Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2020, 08:48 PM   #1241
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Russia pokes around the North all the time even with the US still on top. I foresee a day when they lay claim to a lot of land North of Canada, with military and then start moving south and testing more land and resource claims/take overs of actual Canada. Completely serious..
The way things are going, I'd more have my money on a radicalized U.S. taking us over first. Wait a few more decades until they really start running out of water. We have an awful lot of it right above them, and 1/10th the population..
Old 06-01-2020, 08:52 PM   #1242
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hmm yes definitely the far-left that is looking to cause the most pain

https://twitter.com/user/status/1267605285608345603

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
Old 06-01-2020, 08:55 PM   #1243
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
The ME revised its report already to say he died of a heart attack caused by the cop’s actions and called it homicide.

https://nypost.com/2020/06/01/offici...-floyds-death/

Good thing the independent autopsy was done in order to force this. What are the odds.

Yeah, the earlier reports on the Hennepin ME report seemed structured to give increased flexibility to the Defense. Suggesting underlying heart conditions, meth / fentanyl use, and still even at the point of revision, (once it’s pretty obvious that Chauvin isn’t getting off easily) landing on a heart attack rather than asphyxiation.

Would I be cynical to say I wouldn’t be be surprised to see a 20 dollar bill hanging out of the Hennepin ME’s pocket?
Old 06-01-2020, 09:03 PM   #1244
wittynickname
wittyusertitle

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Hmm yes definitely the far-left that is looking to cause the most pain

https://twitter.com/user/status/1267605285608345603

Yeah, a friend of mine lives in Minnesota and she's immunocompromised so she hasn't been protesting to protect her health, but she's been helping to coordinate protests and bail and stuff like that for days now, and there have been a ton of reports of visible white supremacists out and about, "Proud Boys" and the like. Not at all shocking that they would want to paint a mostly black protest as violent and out of control.

Also man, I know there's a lot of bad stuff happening right now but I've gotta admit, when I saw that guy's name, Chevy McGee, I definitely laughed.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to wittynickname For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2020, 09:04 PM   #1245
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
This should be each officer's responsibility to make sure their bodycams are working. If yours was not during your shift, you should be immediately suspended until it can be determined why it was off. If it is determined you knew it wasn't working and didn't report that, you should be terminated. If it can't be determined what happened or why it was off, that's a strike. Three strikes and you're fired.

It was surely an order from the top down. The officer would probably be suspended for turning the camera on. This whole situation rots from the top down.

Old 06-01-2020, 09:14 PM   #1246
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not a doctor obviously, but isn't cardiac arrest (and other organ failure) often the result of loss of blood flow?

It sounds like one side is saying the cause is asphyxiation while the other is saying the cause was the heart stopping (cardiac arrest) with "neck compression" (a nice way of saying asphyxiation I suppose) being a contributing factor.

It seems like the state medical examiner is trying to complicate things.
Old 06-01-2020, 09:16 PM   #1247
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I'm not a doctor obviously, but isn't cardiac arrest (and other organ failure) often the result of loss of blood flow?

It sounds like one side is saying the cause is asphyxiation while the other is saying the cause was the heart stopping (cardiac arrest) with "neck compression" (a nice way of saying asphyxiation I suppose) being a contributing factor.

Yes. If you can't breathe you will go into cardiac arrest.
Old 06-01-2020, 09:26 PM   #1248
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Well, cardiac arrest can be caused by many issues - electrical, high blood pressure, valve failures, etc. as well

Asphyxiation seems to be a lot more specific in a ME report than cardiac arrest, especially when the diagnosis of cardiac arrest is accompanied by other suggestions of underlying conditions, drug use, etc

Does that make sense? Asphyxiation ties the death a lot more directly to the specific actions of the cop than cardiac arrest
Old 06-01-2020, 09:26 PM   #1249
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seems very safe, hovering a medivac copter in an urban area to uh, disperse protestors.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1267638389421072384

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
Old 06-01-2020, 09:34 PM   #1250
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
This should be each officer's responsibility to make sure their bodycams are working. If yours was not during your shift, you should be immediately suspended until it can be determined why it was off. If it is determined you knew it wasn't working and didn't report that, you should be terminated. If it can't be determined what happened or why it was off, that's a strike. Three strikes and you're fired.

I was saying you shouldn't have immediately assumed the ME report was wrong simply because you wanted to see it arrive at a different result. I stand by that. Now that we have an independent report that draws a different conclusion, it's reasonable - now - to suggest that the original ME's report was wrong. At the time, that was pure motivated reasoning on your part, which, okay jayswin, mea culpa, I should have just said instead of calling it dumb. I will refrain from posting that Keanu gif again.

I will say, of course the family obtained its own medical expert to place fault 100% on the Police. That has to happen in order for them to obtain a civil judgment (or to apply pressure to obtain a settlement). That, of course, does not mean that this new report is wrong, or that the original MEs report is more credible, just that it was inevitable that this would be done at some point.

I'm actually inclined to believe that asphyxiation played a major role in the guy's death - more so than the ME's report suggested. I just was not willing to immediately assume the ME was making #### up or falsifying data to exonerate a police officer who no one thought was in the right for doing what he did, and you shouldn't have either. So, I don't think the gloating post is actually appropriate in the circumstances.
I don't think it was unreasonable to question that ME's report when it was first released and included such speculative language attributing death partially to drugs in the victim's system. I could not imagine that being in any properly professional report.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2020, 09:52 PM   #1251
Cliche
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1266946927658020864

https://twitter.com/user/status/1267134599307689989
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cliche For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2020, 09:59 PM   #1252
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Seems very safe, hovering a medivac copter in an urban area to uh, disperse protestors.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1267638389421072384
Yeah but how many ponies you think that beauty is pushing?

It’s so... forceful.
Old 06-01-2020, 10:09 PM   #1253
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post

A strange coincidence of death is that the heart stops.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Old 06-01-2020, 10:18 PM   #1254
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittynickname View Post
Also man, I know there's a lot of bad stuff happening right now but I've gotta admit, when I saw that guy's name, Chevy McGee, I definitely laughed.
Your MAGA name = one name from American Pie, one name from a Kristofferson song.

Ex. Jester Lobo
Flash Casey

Last edited by troutman; 06-01-2020 at 10:24 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2020, 10:35 PM   #1255
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watching people retort "Black Lives Matter" with "ALL LIVES MATTER" is so nauseating.

I heard someone express it like this - it'd be like going to an event to raise money or awareness about Pancreatic Cancer and then someone crashing in screaming "ALL CANCERS MATTER!!". It's just a dick move and so insensitive. Of course all cancers matter, and of course all lives matter, but we're talking about specific lives right now facing very serious and specific problems right now. So, yes BLACK LIVES MATTER.
Old 06-01-2020, 10:41 PM   #1256
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Everyone is wondering what can be done - Killer Mike on Colbert suggested a first step. Spend one hour watching the teachings of Jane Elliott on youtube.

She’s on Fallon right now.

Last edited by troutman; 06-01-2020 at 10:43 PM.
Old 06-01-2020, 10:47 PM   #1257
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
Watching people retort "Black Lives Matter" with "ALL LIVES MATTER" is so nauseating.

I heard someone express it like this - it'd be like going to an event to raise money or awareness about Pancreatic Cancer and then someone crashing in screaming "ALL CANCERS MATTER!!". It's just a dick move and so insensitive. Of course all cancers matter, and of course all lives matter, but we're talking about specific lives right now facing very serious and specific problems right now. So, yes BLACK LIVES MATTER.
If you pay attention, you'll see it mentioned here sometimes too!
Old 06-01-2020, 10:55 PM   #1258
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been thinking a lot about some of the endgame here with reform and changes needed as a productive fallout of this horrible event and time.

I thought the guest on the latest Five Thirty Eight Politics Podcast, Samuel Sinyangwe, had some really good data-backed solutions that are starting to prove out with good results.

Seemingly common sense tangible actions like Mandatory de-escalation practice, de-militarizing the equipment that police have access to. There are other things like qualified immunity, and union protection that make police feel invincible against consequence.

He says jurisdictions that have taken action on these fronts have seen reduced incidents of police violence. The overall numbers are flat, because although significant progress has been made in a lot of big cities, suburban and smaller cities and rural areas have seen increases.

His segments are a really good listen

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...lice-violence/

In the end, all this leads to meaningful change.
Old 06-01-2020, 11:07 PM   #1259
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
I've been thinking a lot about some of the endgame here with reform and changes needed as a productive fallout of this horrible event and time.

I thought the guest on the latest Five Thirty Eight Politics Podcast, Samuel Sinyangwe, had some really good data-backed solutions that are starting to prove out with good results.

Seemingly common sense tangible actions like Mandatory de-escalation practice, de-militarizing the equipment that police have access to. There are other things like qualified immunity, and union protection that make police feel invincible against consequence.

He says jurisdictions that have taken action on these fronts have seen reduced incidents of police violence. The overall numbers are flat, because although significant progress has been made in a lot of big cities, suburban and smaller cities and rural areas have seen increases.

His segments are a really good listen

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...lice-violence/

In the end, all this leads to meaningful change.
I've been mocking the CPS's need for the latest and greatest for over a decade. The two replacement choppers still cracks me up, re-ordering new squad cars and painting them in intimidating colours, so they look like they came out of robocop was a nice touch, and of course the heavily used armoured vehicle.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...hase-1.5090813

It's a constant game of one-upsmanship, veiled in "safety" and fear. What the CPS needs are accountants to fight financial crime, not boots on the street. Oh and a budget freeze for 5yrs+.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Rutuu For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2020, 11:12 PM   #1260
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutuu View Post
I've been mocking the CPS's need for the latest and greatest for over a decade. The two replacement choppers still cracks me up, re-ordering new squad cars and painting them in intimidating colours, so they look like they came out of robocop was a nice touch, and of course the heavily used armoured vehicle.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...hase-1.5090813

It's a constant game of one-upsmanship, veiled in "safety" and fear. What the CPS needs are accountants to fight financial crime, not boots on the street. Oh and a budget freeze for 5yrs+.
I too was publicly critical of the new cars and was basically called a panzy by Rick Bell. So, that was fun.
Closed Thread