Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 01:57 PM   #281
Chingas
First Line Centre

Exp:

I wonder if there is any way in the forum software to always hide or show different tagged items. That way all pictures could be tagged as either "pic", "gif" or "nsfw"and each user could set their preference. Those looking to minimise data usage could keep all hidden, while others could see all of them all of the time.

I imagine it would be possible as it is similar to an ignore poster function.

To the mods, thank you for your time, and to Bingo for selflessly providing all of us this great venue.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chingas For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2017, 02:10 PM   #282
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
I think the mods to a pretty good job at what is a thankless job. In my opinion there’s about 10-15 posters on this board that have absolutely ruined the essence and spirit of this board which is translating to discontent everywhere including at the moderators. We all know generally who they are, and they rarely ever talk about
Sports, if at all (always on the off topic board or in threads with a political component on FOI). Some have even showed up in this thread trying to derail it with their own political and sociological rhetoric.

Generally this a is a sports message board which has a few off topic sections for members to discuss non-sports related topics. Most posters are pretty die hard sports fans though probably just looking for a break from their daily routine for a few minutes and want to keep it civil and respectful. They are not looking for constant political correctness, they are not looking to write essays with APA style referencing, and they certainty don’t want to have a 15 page debate with people who post 50+ times a day who refuse to ever admit their might be another opinion, be it right or wrong. They get frustrated with it, snap on one of those handful of posters, and get infractions and sometimes sin bin visits while the prime agitators walk away happy as a pig in ####. That builds up a lot of resentment, and the resentment is carried forward to future threads, and towards the mod team.

Technically these agitators have broken no rules, but are they really adding anything To the board and the community? I think they are tearing it apart. I think the moderators should really start looking at that, and maybe it’s time to start showing a few the door regardless If technically they haven’t broken any rules for the better of the board as a whole.

There’s good debate, and then there’s Taking the opposite position of everyone else on every issue and arguing it to no end. In my mind that is simply trolling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
Old 11-16-2017, 02:14 PM   #283
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
The day the forum ever implements a Reddit style up/down vote system is the day I quit. You want chaos and overmoderation go take a look at Reddit.
Don't you remember the days of red-square-blue-square?

I kind of enjoyed going from neutral to red to neutral to blue to neutral to red...

Course, the reason CP dumped it was one of the reasons why it is problematic on Reddit... griefing.
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2017, 02:21 PM   #284
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

I love CP as much as anyone, but Reddit is the gold standard when it comes to an all-purpose discussion board. Moderation and chaos issues aside, there is a reason why it's so popular, and it's because of the commenting and discussion format.

I am sure it frustrates those who hate "drive-bys" though, which I thought was a weird complaint, considering Internet messages boards are on the Information Superhighway and Users are going 100 m/h at surfing to begin with.

That said, I enjoy the vBulletin platform. However, I think it is time for a GUI update with a responsive design framework.

Last edited by Ozy_Flame; 11-16-2017 at 02:24 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2017, 02:21 PM   #285
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

^
This is the kind of childish drivel that keeps articulate, thinking people away. Uncalled-for, unnecessary and ad hominem. You might think it's funny. It's not.

Last edited by taxbuster; 11-16-2017 at 04:00 PM. Reason: edit: Removed quote deleted by Mods so as not to give life to it.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to taxbuster For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2017, 02:23 PM   #286
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxbuster View Post
^
This is the kind of childish drivel that keeps articulate, thinking people away. Uncalled-for, unnecessary and ad hominem. You might think it's funny. It's not.
I like how his posts are just straight up deleted as though they never even existed, rather than just edited out. It's happened once in this thread already.

If you edit the quote out... it'd be as if he never lashed out at all! Brilliant.
Old 11-16-2017, 03:01 PM   #287
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

If we get any mods I would vote for a kind of 'night-vision' (night-mode?) one where the background and text is different colour that makes it easier to read when the room light is dim or late at night.
Old 11-16-2017, 03:04 PM   #288
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
I like how his posts are just straight up deleted as though they never even existed, rather than just edited out. It's happened once in this thread already.

If you edit the quote out... it'd be as if he never lashed out at all! Brilliant.
The only problem is then the responses don't make sense to the people who read later. I have no idea who taxbuster was responding to. Could someone enlighten me?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikephoen For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2017, 03:09 PM   #289
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckedoff View Post
If we get any mods I would vote for a kind of 'night-vision' (night-mode?) one where the background and text is different colour that makes it easier to read when the room light is dim or late at night.
depending on your browser...

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...nedfcdnc?hl=en
Old 11-16-2017, 03:50 PM   #290
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just a quick touch on the topic of knowing who the mods and admins/owners are...in a lot of other forum software (SMF is just one example), there is the ability to assign a specific color to mods as they appear in the "who's online" area, to distinguish them from other regular posters; I've seen a bit of a legend in the who's online area that even differentiates the colors by the person's assigned role on the forum. So if Bingo was online, and his specific color was red, in the who's online area his name would appear red whilst all of ours would be black and the legend would indicate that names in red mean the person is the owner/admin. Mods may be purple, for example, and so their names would appear purple in the who's online area, distinguishing them from the rest of us, and the legend would again indicate that purple meant their role was that of a mod.

I imagine that vBulletin has something similar or even the same but again, it's been eons since I set up a vBulletin forum; would be an easy enough modification though, I would imagine. This might be something easily considered to put paid to the "I have no idea who the moderators are" situation?

Now, back to your regularly scheduled carrying on.
Old 11-16-2017, 04:02 PM   #291
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikephoen View Post
The only problem is then the responses don't make sense to the people who read later. I have no idea who taxbuster was responding to. Could someone enlighten me?
See your PMs.
The Following User Says Thank You to taxbuster For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2017, 04:56 PM   #292
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
Generally this a is a sports message board which has a few off topic sections for members to discuss non-sports related topics. Most posters are pretty die hard sports fans though probably just looking for a break from their daily routine for a few minutes and want to keep it civil and respectful. They are not looking for constant political correctness, they are not looking to write essays with APA style referencing, and they certainty don’t want to have a 15 page debate with people who post 50+ times a day who refuse to ever admit their might be another opinion, be it right or wrong. They get frustrated with it, snap on one of those handful of posters, and get infractions and sometimes sin bin visits while the prime agitators walk away happy as a pig in ####. That builds up a lot of resentment, and the resentment is carried forward to future threads, and towards the mod team.
The pretty easy solution to not engaging in a political debate is to just not post your opinion. Are you suggesting that the political threads should just be hot take after hot take without any kind of scrutiny or back and forth? Bad and unsupported ideas should just be left unchallenged because "everyone has a right to their own opinion?" Would you apply the same standard to me if I popped up in FoI and repeated some ridiculous mantra about Matt Stajan being a better player than McDavid?

I get not wanting to take the time to respond to one of CHL's or New Era's dissertations, but no one is forcing anyone to. When I see a wall of text, I tend to just scroll past it even if I was already engaging the poster prior to that. I don't really see the debates on CP as competitions, but if they somehow see a non-response to their essays as a win, then good for them.
Old 11-16-2017, 05:07 PM   #293
Hey Connor, It's Mess
First Line Centre

Exp:

People take the internet too seriously.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Hey Connor, It's Mess For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2017, 05:14 PM   #294
RichKlit
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

People take themselves and everyone else to seriously. (Myself included)
Old 11-16-2017, 05:23 PM   #295
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I must also be in the minority that was not offended by the You Lose thread. Enjoyed stopping by now and then. Figured those that didn't want to simply didn't have to.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Manhattanboy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2017, 05:40 PM   #296
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
I must also be in the minority that was not offended by the You Lose thread. Enjoyed stopping by now and then. Figured those that didn't want to simply didn't have to.
Well, Manhattanboy, it's not particularly surprising that you weren't personally offended.
Old 11-16-2017, 05:48 PM   #297
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

There's a lot to read and digest in this thread. I'm not going to comment on everything but I will on this point:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellanor View Post
I like the idea of more transparency when there's mod edits. Even if it just gives a little context so I can make sense of the follow up comments.
In the spirit of being transparent I admit a lot of times you see that it's probably me. And I don't do it to hide anything or trying to be difficult, it's usually done when I'm in a rush or when there's a lot to look through (like game threads) and I don't want a post I feel isn't contributing to be quoted numerous times and then have to edit those posts as well. But I understand where those complaints are coming from and I will try a little better to make a comment on why the post was edited from here on out.
The Following User Says Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2017, 05:57 PM   #298
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I have nothing useful to contribute.

Spoiler!
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2017, 06:04 PM   #299
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
And I don't do it to hide anything or trying to be difficult, it's usually done when I'm in a rush or when there's a lot to look through (like game threads) and I don't want a post I feel isn't contributing to be quoted numerous times and then have to edit those posts as well.
Perhaps you can do a first quick edit to something generic like "MOD - deleted", hit save quickly like you'd normally do, then edit it again to give inappropriateness reasons? Would alleviate the quotation issue a lot with little additional effort.
Old 11-16-2017, 06:09 PM   #300
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thank you to the moderator team. It's a thankless job.

I want to use this opportunity to say this site is by far my favourite online community I've ever posted (or mostly lurk) at.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Deegee For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread