Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2023, 07:22 AM   #6481
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
The lack of exclusives is a big deal though, it's what has them firmly in third place and spending billions trying to buy big exclusives to claw out of it. It's the one thing their competitors excel at. This gen has played out almost exactly like last so far, where the built in Xbox audience of 20-30 million pick up the console in the first couple years, then it falls way, way behind Sony as time goes on.

Their Game Pass numbers aren't where they want them to be either:

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/...-year-running/

Why? Well, the big draw is exclusive first party games coming on day one, which there hasn't been any of note recently. There's only so many people and so long they'll subscribe for to play indie games and AA's -- and now Sony is offering a decent version of that service too.

I don't think Starfield being a bomb is a make or break for a company with as much money as MS, but they really need something to start shifting the narrative and driving people to the Xbox / Game Pass platform, and everything else they're working seems years away at this point. And no, it's not just about the games and selling games, otherwise it would be on PS5 too.
I'm still of the belief that Microsoft will be the last man standing in all this video game stuff once we get past the days of consoles and move towards cloud based gaming and Smart TV gaming, etc. They now own a significant portion of the AAA game franchises and that's where the money is at.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 11:35 AM   #6482
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I'm still of the belief that Microsoft will be the last man standing in all this video game stuff once we get past the days of consoles and move towards cloud based gaming and Smart TV gaming, etc. They now own a significant portion of the AAA game franchises and that's where the money is at.
I don't think that time is anywhere close, people have been prognosticating the death of game consoles for at least 15 years and they're doing better now than ever. Nobody wants to stream games.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2023, 12:35 PM   #6483
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Nobody wants to stream games.
I have Bell MTS Gigabit Fibe and would still rather download games than stream. The only benefit to me and streaming is I can use the Classics catalog on PS+ because there's no other option.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 12:36 PM   #6484
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I don't think that time is anywhere close, people have been prognosticating the death of game consoles for at least 15 years and they're doing better now than ever. Nobody wants to stream games.

I think it will be sooner than later.

10-15 years ago nobody wanted to stream movies, either. Who's even left that sells physical media today? Sunrise Records, Walmart? Amazon? Discs have become incredibly niche.

We're headed that way with games. Toys R Us is out, GameStop and Best Buy aren't long for this world, if Walmart pulled the plug that would basically be the death of physical media on the brick and mortar front. Game companies are already halfway there with regard to digital distribution/streaming, and the track is laid to go all out.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 12:45 PM   #6485
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
I think it will be sooner than later.

10-15 years ago nobody wanted to stream movies, either. Who's even left that sells physical media today? Sunrise Records, Walmart? Amazon? Discs have become incredibly niche.

We're headed that way with games. Toys R Us is out, GameStop and Best Buy aren't long for this world, if Walmart pulled the plug that would basically be the death of physical media on the brick and mortar front. Game companies are already halfway there with regard to digital distribution/streaming, and the track is laid to go all out.
For sure I agree the death of physical games is on track in the next while -- but I said nobody wants to stream games, not that nobody wants to buy them digitally.

They've even had it working really well with Stadia and proved that nobody cares. There's just too many hurdles compared to TV / movie (latency, lag, huge bandwidth requirements) that are always going to be problems on the consumer side compared to just owning a game.
Old 04-05-2023, 12:52 PM   #6486
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

In fairness, the latency, lag and large bandwidth requirements indicate that it's not actually working really well yet. There's a threshold that needs to be cleared where it's easy and generally just works, and on the other side of it, streaming games might be a thing that gains traction. If you're an enthusiast you can already get great mileage out of it; e.g. having a desktop with a skookum GPU that you stream to your Steam Deck to save on battery.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 01:20 PM   #6487
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
I have Bell MTS Gigabit Fibe and would still rather download games than stream. The only benefit to me and streaming is I can use the Classics catalog on PS+ because there's no other option.
That's only true for PS3 games. You can download any PS1 or PS2 game on the classics catalog to your PS4/5 and play it locally
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 02:05 PM   #6488
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
In fairness, the latency, lag and large bandwidth requirements indicate that it's not actually working really well yet. There's a threshold that needs to be cleared where it's easy and generally just works, and on the other side of it, streaming games might be a thing that gains traction. If you're an enthusiast you can already get great mileage out of it; e.g. having a desktop with a skookum GPU that you stream to your Steam Deck to save on battery.
Streaming from my PC or my PS5 to my steam deck is so damn slick. The battery lasts forever and graphics look great.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 02:21 PM   #6489
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would do it all the time but I've tried multiple methods to get it so I can remotely turn on my PC or PS5 to use it to stream and then turn it off when I'm done and it's just never worked properly for me.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 03:29 PM   #6490
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah I agree. I've tried cloud streaming a few times and while it might work for some games, it doesn't for most. With good internet, input latency is very slight, but still extremely noticeable and jarring
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 03:56 PM   #6491
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Anyone have any recommendations for a good, newish, dystopian-leaning game on the Playstation? Something that might scratch a similar itch to Cyberpunk, Death Stranding, Stray, or Disco Elysium.

I haven’t seen a lot that interests me lately.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 04:04 PM   #6492
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Anyone have any recommendations for a good, newish, dystopian-leaning game on the Playstation? Something that might scratch a similar itch to Cyberpunk, Death Stranding, Stray, or Disco Elysium.

Deus Ex? Not sure if that counts as newish, last one was PS4 I think, but awesome series
Old 04-05-2023, 04:08 PM   #6493
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post

Dysmantle was my favorite game of last year and nobody has played it. Not nearly as much story as those but I really found it engaging and fun.

And a longer more in-depth look at it if you're interested:

The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2023, 04:10 PM   #6494
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Atomic Heart might scratch that itch for you as well
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2023, 04:19 PM   #6495
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 04:21 PM   #6496
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Deus Ex? Not sure if that counts as newish, last one was PS4 I think, but awesome series
Already played and loved those, definitely what I’m looking for though.

I’ll take a look at Dysmantle and Atomic Heart for sure.

Anything else? I guess a bit older is fine, too. I’ve been playing some older games and feel that anything pre-2016 or so starts to feel super dated and unplayable to me, but games after hold up more often than not.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 04:38 PM   #6497
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Dysmantle is great!

I saw reviews of Dredge and I may give that a try.
Old 04-05-2023, 04:51 PM   #6498
Slacker
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
I started playing this today and it's so much fun! It reminds me of a 3D version of Sunless Sea.

I almost sank my boat while fishing at night without lights
Slacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 05:13 PM   #6499
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slacker View Post
I started playing this today and it's so much fun! It reminds me of a 3D version of Sunless Sea.

I almost sank my boat while fishing at night without lights
I played the demo and was drawn in certainly.
Old 04-05-2023, 05:14 PM   #6500
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post: