Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2021, 01:36 PM   #1041
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post
Maybe you should drop this attitude. Veneration of the military is one of the hallmarks of fascism. Just like in any other profession, there are both good and awful people who serve in the Armed Forces. None of them automatically deserve respect solely because of the uniform they wear (or once wore) and nothing else.
I don't know how I feel.

A human, no matter what they have done, deserves a minimum level of respect for their life. I respect their right to be alive for example as I don't believe in the death penalty. I respect them not to be tutored.

If you severed this country, that minimum level goes up a little to me.

If you murder someone you are at a minimum plus a tiny fraction of respect given your past service.

Also, to imply I have automatically given her a great deal of respect is incorrect, if you are implying that, given I also called her a terrorist.

Last edited by Mull; 01-07-2021 at 01:40 PM.
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 01:37 PM   #1042
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1347279200491892736

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2021, 01:38 PM   #1043
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
They don't deserve respect just because they got hoodwinked by a recruiter at the mall, though. You earn respect. Just signing up isn't enough...it needs to be backed up through conduct.

This "thank a soldier for their service" thing only came about in the last 10-15 years. It's a perfect marketing tool because young guys see the default respect army dudes are now getting and it encourages them to sign up. Maybe that's a good thing for defense/the military, but it always makes me uncomfortable because I feel like we're sort of coaxing young people into a career they may not choose if not for the manipulation.

Also, there are people that serve with tremendous courage, valour and selflessness, but they are placed on the same pedestal as the mail clerk that gave people their care packages at a base in San Diego. Thanking every soldier is a hollow gesture and reminiscent of a participation award.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2021, 01:39 PM   #1044
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

What a loser.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1347276261513715713
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2021, 01:40 PM   #1045
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mull View Post
I am truly not sure how I feel. He did horrible things, but also served this country.

I don't respect him, or what he did, but I get pretty blinded by the whole "veterans deserve respect for the time they served".

Good point though.
Really, you don't know how you should feel? You should hate him for raping, torturing, and murdering innocent women.

I guarantee you that no one in the Canadian military has an once of respect for him regardless of his service.
Old 01-07-2021, 01:41 PM   #1046
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Nooooooo, that's so embarrassing for us.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 01:41 PM   #1047
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Really, you don't know how you should feel? You should hate him for raping, torturing, and murdering innocent women.

I guarantee you that no one in the Canadian military has an once of respect for him regardless of his service.
I didn't say I didn't hate him for what he did.
Old 01-07-2021, 01:42 PM   #1048
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
How the Hell did he get there? That Border is still supposed to be closed.

Dont drag us into this!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 01:42 PM   #1049
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
How the Hell did he get there? That Border is still supposed to be closed.

Dont drag us into this!
The border is only closed in one direction by air.
Old 01-07-2021, 01:42 PM   #1050
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
NSFW for language, Joe Scarborough loses his s--t on the Capitol police.
https://twitter.com/user/status/1347175550255853569

I don't follow MSNBC but all of a sudden I like Joe Scarborough. What a great rant. Made even better by the audible gasp from his co-anchor after he drops the f-bomb.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 01:43 PM   #1051
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
Jason Kenney refused to condemn this protest yesterday on his FB Live act because he "hadn't seen it", so I'm sure he'll be quick to come out against these losers now that he's had a chance to study the issue!
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 01:45 PM   #1052
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames0910 View Post
Jason Kenney refused to condemn this protest yesterday on his FB Live show because he "hadn't seen it", so I'm sure he'll be quick to come out against these losers now that he's had a chance to study the issue!
Lol. Explains his five day absence. He was in DC with the mob!
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 01:45 PM   #1053
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliver View Post
nooooooo, that's so embarrassing for us.
C=NG
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 01:46 PM   #1054
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Also, there are people that serve with tremendous courage, valour and selflessness, but they are placed on the same pedestal as the mail clerk that gave people their care packages at a base in San Diego. Thanking every soldier is a hollow gesture and reminiscent of a participation award.
I served in the Canadian Forces from 1998-2002. I was in the Reserves while I was a university student. For me, it was a part-time job (one night a week, one weekend a month, and two months during the summer) to help pay for my education and maybe earn a bit of beer money. I was never deployed to an overseas combat zone. My time in the military wasn't entirely without risk of injury or death, but it was no more dangerous than any other job that involves working around heavy machinery.

I'm proud of the time I spend in the Forces and the excellent training I received as a young man that played a significant part in shaping the person I am today. I still include it on my resume nearly two decades later. But there are some people who, upon learning of this part-time job I had ~20 years ago, get completely weird about it, making a big showy display of shaking my hand and thanking me for my service. I find it super creepy and off-putting.
MarchHare is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MarchHare For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2021, 01:47 PM   #1055
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
C=NG
Starting to lean that way first kenney now this ..... do better calgary!!!! Jk... kind of
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 01:48 PM   #1056
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mull View Post
The border is only closed in one direction by air.
Sounds like he's their problem now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post
I served in the Canadian Forces from 1998-2002. I was in the Reserves while I was a university student. For me, it was a part-time job (one night a week, one weekend a month, and two months during the summer) to help pay for my education and maybe earn a bit of beer money. I was never deployed to an overseas combat zone. My time in the military wasn't entirely without risk of injury or death, but it was no more dangerous than any other job that involves working around heavy machinery.

I'm proud of the time I spend in the Forces and the excellent training I received as a young man that played a significant part in shaping the person I am today. I still include it on my resume nearly two decades later. But there are some people who, upon learning of this part-time job I had ~20 years ago, get completely weird about it, making a big showy display of shaking my hand and thanking me for my service. I find it super creepy and off-putting.
You wouldnt happen to have spent your time hosing stains off a monument would you?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 01:49 PM   #1057
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nvm
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 01:51 PM   #1058
Pointman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Terrorism is defined by the US Code as being premeditated, politically motivated violence perpetrated against noncombatant targets by subnational groups or clandestine agents

premeditated - check.
politically motivated violence - check.
against noncombatant targets - check.
subnational group - check.

She met every criteria possible to be a terrorist, I can only assume anyone arguing differently believes that there is a requirement to be non-white. The video shows she had a backpack, the video shows her trying to get to her targets, her tweets (after the fact) shows her intentions. This was a terrorist killed, unless you also believe someone draped in an ISIS flag running at the president with a backpack should be allowed to do so, then you shouldn't have a problem with her shooting. As unfortunate as it is.
I by no means defend this woman nor MAGAs in general, but it is weird definition of terrorism. Act of terrorism is an act which main and usually only objective is to, well, terrorize public. It usually involves mass shooting or bombing, sometimes in spectacular fashion (jet crashing into a tower) and it doesn't have to be politically motivated. In fact, motives are irrelevant since terrorism is essentially a war tactic, that can be used to achieve different goals. What that woman was doing was a coup, treason, crime, whatever. But her goal was to change the election outcome, not to terrorize anyone. And again, I am not trying to defend her at all.
Pointman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 01:52 PM   #1059
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Meanwhile, Trump is handing out Medals of Freedom to golfers... because why not.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...babe-zaharias/

Annika is deservedly getting a lot of push back on Twitter for this.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 01:52 PM   #1060
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Sounds like he's their problem now...
Hell, even Republicans would probably find it pretty convenient to single out a 'foreign agitator' as part of the reason that the 'true patriots' ended up going further than they should have.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote