Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-28-2010, 07:27 PM   #21
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonFourTwo View Post
CaptainCrunch.....are you fairly active? I used to go through (typically) 3-5 day long bouts every couple of months.....lasted almost 15 years. Once I got serious about physical activity (ie. 30-90 mins, 3 to 5 times per week) the insomnia literally vanished. Haven't had a bout in almost 3 years.

Dunno....not scientific or anything, just one dude's experience. Thought it may help?
I go to the gym 5 days a week an hour and a half a day, including at least 30 minutes of some kind of cardio activity.

Honestly think that my problem is job stress related and the fact that I take things way too seriously and personally.

But I've always been fairly high strung.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 08:20 PM   #22
burning_acid1
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Taking antihistamines right before bed helps me sleep.
burning_acid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 08:40 PM   #23
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Yeah sleep meds would help you. But if it's a chronic problem maybe talk to your Doctor.

When I get tense I also have problems sleeping, but there's not much I can really do. I usually just study/read/watch tv until I get tired. I find running or doing anything that releases epinephrine/NE to be worse.
wooohooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 09:56 PM   #24
Hipcheck
Farm Team Player

Exp:

I wouldn't see that as such a bad thing considering there's not enough time in the day for me to get stuff done. but then again, id probably feel terrible all the time
Hipcheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:11 PM   #25
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Has anyone suggested chewing some valerian root?
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:43 PM   #26
HOOT
Franchise Player

Exp:

I woke up at 10am Saturday morning....I'm still up! And really don't feel like going to bed at all but know I should. Ugh!
HOOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 05:43 AM   #27
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I passed out at 8 and am now wide awake. Does that count?
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:08 AM   #28
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

I used to not be able to fall asleep. What fixed me was talk radio - I found that if you lay in bed and put talk radio on low volume, then concentrate on listening, before you know it, you are out! For me it was Rob Kerr on the Flames post-game show - thanks for fixing my insomnia.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 01:18 PM   #29
bradster57
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weiser Wonder View Post
I used to have a hell of a time sleeping. What I did was starting watching TV right before bed, something easy going like The Simpsons or Seinfeld. It distracts me while not engaging me too heavily. I'll watch one episode, if that doesn't work I'll get up and do something, wait to get tired. If it's taking a while I'll sedate myself with whatever I have kicking around the medicine cabinet. That sounds a little iffy but taking minor drugs to sleep is much, much better than staying up all night.
+1. I've had bouts of insomnia usually lasting 2 or 3 weeks. I have found that shows like the Simpsons and Seinfeld help. I've seen every episode so I don't feel bad about sleeping halfway through it's over.
bradster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 05:24 AM   #30
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just had to bump this very old thread (newest insomnia one I found), going through a major bout of insomnia right now. It's a family trait unfortunately, but I have it worse than anyone in my family. I find even Melatonin and Mercyndol don't really work anymore, Melatonin gets me about 4-5hrs, Mercyndol maybe 5-7 if I'm lucky. 8's impossible.

My problem isn't falling asleep, its staying asleep. I get up to pee at like 3am and then its just game over, I'm up the rest of the night. My mind just races. Sometimes anxiety, but usually just random anythings that pop in there, Flames, whatever. I see I'm not alone, how do you guys handle it?

EDIT: I find the worst part for it this time of year is after 3-4 days of it I just get so worn down that I end up getting sick, like the cold I'm catching now. Totally sleep-related.

Last edited by Sainters7; 11-01-2011 at 05:28 AM.
Sainters7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 05:37 AM   #31
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

your not alone, I am here dealing with the same thing. I am lucky, I don't get sick.

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:19 AM   #32
HOZ
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Day 3 sitting up at 3:00 after staring at the walls for the last 4 hours.

Who needs coffee.

3 letters

CBC
HOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:30 AM   #33
Cowperson
CP Pontiff

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Just had to bump this very old thread (newest insomnia one I found), going through a major bout of insomnia right now. It's a family trait unfortunately, but I have it worse than anyone in my family. I find even Melatonin and Mercyndol don't really work anymore, Melatonin gets me about 4-5hrs, Mercyndol maybe 5-7 if I'm lucky. 8's impossible.

My problem isn't falling asleep, its staying asleep. I get up to pee at like 3am and then its just game over, I'm up the rest of the night. My mind just races. Sometimes anxiety, but usually just random anythings that pop in there, Flames, whatever. I see I'm not alone, how do you guys handle it?

EDIT: I find the worst part for it this time of year is after 3-4 days of it I just get so worn down that I end up getting sick, like the cold I'm catching now. Totally sleep-related.
Eat supper earlier in the day. Don't snack through the evening. Eat a bit less maybe and you won't have to pee at 3 pm.

Exercise at some point through the day. That'll take some of the anxiety off.

Of course, its not even 6:30 am and I'm sitting in a diner typing this.

Cowperson
Old 11-01-2011, 06:30 AM   #34
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quick fix for insomnia.

2 ounces strawberry icecream
4 ounces of diet coke/pepsi
2 egg whites

blend in
Spoiler!

Drink and sleep well!
T@T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 07:40 AM   #35
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've had trouble with insomnia all my life. I have medication that helps and doesn't have too annoying side effects (they still bug me occasionally though). Gets worse when I'm under stress, which is obviously great because being tired makes one handle stress so much better.

Paying a lot of attention to my sleeping conditions has helped.

- Bedroom has dark curtains and is quiet. (I actually used to sleep with earplugs in our previous apartment, which wasn't too bad either.)
- I have a stereo set that has decent sound quality (bad quality irritates me) and accepts mp3:s on a USB-stick (so there's no sound from the CD mechanism which can also get on my nerves if I have trouble sleeping). We got rid of my wifes old ticking clock. Now there's just some music (and her snoring, which is also relaxing).

I bought a better mattress, a better blanket and a better pillow, all of which contribute. Also, a bit of exercise and semi-regular habits right before bedtime. (This usually includes a small snack.) I still have bouts of insomnia, but when I do sleep, I sleep great, which takes away a lot of the discomfort.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 07:46 AM   #36
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks, ya I used to use earplugs and agree they work. Unfortunately I'm not able to use them at the moment because I'm a new Edu. grad and am thus doing the ol' subbing routine right now, which consists of a potential morning phone call between 6-7am. I'm way too scared I'll miss it with earplugs. Good motivation to keep throwing resumes around anyway (though subbing's actually a pretty sweet gig, minus the morning call)

And good call to everyone saying to do something strenuous, kinda forgot about how well that works. I keep in pretty good shape in the summer but have been slacking this fall as usual. Think its time to go hit the gym again..
Old 11-01-2011, 08:21 AM   #37
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Melatonin is your friend.
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:23 AM   #38
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-bo09 View Post
Melatonin is your friend.
Not last night it wasn't. Took a full one, fell asleep at 11pm, been hopelessly up since 3am. I seem to be impervious to Melatonin/Mercyndol these days, its quite alarming actually.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:46 AM   #39
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Day 3 sitting up at 3:00 after staring at the walls for the last 4 hours.

Who needs coffee.
There's the problem, you forgot to close your eyes.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:05 AM   #40
J pold
Franchise Player

Exp:

I go through a bout of insomnia for a few nights every couple of months. It used to be a lot worse but has toned down in the last few years, one thing I find helps is to not stress about it. I used to get caught in the cycle of “ok if I fall asleep in the next ten minutes I’ll get five hours of sleep” and then ten minutes later when I’m still awake I start to stress that I’m not asleep yet – which makes it even more difficult to fall asleep.

Now when I feel like some insomnia is coming on I just don’t worry about it. So I won’t get a great sleep for the next few nights, and am going to be a bit tired, and have to drink a few more cups of coffee tomorrow. It’s really not the end of the world, and when I let the stress go I either fall asleep anyway or don’t even feel that crappy the next morning.
J pold is offline   Reply With Quote