Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 06:04 AM   #1
HalifaxDrunk
#2 960 Prankster

Exp:
Icon30 GTD - Panthers vs Flames - 7:00 - SN1

I'm out shoveling heavy snow, no time for usual research/stats. Time to right the ship, it's the return of the GTD.

Old 01-13-2016, 06:29 AM   #2
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

6-2 Flames. Jagr scores 2, Johnny scores 3
Old 01-13-2016, 06:42 AM   #3
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Borax has been sitting idle long enough:

Spoiler!

Go Flames

- Surferguy
Old 01-13-2016, 07:20 AM   #4
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

The time has come to put the third jerseys back on. Undefeated in them and they need a win! Flames take this one 4-1
Old 01-13-2016, 07:27 AM   #5
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

One of the only times this year my loyalties are split. I would like to see the Flames get back in the race, but I'm just not sure it's in the cards this year. The Panthers have a 6 point lead in the division, so they could probably handle the loss better, but I don't want to see them start a losing streak either.

I'll probably be happy and sad either way after this game.

If you haven't watched the Panthers much this year, look out for the Huberdeau-Barkov-Jagr line. They have been downright dominant this year. But the Trocheck line has also been very good, and he's been a good replacement for Bjugstad as he was injured for quite a while and is just now finding his game again. Luongo is an all-star for a reason this year, he's been excellent, but the team has been excellent defensively all year. They are tied for first in GA/G. However, no word on Ekblad returning tonight after he sat out against Vancouver. It may have been precautionary anyways, but if he can't go Steven Kampfer will slot in.

They hit a lull in play after such a long winning streak, but Gallant does not let them stay stuck in poor play very long. But a long road trip covering most of Canada might mean they'll stay in their lull until they get back home.

It would be nice if the Flames could play a consistent game for once. The Panthers have been capitalizing on just about every chance they get lately, so the Flames need to be sharp defensively, and patient offensively.

Either way it should be a classic Panthers/Flames disorganized mess of a game. No idea why it's so sloppy when these teams play each other.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2016, 08:40 AM   #6
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

BTW, if anyone has any specific questions about the Panthers and their players, please ask. I'll do my best to answer.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2016, 08:41 AM   #7
HalifaxDrunk
#2 960 Prankster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Blah, blah, blah...
Don't you just hate when some no-name poster fan of another team rears their ugly head before a game just to spout off, then they just disappear. Just another CDC paste eating troll.
The Following User Says Thank You to HalifaxDrunk For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2016, 08:45 AM   #8
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxDrunk View Post
Don't you just hate when some no-name poster fan of another team rears their ugly head before a game just to spout off, then they just disappear. Just another CDC paste eating troll.
I guess the mods are never going to change my name back with what I wrote today.
Old 01-13-2016, 08:45 AM   #9
Benched
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Dear Cali Panthers Fan,

First, a long time fan, but the first time I've written into your hotline. Let me begin by saying that I love your icon, great update!

I have been struggling for awhile now trying to determine where Florida's defense is going. Ekblad is obviously the future, but how is the D core looking overall. How many years does Mitchell have left in him? Is Brian Campbell still relevant? Anything coming down the pipe?

I would also enjoy reading your thoughts on Trochek. Picked him up this year in our office pool, and he puts up pts now and then, but I have not honestly watched his gameplay. Any comparables you could help me with.

Lastly and most importantly, who has the best flow on the team? Jagr is bringing the mullet back I hear, but Luongo has that great greasy mess. Please answer this burning question.

Thanks for you time.

Your most faithful follower,

~Benched
Old 01-13-2016, 08:50 AM   #10
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have to give Cali some credit. Even though nobody cares about the Panthers and all the media is saying they are the unexpected shock of the season, Cali was actually telling us they would be good last year.
Old 01-13-2016, 09:00 AM   #11
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought Florida would make the playoffs, but a 12 game winning streak and being 1st in their division in January? Nobody saw that coming.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to codynw For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2016, 09:02 AM   #12
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benched View Post
Dear Cali Panthers Fan,

First, a long time fan, but the first time I've written into your hotline. Let me begin by saying that I love your icon, great update!

I have been struggling for awhile now trying to determine where Florida's defense is going. Ekblad is obviously the future, but how is the D core looking overall. How many years does Mitchell have left in him? Is Brian Campbell still relevant? Anything coming down the pipe?
They were probably hoping for Dylan Olsen to be a regular, but his game has regressed and is probably a career 'tweener now. They still have two very solid prospects in Michael Matheson and Ian McCoshen, but both are playing in the NCAA and probably won't sign until after this year. Mackenzie Weegar is close, but needs seasoning in the minors. He's a decent puck mover and a little undersized, but could be a good replacement for Brian Campbell when he moves on.

As for Campbell, he's still effective, but he's always been a little soft for my liking. He can still get around the ice, but his shot has fallen way off, and his passing skills aren't exceptional anymore.

I think Mitchell has at least one more year in him if he wants to come back, and he's been an important leader for this team. Not only that, he's been an important teacher for the defense, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him coaching immediately after his playing career is over.

If you're asking me how the d-core looks going forward, you can pencil in Ekblad on the top pairing for years. Kulikov is a solid 3-4, and Gudbranson is a great 3rd pairing guy that can easily move up in the lineup when you need him to. As well, Petrovic has shown that he really belongs this year, and I see his upside as another 3-4 guy that could play well with Kulikov. So 4 of 6 guys are in the lineup long term, and they have 2 more solid prospects coming down the pipeline. Could probably use another depth guy at some point though.

Quote:
I would also enjoy reading your thoughts on Trochek. Picked him up this year in our office pool, and he puts up pts now and then, but I have not honestly watched his gameplay. Any comparables you could help me with.
Trocheck is very underrated. He's crafty, and skilled, but undersized. A poor man's Gaudreau if you will. He's a solid center who can handle secondary defensive assignments, and he's pretty good on the power play too. He's sort of the glue to the secondary attack, as he regularly sets up his line mates for great scoring chances. Pretty good on the forecheck too for a smaller guy. Someone to watch tonight if you haven't seen much of him before.

Quote:
Lastly and most importantly, who has the best flow on the team? Jagr is bringing the mullet back I hear, but Luongo has that great greasy mess. Please answer this burning question.

It's coming, but like all great things, it takes time.

Quote:
Thanks for you time.

Your most faithful follower,

~Benched
Thanks for writing!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2016, 09:16 AM   #13
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope these guys are at the game tonight.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2016, 09:16 AM   #14
Benched
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Thanks man!
Old 01-13-2016, 09:28 AM   #15
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
I hope these guys are at the game tonight.

y u no Florida travelling Jagrs?!?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2016, 09:35 AM   #16
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Forgot to mention, Gallant will not be there tonight as he is going back to attend his mother's funeral.

Sad, but advantage Flames.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 01-13-2016, 09:46 AM   #17
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope Jagr scores 5 goals to pass Brett Hull for 3rd on the all-time goal scoring list.

However, I hope Gaudreau, Monahan, Bennett, and Ferland all score 5 goals tonight and bankrupt Safeway.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2016, 09:54 AM   #18
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It's bugging me that I can't place who that is wearing 22 with an A on his jersey.
Old 01-13-2016, 09:58 AM   #19
Fire in the disco
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post
It's bugging me that I can't place who that is wearing 22 with an A on his jersey.
Looks like Stempniak
Old 01-13-2016, 09:59 AM   #20
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire in the disco View Post
Looks like Stempniak
Definitely Stempniak.
Closed Thread

Tags
gtd , winw , winwinwinwinwinwinwinwin