Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-01-2020, 12:18 PM   #21
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Is this really true though? There’s a reason you don’t see booming metropolises in the Arctic. Probably close to the same when it comes to “livable” land against population.
No, even when you consider the North to be mostly uninhabitable, Canada is monstrous next to the US and our population density still isn't even close.
Old 04-01-2020, 01:53 PM   #22
skeena1
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I find it really weird the coilers and Flames made their announcements with a couple of minutes of each other. Not trying to read anything into it, I'm sure they are likely on similar financial timelines.

Last edited by skeena1; 04-01-2020 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Spellin'
skeena1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 03:04 PM   #23
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeena1 View Post
I find it really weird the coilers and Flames made their announcements with a couple of minutes of each other. Not trying to read anything into it, I'm sure they are likely on similar financial timelines.
Would it be all that weird if closely related business leaders discussed how they were managing a crisis?

I think it would be weird if CSEC wasn't in contact with a bunch of different other sports organizations to discuss the best way to deal with this.
Old 04-02-2020, 12:59 AM   #24
skeena1
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
closely related business leaders

You mean competitors?

"Let's make sure neither one of us is nicer to our employees than the other one."
Old 04-02-2020, 01:42 PM   #25
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You mean competitors?

"Let's make sure neither one of us is nicer to our employees than the other one."
Sports leagues are cartels. They are competitors in entertainment, but ultimately it's in their best interest to coordinate on things such as PR and profitability. Basically everything outside of hockey operations there would be a large amount of cooperation on. It's not weird. If they coordinated to pay all their employees full salary and benefits through the crisis it would be a good thing. Maybe some teams will do that and the Flames and Oilers will wish they coordinated with those teams.

You could substitute coordinate for collude if you want. Again, it's cartel, they can basically do what they want.
Old 04-02-2020, 01:54 PM   #26
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Would it be all that weird if closely related business leaders discussed how they were managing a crisis?

I think it would be weird if CSEC wasn't in contact with a bunch of different other sports organizations to discuss the best way to deal with this.

I can picture the Flames calling and asking the Oilers for help.
"we um kinda screwed up the pay for hourly staff thing, can you help us out on this one?"

Considering the way the Oilers have been run over the past 15 years, it is kind of an amusing thought having the Flames potentially working with them.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 03:57 PM   #27
skeena1
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Sports leagues are cartels. They are competitors in entertainment, but ultimately it's in their best interest to coordinate on things such as PR and profitability. Basically everything outside of hockey operations there would be a large amount of cooperation on. It's not weird. If they coordinated to pay all their employees full salary and benefits through the crisis it would be a good thing. Maybe some teams will do that and the Flames and Oilers will wish they coordinated with those teams.

You could substitute coordinate for collude if you want. Again, it's cartel, they can basically do what they want.
Ask Major League Baseball how that collusion / cartel thing worked out for them.
Old 04-02-2020, 06:25 PM   #28
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ask Major League Baseball how that collusion / cartel thing worked out for them.
I never said it was good. Just not weird.

A sports league can't help but be a cartel. It just is.
Old 04-09-2020, 11:36 PM   #29
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1248484339475574792

Sounds like a bunch of them will be hired back.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post: