Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2023, 09:52 AM   #6561
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

It used to be wise to not buy games at launch and just wait for some kind of sale a few months down the road. Now it's almost required to wait for the sale just so you can get a complete game. There's just zero reason to buy anything at launch right now
Hemi-Cuda is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2023, 09:53 AM   #6562
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Especially when basically everyone has a backlog of games sitting in their Steam account untouched.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2023, 10:02 AM   #6563
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gamepass has made it unnecessary to really buy any game TBH
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2023, 10:35 AM   #6564
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

All I really care about in the AAA space is Sony and Nintendo, with a side of Square Enix.

GamePass has really started to lose its sheen with Microsoft's non-existent line-up (and disappointments when they do finally release something) and the bigger indie devs figuring out they'll make more money just selling the games on Switch / PS. It's great if all you want to play is 7/10 indies and AA games I guess.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2023, 10:54 AM   #6565
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
All I really care about in the AAA space is Sony and Nintendo, with a side of Square Enix.

GamePass has really started to lose its sheen with Microsoft's non-existent line-up (and disappointments when they do finally release something) and the bigger indie devs figuring out they'll make more money just selling the games on Switch / PS. It's great if all you want to play is 7/10 indies and AA games I guess.
This is true...although depends how you paid for Gamepass I guess.

I was able to get some cheap Xbox Live tokens then convert it for a $1, but yeah if you are paying the full price for Gamepass it's probably starting to lose it's sheen a bit for sure.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 03:02 PM   #6566
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
It used to be wise to not buy games at launch and just wait for some kind of sale a few months down the road. Now it's almost required to wait for the sale just so you can get a complete game. There's just zero reason to buy anything at launch right now
I mean, we also all know that gamepass also hurts game sales (and developer revenue).

And the state of things at launch almost seems like a self fulfilling prophecy these days.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 03:24 PM   #6567
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

The gameplay examples shown are bad. Painful.

"Being limited to 30 fps is the least of this game's problems. No amount of patching can save Redfall; it is utterly unsalvageable."

Crazy to see that people are basically asking Arkane to not to spend any more time or effort trying to patch the game. That they would be better off directing it to their next project instead.

Last edited by chemgear; 05-03-2023 at 03:32 PM.
Old 05-04-2023, 02:09 AM   #6568
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
The gameplay examples shown are bad. Painful.

"Being limited to 30 fps is the least of this game's problems. No amount of patching can save Redfall; it is utterly unsalvageable."

Crazy to see that people are basically asking Arkane to not to spend any more time or effort trying to patch the game. That they would be better off directing it to their next project instead.

The reviewer did a great job. I've never laughed so hard at a stealth kill animation before.

Dammit, the rook strategy woke up my kids.

Last edited by DoubleF; 05-04-2023 at 02:21 AM.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 10:26 AM   #6569
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wasn't going to play that regardless, so I'm glad it's terrible because Bethesda deserves what it gets at this point. Awful developer just from a quality of product standpoint.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2023, 11:44 AM   #6570
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post

I have been barely buying games lately because of gamepass. Atomic Heart, Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty, A Plague Tale: Requiem, Metal Hellsinger, Scorn, High on Life, etc are games I have enjoyed over the last 6 months. Sure they aren't AAA games but I enjoyed some of these games more than AAA games such as Horizon Forbidden West.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 12:17 PM   #6571
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I have been barely buying games lately because of gamepass. Atomic Heart, Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty, A Plague Tale: Requiem, Metal Hellsinger, Scorn, High on Life, etc are games I have enjoyed over the last 6 months. Sure they aren't AAA games but I enjoyed some of these games more than AAA games such as Horizon Forbidden West.
MS has stated that gamepass canniblizes sales, just like how streaming has killed DVD Sales.

Most people don’t buy games they can stream, especially casuals. This has allowed games to be shipped in bad shape because… Gamepass
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 12:57 PM   #6572
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are you really blaming Gamepass for games releasing unfinished?
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 01:08 PM   #6573
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I wasn't going to play that regardless, so I'm glad it's terrible because Bethesda deserves what it gets at this point. Awful developer just from a quality of product standpoint.
Bethesda is the publisher, not the developer.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 01:21 PM   #6574
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't think it's much of a stretch at all.

How many times do you hear about people saying a game isn't that good, but it's on gamepass so that's okay. Or that they'll wait for it to show up how on gamepass to try it.

EDIT: Not to single you out as I think the sentiment is pretty widespread but I just searched for "quality and gamepass" in this thread:

Quote:
Sounds like the Callisto Protocol falls short of Dead Space quality given the tepid reviews. Too bad but I will still try it when it's on sale or Gamepass.
I usually react the same to such middling games like everybody else with it comes to such services.

End of Edit.

The headline from Engadget seems demonstrable.

https://www.engadget.com/redfall-rev...000641521.html

'Redfall' review: Good enough for Game Pass

This isn't early access, but it sure feels like it.

Last edited by chemgear; 05-04-2023 at 01:50 PM.
Old 05-04-2023, 02:26 PM   #6575
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not sure if this was directed at me? I merely restated what Xbox said, which was Gamepass cannibalizes sales. People are less likely to buy a games they already get through subscribing to gamepass.

Buggy game releases are the fault of the publisher. Full stop. This is why they do beta testing, QA/QC, to prevent buggy game releases.

Whether Gamepass has exacerbated this issue is up for debate, but it’s something lots of writers are bringing up…PC releases have in particular reviewed like early access games
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 02:37 PM   #6576
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah I mean... that's a whole lot of 7/10 AA games.

Horizon Forbidden West is a 7/10 AAA game though, lol.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 02:49 PM   #6577
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Bethesda is the publisher, not the developer.
Whatever the difference in distinction is... there's way too much stuff out there that's a steaming pile of #### with Bethesda's name on it.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 07:15 PM   #6578
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Whatever the difference in distinction is... there's way too much stuff out there that's a steaming pile of #### with Bethesda's name on it.
Which should probably be alarming considering they’ve released better games as a publisher than as a developer since what… Skyrim? Close to at least.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2023, 08:45 PM   #6579
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Physical copies of Tears of the Kingdom were leaked, and there's some interesting and exciting changes coming. Won't say much more but here's a rundown of the leaks.

Lots of spoilers in here so read at your own discretion:

Last edited by PaperBagger'14; 05-04-2023 at 08:51 PM.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 09:22 AM   #6580
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

For myself with Jedi Survivor I don't get a lot of free alone time to play games like that, so the launch day actually lined up with a day I could dedicate 3 hours to gaming. So I bought it, and played those hours, and it was glorious. Glitchiness aside I don't really play enough games to understand how bad it was I guess..

I mean the last single player game I bought was the Tactics Ogre remake and before that, Jedi: Fallen Order lol..