Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2018, 05:28 PM   #21
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mile View Post
I always keep going back to SuperMatt18's post as to why the Flames should not trade for Simmonds:
Thanks

Didn't want to have to quote myself for the third time here.

30 year old, non-elite power forward types, that are becoming overly reliant on powerplay points to drive their production are not good pick ups.

That is how you end up with Troy Brouwer on a big contract playing as your 13th forward. If the Flames are going to spend assets it should be to bring in a guy between 22-26. Not a 30 year old who is going to want a 4-5 year extension in a year.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 06-21-2018 at 05:31 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2018, 05:44 PM   #22
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

He'd be a perfect fit if he had like 3 or 4 years left on a deal paying him around $5 million per.

Problem is he only has one year left and then will be looking for a 6/7 year extension that will take him to 36/37 years old at $6 million plus AAV.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2018, 05:52 PM   #23
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

No overpaying for more over the hill "power forwards"
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 06:20 PM   #24
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhitbox View Post
I don't know if we need an already aging player. the flames need long-term players
I'm glad our current roster is in suspended animation stasis, reanimated only when there are games and practices.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 07:01 PM   #25
bluck
First Line Centre

Exp:

Appreciate the responses, certainly changed my view of him especially Matt’s post comparing him to Brouwer
bluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 07:02 PM   #26
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love Simmonds but he's my pick for the next Ladd brutal FA contract. Guy is going to get paid based on what he did 2-3 years ago and never come near it again
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2018, 07:21 PM   #27
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Slowly the NHL is starting to follow the NFL and the time of 30 year old UFA's getting big paydays is slowly coming to an end. There will always be some elite players that can carry their play well into their 30's but teams are getting burned big time by overpaying complementary players on the decline. This guy is a complementary player who's best days are probably behind him. Good pick up for the right price but not a player you want to invest long term.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 03:29 AM   #28
Dajazz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'll just echo what many have said - he'll be the next Brouwer/Ladd signing unfortunately.
Dajazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 06:26 AM   #29
iloveicedhockey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If the Philly fans are anything to go by (I know us fans can be somewhat unrealistic), they really covet dougie but given than sanheim is already better (lulz) a package around Simmonds should be enough...
iloveicedhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 07:02 AM   #30
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't necessarily think Simmonds is a fit but I don't think the Flames are a team that should be turning up their noses at guys who can score on the power play, considering how bad our power play is.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 08:18 AM   #31
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:
Default Would Wayne Simmonds be a fit for the Flames?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
I don't necessarily think Simmonds is a fit but I don't think the Flames are a team that should be turning up their noses at guys who can score on the power play, considering how bad our power play is.
I don’t think that had much to do with the collection of individual players. The same group was a top-ten powerplay the year before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 08:34 AM   #32
Johnhitbox
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
I'm glad our current roster is in suspended animation stasis, reanimated only when there are games and practices.
Okay, how about this. we don't need a player that is already in his 30's.. I'm in my 30's and I find it hard just existing.
Johnhitbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 11:47 AM   #33
Philly06Cup
Closet Jedi

Exp:

Last years numbers will be off because he was playing through a lot of injuries.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/ho...y-of-injuries/

He played the entire season with a torn pelvis, because he didn't want to take time of for surgery, while also dealing with other knee/ankle/groin injuries.

I disagree that he doesn't play a full game. He has played on the PK before, and was a guy the coach trusts in the last 2 minutes of a game. Given how good young prospects are in Philly and their commitment to Giroux/Voracek, he is a great buy low / trade low.
Old 06-22-2018, 11:50 AM   #34
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

No.

His numbers have been declining for the last two years right alongside his ability to drive the play forward. He'll be 31 when his next contract kicks in, and that contract will likely be poisonous by year 2 (if not in year 1).

Simmonds best days are gone, and locking into him long term would be a disaster.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2018, 12:49 PM   #35
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
powerplay points to drive their production are not good pick ups.

That is how you end up with Troy Brouwer on a big contract playing as your 13th forward. If the Flames are going to spend assets it should be to bring in a guy between 22-26. Not a 30 year old who is going to want a 4-5 year extension in a year.
This is why I think trades are very hard to make. A proven 22 to 26 year old player is something teams do not like to part with in a trade, unless they are getting a better one of those back in return. Than you get guys in that age who maybe have not yet hit their ceiling, but they are still young, and you don't want to give up on those players. Sam Bennett is a perfect example of that.

I think you are very correct in suggesting that you really want to avoid the 29 and over guys getting big dollars and big term. Wayne Simmons is a proven scorer, but in his case the past results are unlikely to be indicative of future performance. Even 2 seasons ago, he was pretty much the ideal piece that the Flames could have added. Today...yes he could help, but in order to add him for more than one year, you are likley eating 2-3 bad ones.
Old 06-22-2018, 03:58 PM   #36
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'd love Simmonds but the term and dollar value he is going to get isn't worth it. He's a 50 point player who is getting older and isn't quick to begin with. If you gotta pay him 7x8 or something similar I think the money would be better spent elsewhere. Rather pay Tavares 12.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 04:02 PM   #37
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackey View Post
I'd love Simmonds but the term and dollar value he is going to get isn't worth it. He's a 50 point player who is getting older and isn't quick to begin with. If you gotta pay him 7x8 or something similar I think the money would be better spent elsewhere. Rather pay Tavares 12.
Simmonds is not a UFA. The only way to acquire him is through a trade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 07:58 AM   #38
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Hes UFA in a year which is why there is even the talk of him being available. Clearly if youre trading for him it's with the caveat that he signs an extension. That extension is likely onna be a major pay day and a bad contract. No interest.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote