot. Hurt them a lot in the finals.
Jarnkrok was miscast here from the time he arrived. He is a winger. He was also was sick when he arrived here.

A real wasted opportunity. I wonder if his misuse by Sutter, soured Lindholm on him as well. Sutter said that they campaigned for them to get him.
Old 04-10-2024, 12:49 PM   #2308
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Since the trade:

Miromanov

15 GP
3 G
2 A
5 P
33 shots
21:19 average ice time

Hanifin

15 GP
2 G
6 A
8 P
+6
37 shots
23:01 average ice time

I dunno, not too shabby for a guy I'd never heard of before at the time of the trade and thought was just a throw in to even out the contracts lol

Damn near replaces Hanifin out of the gate with room to grow, and he's cheaper, and the Flames get a 2026 1st and either a 2024 3rd or 2025 2nd out of it.

Conroy really smashed the Toffoli, Hanifin and Lindholm trades about a mile OVER the fence.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2024, 01:16 PM   #2309
Funkhouser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Since the trade:

Miromanov

15 GP
3 G
2 A
5 P
33 shots

Hanifin

15 GP
2 G
6 A
8 P
+6
37 shots

I dunno, not too shabby for a guy I'd never heard of before at the time of the trade and thought was just a throw in to even out the contracts lol

Damn near replaces Hanifin out of the gate with room to grow, and he's cheaper, and the Flames get a 2026 1st and either a 2024 3rd or 2025 2nd out of it.

Conroy really smashed the Toffoli, Hanifin and Lindholm trades about a mile OVER the fence.
Have you watched him play??
Yes he has gotten points, but he is (IMO) very unpolished in the defensive side of the game. He makes pretty glaring mistakes and has a long way to go to establish himself as belonging. He is only getting the opportunity here due to the lack of depth; he wouldn't make the roster of a competitive team.

That being said, I would give him a year to see if Huska can get through to him to round out his game...if not, welcome to Waivers-ville
Funkhouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 02:01 PM   #2310
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkhouser View Post
Have you watched him play??
Yes he has gotten points, but he is (IMO) very unpolished in the defensive side of the game. He makes pretty glaring mistakes and has a long way to go to establish himself as belonging. He is only getting the opportunity here due to the lack of depth; he wouldn't make the roster of a competitive team.

That being said, I would give him a year to see if Huska can get through to him to round out his game...if not, welcome to Waivers-ville
He actually has some of the best defensive metrics on the team. Small sample size for sure. But he suppresses shots and chances at the best rates on the team.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 02:02 PM   #2311
Funkhouser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
He actually has some of the best defensive metrics on the team. Small sample size for sure. But he suppresses shots and chances at the best rates on the team.
Colour me surprised!
Any stat heads care to do an analysis??
Funkhouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 02:08 PM   #2312
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Since the trade:

Miromanov

15 GP
3 G
2 A
5 P
33 shots

Hanifin

15 GP
2 G
6 A
8 P
+6
37 shots

LOL he in no way replaces Hanifin out of the gate.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 02:24 PM   #2313
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’ve missed Tanev more than I’ve missed Hanifin.
Old 04-10-2024, 02:24 PM   #2314
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

His metrics are good defensively for sure, but most of the new guys are as well ... seems like the team is giving up less with a shallower roster (probably a system change).

If you look at the 15 games he's played he's slightly better than his peers in relative terms.

But Hanley and Pachal are even better.

Andersson the worst in the 15 games.

Situation and sample size make this almost irrelevant at this point. Next year we will see.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2024, 02:24 PM   #2315
the-rasta-masta
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think Miromanov has been just fine and there's some upside potential there for sure. With that said, the state of the D corps after losing Tanev and Hanifin makes it pretty clear that those two were stabilizing defensive players for the entire team and their partners. Don't need to look any further than the PK stats.
the-rasta-masta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to the-rasta-masta For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2024, 02:27 PM   #2316
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-rasta-masta View Post
I think Miromanov has been just fine and there's some upside potential there for sure. With that said, the state of the D corps after losing Tanev and Hanifin makes it pretty clear that those two were stabilizing defensive players for the entire team and their partners. Don't need to look any further than the PK stats.
The PK was bound to degrade, it was giving up chances at a ridiculous rate even before the tear down. The team was just getting lucky.
Old 04-10-2024, 02:32 PM   #2317
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Miromanov is not Hanifin, not even close.

However, he has tools, and is showing some really good signs. I think there is a good player there. Doubt he's ever Hanifin, but I think he can be a solid top 4 guy, if he keeps working at it.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2024, 02:44 PM   #2318
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Miromanov is not Hanifin, not even close.

However, he has tools, and is showing some really good signs. I think there is a good player there. Doubt he's ever Hanifin, but I think he can be a solid top 4 guy, if he keeps working at it.
Hanafin really isn't even that good. In the category of 1000 minute defensemen this season in the league, hes middle of the pack in most metrics offensively and defensively.

He's a 4. A good 4, but that's it.
Old 04-10-2024, 02:49 PM   #2319
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
I think there is a good player there. Doubt he's ever Hanifin, but I think he can be a solid top 4 guy, if he keeps working at it.
I see him as a 5 plus extra... so basically I see him as a bottom pairing guy who gets Power Play minutes and is the default fill-in when a T4 guy is injured.

I wouldn't want him logging the kind of minutes a true T4 guy gets thou.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 02:52 PM   #2320
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
Hanafin really isn't even that good. In the category of 1000 minute defensemen this season in the league, hes middle of the pack in most metrics offensively and defensively.

He's a 4. A good 4, but that's it.
Hanifin 5 on 5 rankings in the last three seasons

xGF% 22nd
xGF60 21st
xGA60 66th

League of 32 teams means 64 top pairing defensemen.

And he plays PK and PP with tough minutes.

The blind spot on Hanifin on this site is astounding to me.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote