Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-13-2018, 09:00 AM   #21
verda13
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

There is a little play area by Gate D24... not a whole lot there, but was enough to amuse my 2 year old for an hour, and allowed me to sit down in 3 minute intervals.
verda13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 09:16 AM   #22
NuclearFart
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc-chris View Post

does pearson have any of those 'horizontal escalators' (i don't know what they are called... but i've seen them in airports - it's a moving sidewalk so you just stand there and the track takes you places). if they do, sit on the ground at the entrance to the moving sidewalk, place your son on the track facing you and say 'come to daddy' as you put him on the track. he will start walking towards you (which would be the opposite direction to the track) and with any luck will make up no ground at all. sit back and enjoy some special father-son time.
Good lord definitely DO NOT DO THIS, those moving sidewalks are very dangerous to toddlers! A friends toddler literally just had to get skin grafts + cast after their foot got caught and mangled in a moving sidewalk at the Vancouver airport.

As for killing time with a toddler at Pearson I would consider:

1) rent a room in the hotel and get them to nap
2) ride the interterminal Link train
3) Go find one of those old school arcades
4) Play in the kids "Comfy Cars" area
NuclearFart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 09:16 AM   #23
Rubicant
First Line Centre

Exp:

As long as your bags get checked through, I would recommend leaving the airport for downtown as others have recommended via the UP Express (a bit pricey but fast and direct to Union Station) to check out either Ripley's Aquarium, Hockey Hall of Fame or CN tower as these are all walking distance. Make sure to leave enough time to get back to Pearson to get through security and walk to your gate if you do this though...

If you will be too anxious about missing your flight, I would recommend eating at a restaurant there (that can kill some time) and honestly it's a really big terminal to explore. Just having them walk around can kill tons of time. Watch the planes take off and such.

I also like the idea of seeing whether you can pay to use the pool at the Sheraton (it's right at Terminal 3 and you can take a monorail to get there).
Rubicant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 09:22 AM   #24
loob job
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Waiting in the airport with little one's is the worst. You can only walk around so much and look at the airplanes, I have no ideas to help you, you are in trouble, that's all.
loob job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 09:29 AM   #25
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

I'm not really to worried about it to be honest, just looking for interesting ideas. My wife also suggested I take him to the Sheraton pool. He will get a kick out of the airplane spotting and the monorail which I plan to explore. I considered heading into the city but by the time I train it both ways and go to say the tower or ripleys that's a spendy adventure of which we did last year. If anything I'd go to the island.

I'm a stay at home dad so five hours in an airport,while difficult, can't be any worse than a sick kid on a -30 day in winter. At least I'm not stuck at home.

The scavenger hunt seems like a fun idea too.

Cheers for the help guys and keep the ideas coming.

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:01 AM   #26
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Ya, don't do that. Some people are using those things to get places, often in a hurry. It's not a place for toddlers to play.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuclearFart View Post
Good lord definitely DO NOT DO THIS, those moving sidewalks are very dangerous to toddlers! A friends toddler literally just had to get skin grafts + cast after their foot got caught and mangled in a moving sidewalk at the Vancouver airport.

sorry guys... i guess i should have used green text.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:20 AM   #27
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I thought it was obvious..
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:27 AM   #28
NuclearFart
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I'm glad you were joking and this is not directed at you, but you would be surprised what I've seen/heard parents encourage their kids to do.
NuclearFart is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NuclearFart For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2018, 04:03 PM   #29
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
When you go CGY-TOR then TOR-USA, you have to retrieve your bags, take them through US Customs, then check them back in. Same thing going the other way too.
I just went to the US through Toronto and back last week and never had to get my bags until my final destination. It was a pretty smooth process, honestly. Were you changing airlines or something?
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 04:10 PM   #30
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I just did Orlando to Toronto then Toronto to Edmonton and I never had to take my bags. It cleared all the way through
wooohooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 04:12 PM   #31
jar_e
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
When you go CGY-TOR then TOR-USA, you have to retrieve your bags, take them through US Customs, then check them back in. Same thing going the other way too.
To add to this, this has definitely not been my experience. You DO have to wait until your initials pop up on the screen then you can move towards customs but you definitely do not have to physically get your bag/re check it in. I do the YYC to DCA flight 1-2 times a month and have never had to do this.
jar_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 04:19 PM   #32
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Yeah the retrieving of baggage at Pearson for connections was phased out years ago. I believe that is also the case for most major airports in Canada.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 05:36 PM   #33
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Ya, don't do that. Some people are using those things to get places, often in a hurry. It's not a place for toddlers to play.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 12:51 PM   #34
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

if i was at person for five hours i would not consider leaving as i don't believe that it would be worth it.

* at least 40 minutes each way to travel x 2 maybe mroe if you have to wait for a train
* walking time from union station to where ever with a toddler x 2
* time to clear security again at person

to me you are looking at 3 hrs of effort for two hours of distraction and then if there are delays on the train or something.....
Old 06-14-2018, 01:51 PM   #35
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Yeah the retrieving of baggage at Pearson for connections was phased out years ago. I believe that is also the case for most major airports in Canada.
Ah, good to know, this was about 5 years ago now. And I have avoided any routes through Toronto since.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 03:59 PM   #36
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
if i was at person for five hours i would not consider leaving as i don't believe that it would be worth it.

* at least 40 minutes each way to travel x 2 maybe mroe if you have to wait for a train
* walking time from union station to where ever with a toddler x 2
* time to clear security again at person

to me you are looking at 3 hrs of effort for two hours of distraction and then if there are delays on the train or something.....
ABSOLUTELY DO NOT LEAVE! (Except for that immediate area, Sheraton, The Keg, Arizona Grill Lounge)
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 05:44 PM   #37
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Travelling with toddlers is hell. I'd cancel the trip. /thread
Old 06-14-2018, 09:06 PM   #38
Peanut
First Line Centre

Exp:

We had an unplanned 10-hour delay at Pearson last year, with a 7-year old, a vomiting 3-year old, and a 1 year old. It was... unpleasant, to say the least. Even just traveling between terminals to try and take my son to the airport doctor was a nightmare (we had all our bags and carseats too. Because we got kicked off the flight. Due to the sick child.).

ANYWAYS. I think the Sheraton or one of the other hotels right on the airport tram line are your best bet. Try and exercise them and save the shows for the flight. We visited both the Sheraton and another hotel during our illfortuned stay. I didn’t think to ask about the pools but it was nice to at least be out of the airport for a bit.
Old 06-18-2018, 04:55 PM   #39
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Well I'm here. Upgraded to an earlier flight. Only 2 more hours to burn

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 06:44 PM   #40
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has Air Canada kicked you in the nutz yet?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote