Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2018, 08:46 PM   #141
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
Which is not a meaningful political office in this country. He was a bench-warmer for one of the safest Liberal seats in the country. A dog could do that job, and when I think of some of the backbench MPs I have seen, I suspect some dogs have been doing it.
You can say that about every Con MP from Alberta. I mean Joan SunTV Crockatt was a MP...
Johnny Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:49 PM   #142
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Here's a comparison of Trudeau and Trump:

Neither had any meaningful political experience before being parachuted into a campaign for the highest office in the country.

Neither man has any political qualifications.

Both got elected partly on name recognition for reasons entirely irrelevant to the job at hand, but chiefly because their opponents had made themselves so odious that large swathes of the public could not bring themselves to vote for them.

Neither one is fit for the office he now holds.

Neither one is as unfit as some of the colossal boobs who have held those offices in the past.

How's that for dumb?
That is pretty dumb. Trump is brain damaged racist piece of crap. You can't even compare him to Putin or Kim. They are both way smarter than him.
Johnny Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny Makarov For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2018, 08:58 PM   #143
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
I did not know Roger Millions was the court-side announcer in this Heritage Minute from a few years ago. It's his only entry in www.imdb.com.

Stuff you find Googling.

I remember as a kid going to see a Grads game. It was reunion type thing, against a senior mens team of some sort. I believe at the time the Grads were in their early 70s? Anyway, they could still play. You could see how natural it still was to them.
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:59 PM   #144
Hatter
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Which is not a meaningful political office in this country. He was a bench-warmer for one of the safest Liberal seats in the country. A dog could do that job, and when I think of some of the backbench MPs I have seen, I suspect some dogs have been doing it.
I disagree. I believe holding political office for 8 years counts as political qualification.

You don't think he picked up ANY relevent political skills in his time as a critic or party leader? That doesn't seem to be a reasonable assumption.
Hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hatter For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2018, 01:44 AM   #145
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I guess I don't get why people feel like they need to do that stuff targeted to a specific individual who has been a member of this board.
But I guess if people are happy with that level of conversation - fill your boots.
I found it to be unfunny, arrogant and lame.
I would hope that being a member of this board wouldn't make someone immune for being called out on their ####ty positions.

If you're a member here, and your views are garbage, then they should be called out as garbage.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2018, 07:44 AM   #146
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
I would hope that being a member of this board wouldn't make someone immune for being called out on their ####ty positions.

If you're a member here, and your views are garbage, then they should be called out as garbage.
I agree with this.

However, I also agree with Jiri to some extent mostly because it feels like some people aren't calling out Millions because of his ####ty positions but are calling him out as a ####ty person.
Old 06-22-2018, 08:30 AM   #147
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
There are plenty of good, intelligent reasons to criticize Trudeau. Trying to manufacture a desperate argument that serving for nearly a decade as an elected Member of Parliament does not count as "meaningful political office" is not one of them.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2018, 08:31 AM   #148
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

Probably time to move this thread into the off topic forum...
Old 06-22-2018, 08:31 AM   #149
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Do you really think Jordan’s haha stupid roger post was truly him offering up political commentary?
Or was he just being a jerk?
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 08:36 AM   #150
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the2bears View Post
I remember as a kid going to see a Grads game. It was reunion type thing, against a senior mens team of some sort. I believe at the time the Grads were in their early 70s? Anyway, they could still play. You could see how natural it still was to them.
Did they wear those awesome uniforms?

The last line of that video talks about their record as if their win/loss record is unmatched in sports as if the Harlem Globetrotters don't exist...
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 08:44 AM   #151
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Honestly Jiri, just lock this thread. It's clearly gone off the tracks, and continuing to argue in the defence of a former colleague - while understandable - is only stressing you out.

We have an Alberta politicis thread if any meaningful discussion is to be had.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2018, 08:57 AM   #152
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

Using a meme that is used for any number of things on CP isn't classy??

Rog is a big boy and entered into politics, if he read my post I'm sure he could deal with it.
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 09:00 AM   #153
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

I might be missing something but what has Roger said or done that make his views "garbage"? Is it strictly due to his right wing ideology that irks you or has he actually made highly questionable statements himself? Unless there are specific communications he has made, I think it's extremely problematic to essentially dismiss someone as an idiot based on a re-tweet or something to that effect.

Last edited by Hot_Flatus; 06-22-2018 at 09:10 AM.
Hot_Flatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 09:01 AM   #154
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Another thread that is killed by the Trump obsession. Can't this all be kept in the orange Potus thread, or the Canadian politics thread if it relates to NAFTA and trade.

Last edited by Flamenspiel; 06-22-2018 at 09:04 AM.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flamenspiel For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2018, 09:17 AM   #155
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
I might be missing something but what has Roger said that make his views "garbage"?
He's a Trump Cultist.

I will say this for him... he did a good job scrubbing his Twitter account (which an alarming number of political candidates don't). He used to maniacally retweet all manner of deplorable MAGA crap but a cursery look at his twitter page reveals that it's all mysteriously disappeared into the void.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 09:18 AM   #156
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Did they wear those awesome uniforms?

The last line of that video talks about their record as if their win/loss record is unmatched in sports as if the Harlem Globetrotters don't exist...

Honestly it was so long ago I don't remember the uniforms. But the kit they had in the video shown was great.
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 09:18 AM   #157
Tacopuck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
Another thread that is killed by the Trump obsession. Can't this all be kept in the orange Potus thread, or the Canadian politics thread if it relates to NAFTA and trade.
Trump Derangement Syndrome strikes again
Old 06-22-2018, 09:29 AM   #158
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
He's a Trump Cultist.

I will say this for him... he did a good job scrubbing his Twitter account (which an alarming number of political candidates don't). He used to maniacally retweet all manner of deplorable MAGA crap but a cursery look at his twitter page reveals that it's all mysteriously disappeared into the void.
Fair enough - I wish I could see some tangible evidence. I just find it hard to believe that anyone could maintain employment at an organization such as Rogers while sharing or retweeting deplorable statements people are suggesting for the world to see on social media.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:33 AM   #159
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
I did not know Roger Millions was the court-side announcer in this Heritage Minute from a few years ago. It's his only entry in www.imdb.com.

Stuff you find Googling.
They're no Edmonton Swastikas.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 02:14 PM   #160
Cactus Jack
First Line Centre

Exp:

From a strictly political standpoint, anti-Trudeau Canadians need to see the bigger picture. They think Trudeau is the laughing stock of the world? I´ve lived between Brazil and Switzerland the past 8 years - Trudeau is almost universally adored worldwide, and it´s not for his looks and youth the media focus on. What people focus on is his inclusive and positive values. The world needs more of that, politics aside.

Feel free to dislike Trudeau and the carbon tax all you want, vote against him next election if you want, but he´s a LEADER on the world stage for his values and that´s good for Canada. There´s no way he´s seen as a joke globally when you have the likes of Trump, Putin, Le Pen, Italy´s 5 Star movement, Kim Jong Un, Maduro and any political leader in Brazil, just to mention a few.

Like him or not, we have a good leader in Canada and we should be as proud of him as the rest of the world is.