Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

Closed Thread

Old 05-26-2020, 01:52 PM   #21
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trouble is they hire them straight out of the armed forces, frankly if there is a worse place to find a cop than the military at the best of times its hard to imagine (with no disrespect to very brave men and women intended), but these days when they have spent 4 or 5 years in a kill or be killed environment its absurd to think they have any ability to do much else but use excessive force without thinking.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2020, 01:58 PM   #22
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
America, such a sad place.
We are not without our problems:

Discrimination of Aboriginals on Native Lands in Canada

https://www.un.org/en/chronicle/arti...e-lands-canada

Saskatoon freezing deaths

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saskatoon_freezing_deaths

Last edited by troutman; 05-26-2020 at 02:01 PM.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2020, 02:04 PM   #23
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
We are not without our problems:

Discrimination of Aboriginals on Native Lands in Canada

https://www.un.org/en/chronicle/arti...e-lands-canada

Saskatoon freezing deaths

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saskatoon_freezing_deaths
I didn't say we are/were.

We have many many warts, but if we are honest they pale in comparison with the US, both currently and historically.

This is a thread about the death of a black man from what appears to be the direct result of the actions of a police department in the US.

I didn't think it was the place to comment on Canada's issues.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
Old 05-26-2020, 02:22 PM   #24
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think I'm more surprised at people being surprised in this thread.

Michael Brown, Trayvon Martin, Ahmaud Arbery, the list goes on. These are just the ones that became household names. How many countless fly under the radar?

The racism is institutional in the USA and it's sickening. Trump being elected just emboldened those that think if you ain't WASP, you ain't American.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2020, 02:22 PM   #25
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
Trouble is they hire them straight out of the armed forces, frankly if there is a worse place to find a cop than the military at the best of times its hard to imagine (with no disrespect to very brave men and women intended), but these days when they have spent 4 or 5 years in a kill or be killed environment its absurd to think they have any ability to do much else but use excessive force without thinking.

I think a lot of the problem is that all cops have been trained in much the same way soldiers are. Minneapolis in fact is the first to step away from this training ideology...maybe not soon enough...

Minneapolis Bans Warrior Style For Police Officers...

https://nextcity.org/daily/entry/min...olice-officers

Quote:
“That’s why today we’re announcing that the Minneapolis Police Department will be — we believe — the first major department in the nation to prohibit fear-based training” both on and off-duty. “Warrior-style” training takes a fear-based approach to policing that prioritizes officer safety over community safety by conditioning trainees to view all encounters as inherently dangerous. The most well-known examples are offered by retired Lt. Colonel Dave Grossman and his Grossman Academy. The philosophy behind his courses and his book, “On Killing,” is this: Both soldiers and police officers should be trained to kill with less hesitation.
The Following User Says Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2020, 02:40 PM   #26
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

The way black lives are viewed as expendable in the USA distresses me greatly.

I can’t imagine how it must feel to be a person of colour in the western world as racism is still very much everywhere.
The Following User Says Thank You to flames_fan_down_under For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2020, 03:10 PM   #27
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Feels like when this happens the training officers should be fired too. Clearly they failed miserably in their job.
Old 05-26-2020, 03:22 PM   #28
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jail. Life.

That was a blatant disregard for human life attempted to be covered up with flimsy verbal defense by the crowd control cop. "He's high and we've tried to get him in the car for 15 minutes." Doesn't negate the fact brosef, that you could have stepped back, tapped your partner on the shoulder and tell him to take his knee of the guys neck.

How could that cop even have his knee there knowing full well the optics would be devastating if anything happened (it did, he died on camera, JFC).

That was infuriating to watch. And sad. Compassionless police there.

That was horrible.

Last edited by dammage79; 05-26-2020 at 04:24 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2020, 03:50 PM   #29
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

That cop should go to jail. Such disregard for another human being. I get that the guy on the ground was likely bigger and stronger than him but he was on the ground in cuffs. If you have to sit on the guy, at least don't do it on his neck when he is gasping for air and can't breathe. Hell even taser the guy or something until help arrives, it has to be better than killing him on camera!

I bet this cop believes that he did nothing wrong either, that is the sad part. He was following "protocol". Right.

That was really hard to watch, just so sad and they need to throw the book at this cop and really start punishing these murderers wearing these uniforms.

To be honest, I haven't had any issues with police officers or seen anything remotely close to brutality. I know people resist arrest, are on drugs, etc but there has to be a better way to handle these situations. Is there any info on what happened before this video started? What was the guy doing to get arrested?
Old 05-26-2020, 03:57 PM   #30
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Saw the video on Twitter earlier, it made my skin crawl. Listening to him gurgle while the cop won't let up..and despite all the (much deserved) chirping at the officers, those watching were quite composed. Pretty clear who the bad guys are in that situation.

In the past I found I tended to sympathize with the police a bit, just because I felt they're kind of in a no-win situation and public sentiment is SO against them.. I've known plenty of good officers with good hearts. But stuff like this - and the countless other incidents before it - completely justifies all the hate. Think that video was finally the tipping point for me. Enough is enough, that's beyond unacceptable.
Old 05-26-2020, 04:09 PM   #31
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

This guy may have a bad time going forward.

Old 05-26-2020, 04:13 PM   #32
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by foshizzle11 View Post
Is there any info on what happened before this video started? What was the guy doing to get arrested?
MSP Police are claiming he resisted arrest, but even if he was a confirmed homicide perpetrator I'm not sure deliberately killing him was the correct course of action.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1265311733285036032

I guess I'll just throw my 2 cents in as somebody of colour - it's weird, years ago when my mom used to tell me "any day the police don't kill you because of the colour of our skin, it's a good day" I thought she was exaggerating, but it's started to make sense in recent years. The general advice for anybody of colour is to do everything in your power limit your interactions with the police as much as possible; we just do that by default in it works fairly well. It starts to get scary when they kill you for absolutely no reason.

Last edited by Acey; 05-26-2020 at 04:20 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2020, 04:18 PM   #33
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's disturbing how casual they were when the guy was clearly suffering. They could see everything the other bystanders could see.

All the officers there need to be fired straight away, a couple charged with accessory to murder, and at least one charged with murder. Not that any amount of money will help, but I hope the family gets a monumental settlement for this.
Old 05-26-2020, 04:18 PM   #34
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Feels like when this happens the training officers should be fired too. Clearly they failed miserably in their job.
Easy

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
Old 05-26-2020, 04:23 PM   #35
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
It's disturbing how casual they were when the guy was clearly suffering. They could see everything the other bystanders could see.
I just don't know why that cop didn't think to himself, "there's 10 people filming me kill this guy, maybe I shouldn't do it." Like there's a fine art to killing unarmed people in 2020, and this guy failed badly.
Old 05-26-2020, 04:48 PM   #36
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nothing will change. Why the violent takedowns in non-violent situations? They were there on a forgery call, not an armed robbery. I'm sure we'll see the usual circle the wagons smear campaign against the deceased, he had a dime bag once or something so clearly he deserved to die.
The Following User Says Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2020, 04:55 PM   #37
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
I just don't know why that cop didn't think to himself, "there's 10 people filming me kill this guy, maybe I shouldn't do it." Like there's a fine art to killing unarmed people in 2020, and this guy failed badly.
He (the cop) looked disturbingly content and relaxed. Certainly not afraid or anything.

I can't imagine how terrified that poor man must have been.
Old 05-26-2020, 05:30 PM   #38
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
He (the cop) looked disturbingly content and relaxed. Certainly not afraid or anything.
Maybe I'm way off on this, but the only thing I can think of is that this type of restraint is their policy, or more specifically he thought he was correctly applying restraint and would therefore be exonerated from the subsequent medical distress? Watching it again, I get that feeling that he legitimately felt like he was doing the right thing. The immediate firing of everybody involved suggests otherwise, but this video is as bizarre as it is heinous.

Edit:
Quote:
The big picture: The man, identified as George Floyd, was being arrested for alleged forgery and appeared to be under the influence of alcohol or drugs, according to a police press conference Monday night. Police say he resisted arrest before suffering from “medical distress."

John Elder, the police spokesman, told the Tribune that the technique used was not a department-authorized chokehold.

Minneapolis police kill black people at a rate 13 times higher than white people — one of the largest racial disparities in the U.S., according to U.S. crime data collected from mappingpoliceviolence.org.
[ur=https://www.axios.com/fbi-investigate-minneapolis-police-8c828017-4762-4d53-8e58-866a9d970f18.html]Link[/url]

Minneapolis mayor (young, good looking white guy):

https://twitter.com/user/status/1265359374010273792

And he had a Facebook live condemning it. So it seems like this is going about as well as it could at this stage? He should maybe setup some kind of taskforce to figure out why his police department likes killing black people so much but at this rate the FBI will do that for him.

Last edited by Acey; 05-26-2020 at 05:47 PM.
Old 05-26-2020, 06:41 PM   #39
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
Yes but it is really really important to not look like you are taking any advice or have any concern for anything a bystander says, its page one of the community policing handbook, 'Never ever look weak or indecisive in the community, if challenged in any way double down'
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2020, 06:52 PM   #40
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Video for those who aren't aware of the incident that Galakonokis is referring to.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1264965252866641920

Fortunately, nothing happened to the black man in this case. The Karen was fired from her job after her company identified her.
Yeeeeeesh... normally I'm pretty much against peoples' lives being ruined when they do or say something stupid that ends up being broadcast to the mob on social media who in turn demand that person's utter destruction... but in this case, that's a tough piece of ground to stand on. Just awful.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread