Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2018, 12:49 PM   #21
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Yes I know, but they have painted themselves in a corner.

Win and you're in is a good message for the team. Playing Smith because he is the '#1' is a big part of the current problem with this team (not saying it's Smith's fault) and I want to see the team dynamics more focused on winning than seniority.
See, and I hate this, not your opinion because I think you're right and I agree with you, but the Flames always do this, they get off to a dismal start and then are forced to ride their #1 hard all through the stretch to try and make the playoffs and then hes a total burnout when the playoffs start.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 12:53 PM   #22
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

I really like Rittich, always have since we have signed him, and I think he's done great, however he's only played 5 games and I'd rather gradually bring him into a bigger role. Smith is still the guy that should and will play the majority of the games.
savardandjokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 12:56 PM   #23
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild GM View Post
But he is getting a chance. Every game and every practice.
But you don't displace a #1 overnight. Particularly when that #1 hasn't done anything to lose the job.
All he's doing is winning and getting better. The better he gets, the more chances you give him. He's not going to be able to just take the starting job, he'll have to steal it and he'll have to play out of his mind to do it. But if he has an amazing game...you have to give him another one and if he plays amazingly again, what do you do?
Old 01-06-2018, 01:09 PM   #24
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Again, I agree he should play more, in part to give Smith rest.
However Smith is also a guy that historically thrives with a lot of action.
So if Rittich has a good game, I feel more confident in him and try to get him another start sooner than perhaps originally planned.
But I also don't over-rotate to a play until you lose approach.
Whatever they are doing right now has two goalies playing well. So why change approach?
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2018, 02:22 PM   #25
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well the current approach would have Smith play about 70 games which seems like most people concede would be a problem. Unfortunately that's the way it's going to have to be IMO. Flames can't save anyone for a playoffs because of position they have put themselves in. If Smith is ineffective at end of year you deal with it then (and hopefully before you are losing in game 4 of a series in which you are down 3 games to zero).
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 02:50 PM   #26
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

Man I'm glad we can actually have a conversation about being able to use BOTH goalies without fear.

We're damn lucky to have the 2 goalies we have and not the tire fire we see elsewhere in the league (looks north)

If we can just get the rest of the team to show up for 60 minutes every game....then Glen won't have to throw sticks and use bad words......it hurts peoples feelings ya know.
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 02:54 PM   #27
Fan in Exile
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Smith has played well and he's the clear #1. But his stats have been slipping, he's playing a number of games that tends to wear goalies down, he's projected to play more than his career high and our backup has not yet in a single instance lessened the team's chance to win. It's smart to play him a little more often. Can't understand why it's in dispute.
Fan in Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 02:58 PM   #28
Duffalufagus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Rittich is a rookie. He might get five more starts. And that is perfect. Smith has been the team MVP this year. You don’t tell your team mvp “hey, the rook won a game so he’s going back in”. That’s not how this works and it would be the fastest way to lose the room.

Win and keep playing ain’t happening nor should it.
Duffalufagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Duffalufagus For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2018, 02:59 PM   #29
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan in Exile View Post
Smith has played well and he's the clear #1. But his stats have been slipping, he's playing a number of games that tends to wear goalies down, he's projected to play more than his career high and our backup has not yet in a single instance lessened the team's chance to win. It's smart to play him a little more often. Can't understand why it's in dispute.
I don't think it is. And I think I've clear on that to the point that I've said that he should play more. What I was disagreeing with is moving all the way to a scenario typically reserved for teams that run a tandem 1a/1b type of situation.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2018, 03:05 PM   #30
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wasn't ok with playing Rittich more but now I am. His first game he was Ok but the Flames really protected him well and I thought his puck tracking was a little off. But now he's really quite good at tracking and I'm very comfortable with him in net.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 03:05 PM   #31
Fan in Exile
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild GM View Post
I don't think it is. And I think I've clear on that to the point that I've said that he should play more. What I was disagreeing with is moving all the way to a scenario typically reserved for teams that run a tandem 1a/1b type of situation.
1000% certain Gulutzan doesn't move to win and in. Whatever the rest of us might do hypothetically, GG is not a coach who has ever put an "unproven" player in too great a role too quickly. I think the bigger concern is that he's going to overplay Smith to the point where he becomes less effective and then Rittich is put in the position of having to shoulder too much of the load. Hopefully he makes the subtle corrections merited soon.

Last edited by Fan in Exile; 01-06-2018 at 03:09 PM.
Old 01-06-2018, 03:11 PM   #32
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
1000% certain Gulutzan doesn't move to win and in. Whatever the rest of us might do hypothetically, GG is not a coach who has ever put an "unproven" player in too great a role too quickly. I think the bigger concern is that he's going to overplay Smith to the point where he becomes less effective and then Rittich is put in the position of having to shoulder too much of the load. Hopefully he makes the subtle corrections merited soon.
Since Rittich came in and played well, he's been given fairly standard backup starts.
Old 01-06-2018, 03:14 PM   #33
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

There are plenty of back-to-backs left in the Flames schedule. I'm fine with Rittich getting half that workload.
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 03:17 PM   #34
Fan in Exile
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Since Rittich came in and played well, he's been given fairly standard backup starts.
He's only been started in the front or back game of back-to-backs. I think GG should make sure he gets in a little more often than that.
Old 01-06-2018, 03:22 PM   #35
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He's only been started in the front or back game of back-to-backs. I think GG should make sure he gets in a little more often than that.
Yup.

So far he has been in 65-70 / 12-17 mode

We need to move into a 60-65 / 17-22 mode at the very least, if not a 55-60 / 22-27 pace.

Smith is too old for the current pace.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 03:26 PM   #36
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Yup.

So far he has been in 65-70 / 12-17 mode

We need to move into a 60-65 / 17-22 mode at the very least, if not a 55-60 / 22-27 pace.

Smith is too old for the current pace.
Agreed. I also find it interesting that Treliving believed that for someone Smith's age he had a 'low odometer' but we're really racking up his mileage at the moment.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 03:42 PM   #37
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sure, but they've been had quite a few of those since he came in. Four I think.
Old 01-06-2018, 03:58 PM   #38
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Smith is still the best chance to win...Rittich has played 5 games, 4 against bad teams...any chance of Smith having an easier workload evaporated when Lack blew it. I honestly don't think some of you realize the dire straights the Flames are in here. I will be exstatic if our biggest worry is Smith being tired heading into the playoffs.

Rittich will get some games but the pace is out the window
Old 01-06-2018, 04:26 PM   #39
JT96912
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I love that this is not the position beating us this year. Smith has probably 10 or more points that can be credited to his outstanding play alone. Rittich has looked great in a backup role. If it was me, I'd schedule out from here 65 or so starts for Smith and hand the rest over to Rittich. It really shouldn't be that complicated, just schedule it out for the rest of the season barring any injuries.
JT96912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 05:01 PM   #40
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Smith is still the best chance to win...Rittich has played 5 games, 4 against bad teams...any chance of Smith having an easier workload evaporated when Lack blew it. I honestly don't think some of you realize the dire straights the Flames are in here. I will be exstatic if our biggest worry is Smith being tired heading into the playoffs.

Rittich will get some games but the pace is out the window
Rittich has 4 starts, 2 against teams above the Flames in the standings and 2 against teams who are below the Flames. His 5th game was after Smith let in 5 in the first 2 periods, it was not a start.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote