Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2021, 06:40 PM   #10901
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default 2020/2021 Trade Speculation and Rumours

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMc View Post
I'm on board with you man. I think if Gaudreau heads off somewhere with a center that is good at 'center type things', one who plays with speed, can make a creative play, etc. and maybe a winger who isn't a fringe NHLer - it's back to 90 points a season for Johnny.

He's literally the only guy on that line anyone has to even remotely care about defensively. He is responsible for transition to offense both because sure he wants the puck but also because Monahan and Ritchie cannot bring it up.

There is all this noise about Gaudreau not resigning because he wants to head home. More likely is he wants to play in a city that is competitive, has a shot at a cup and will give him a chance to succeed (with appropriate linemates).

If he's not resigning in Calgary its probably because we have won what 1 playoff round in the 7 years he's been here? And he gets to play with Nick Ritchie and his buddy who is falling apart before out eyes.

Here's hoping the split of of these two on two diff lines on Saturday showcases something for both players (especially Gaudreau).

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

Right, I mean I don’t we as fans can appreciate how good he’s been here and how much of a treat he’s been to watch. No offense to Darryl, but his system is like watching paint dry, worse then I remembered back when in the 2000s. Dump ins and spamming point shots especially in a loss is not entertaining.

But back to my original point. 80-90 point players don’t grow on trees and I think because of how good Johnny is, he’s been able to carry his line and his team at times like a 1st overall pick. But trying to win with just a winger lead team has proven time and time again to not be successful. Watching Kucherov and Point with Tampa last season in the playoffs, they’re like a symphony out there. 2 similarly small, skilled guys who can both make plays, rush up ice and keep the opposition guessing.

The Flames don’t have a second option out there, it’s always puck to Johnny, go create something, or else. It’s a damn shame because for years this was a one line team, then we finally get a little more depth and his line gets figured out. Just par for the course for Flames fans, always left disappointed somehow or another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Classic_Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2021, 06:47 PM   #10902
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
Right, I mean I don’t we as fans can appreciate how good he’s been here and how much of a treat he’s been to watch. No offense to Darryl, but his system is like watching paint dry, worse then I remembered back when in the 2000s. Dump ins and spamming point shots especially in a loss is not entertaining.

But back to my original point. 80-90 point players don’t grow on trees and I think because of how good Johnny is, he’s been able to carry his line and his team at times like a 1st overall pick. But trying to win with just a winger lead team has proven time and time again to not be successful. Watching Kucherov and Point with Tampa last season in the playoffs, they’re like a symphony out there. 2 similarly small, skilled guys who can both make plays, rush up ice and keep the opposition guessing.

The Flames don’t have a second option out there, it’s always puck to Johnny, go create something, or else. It’s a damn shame because for years this was a one line team, then we finally get a little more depth and his line gets figured out. Just par for the course for Flames fans, always left disappointed somehow or another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I honestly don't even think we can blame Sutter's system (which is Ward's system) for games being boring. Prior to Sutter, this team was already the worst in the league at generating chances off the rush in the league.

I think Sutter's biggest sin as coach has been this:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1379952585633792000

That right there is just stupid...although it has helped us stumble down the standings, which is a good thing at this stage so...Cool. Cool cool cool.

Last edited by ComixZone; 04-07-2021 at 06:53 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2021, 06:51 PM   #10903
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMc View Post
I'm on board with you man. I think if Gaudreau heads off somewhere with a center that is good at 'center type things', one who plays with speed, can make a creative play, etc. and maybe a winger who isn't a fringe NHLer - it's back to 90 points a season for Johnny.

He's literally the only guy on that line anyone has to even remotely care about defensively. He is responsible for transition to offense both because sure he wants the puck but also because Monahan and Ritchie cannot bring it up.

There is all this noise about Gaudreau not resigning because he wants to head home. More likely is he wants to play in a city that is competitive, has a shot at a cup and will give him a chance to succeed (with appropriate linemates).

If he's not resigning in Calgary its probably because we have won what 1 playoff round in the 7 years he's been here? And he gets to play with Nick Ritchie and his buddy who is falling apart before out eyes.

Here's hoping the split of of these two on two diff lines on Saturday showcases something for both players (especially Gaudreau).

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk
I would add that I don’t think Johnny would want to play Sutter hockey ,especially on a contract year. Flames were probably going to trade Johnny in the off season for many reasons . I think now that Sutter is at the helm he will be asking for a trade also.
Old 04-07-2021, 06:55 PM   #10904
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by genetic_phreek View Post

Please don't happen
Has Adams been possessed by Peter Chiarelli? That trade will go down as one of the worst in NHL history.
Old 04-07-2021, 07:00 PM   #10905
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Has Adams been possessed by Peter Chiarelli? That trade will go down as one of the worst in NHL history.
The tweet mentioned it was a theoretical trade, so probably just speculation at this time.
Old 04-07-2021, 07:00 PM   #10906
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

That is an unbelievably bad return for Eichel/Dahlin... like wow bad. GM’s I’m sure must be reaching out to see if they can top it right!?!?
Old 04-07-2021, 07:12 PM   #10907
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
I honestly don't even think we can blame Sutter's system (which is Ward's system) for games being boring. Prior to Sutter, this team was already the worst in the league at generating chances off the rush in the league.

That right there is just stupid...although it has helped us stumble down the standings, which is a good thing at this stage so...Cool. Cool cool cool.
Absolute madness.

Gaudreau, Monahan, Tkachuk, Lindholm, Mangiapane and Backlund should be above him easily. Perhaps Dube too.
Old 04-07-2021, 07:27 PM   #10908
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

The problem isn’t that Ritchie is on that line. It’s that has been the better player on that line too often. He competes more than the other two on most nights. If Monahan and Gaudreau were still as good as people say, they should be able to carry a player like that, but they can’t.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 04-07-2021 at 08:38 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FlamesAddiction For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2021, 07:27 PM   #10909
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is anyone surprised that Ritchie seems to be a Sutter favourite? I’m definitely not. It’s like being surprised that grass turns green.
Old 04-07-2021, 07:29 PM   #10910
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Josh Anderson.... so close. So freaking close. Then we wouldn’t need to worry about Ritchie playing on that line.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2021, 07:56 PM   #10911
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
How is that a fair deal?
Yeah, its not quite so good. I thought Hischier was on a way better contract. At $7.25M a season that is a bad take. There would have to be a lot more heading to Buffalo. A couple first round picks might (one from the Islanders) might make up for it. Hughes and Hischier make up two number ones to counter the number ones coming from Buffalo. The balance is found in contracts, which we've just seen is the most important aspect in trade values right now.
Old 04-07-2021, 08:04 PM   #10912
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Is anyone surprised that Ritchie seems to be a Sutter favourite? I’m definitely not. It’s like being surprised that grass turns green.

Sutter wants more effort...
The Following User Says Thank You to DazzlinDino For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2021, 08:04 PM   #10913
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
That is an unbelievably bad return for Eichel/Dahlin... like wow bad. GM’s I’m sure must be reaching out to see if they can top it right!?!?
I read that as a trade suggestion by the network, and not an actual trade.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2021, 08:04 PM   #10914
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Called this.

https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showpo...&postcount=451

Don't be shocked with the results we've seen.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2021, 08:21 PM   #10915
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Is Mike Vernon a jerk? That's disappointing. I know my dad wasn't a huge fan after seeing Vernon stumble out of a bar very drunk the night before a big playoff game.

I thought you were just making the same point that FanIn80 did.

Very much a jerk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-07-2021, 08:53 PM   #10916
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzlinDino View Post
Sutter wants more effort...
Yeah, he likes to insert energy into the top lines and that line holy frick needs it. If Sutter had a Ferland, Anderson, or Brown on the RW, I am sure he would prefer that. He doesn't... he has Ritchie, so here we are. Treliving utterly failed to address that position. He knows it's an issue too because he tried to get Anderson, but it is still a failure. Everyone knows as it has been obvious for a long time.

If you put Lindholm there and stack the line, it depletes the other lines. Mangiapane doesn't have the physicality the Monahan/Gaudreau line needs. Dube will get there, but needs more time.

This problem falls squarely on Treliving. Sutter is just putting a huge exclamation point on it.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 04-07-2021 at 08:56 PM.
Old 04-07-2021, 10:13 PM   #10917
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Guessing you didn't click on the spoiler tags by FanIn80...

Oh wait, is Vernon a jerk?
I knew several people who worked at the Ranchman's back in the day-they used to have to throw Vernie and Theo out many times. I think Vernie has grown up though. My brother had a seat at a game beside the Flames bench one night, when Vernon was the back-up (in his second go-round with the Flames), and he interacted with the fans all night.

Last edited by Sandman; 04-07-2021 at 10:19 PM.
Old 04-07-2021, 10:28 PM   #10918
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

This, to me, falls on Treliving. His inability to find a RW for that line since Hudler was traded is inexcusable and is probably the biggest black mark on his record.
Old 04-07-2021, 10:34 PM   #10919
FlamesAreOne
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
This, to me, falls on Treliving. His inability to find a RW for that line since Hudler was traded is inexcusable and is probably the biggest black mark on his record.
I'm still going with head coaching hires as his #1.
Old 04-07-2021, 10:35 PM   #10920
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
Is the James Neal signing included within this? If so, I agree.
Closed Thread